Cookers & , Ovens

Andrewcook

1 hour ago, grendel said:

although sometimes the numbers on the oven dial are meaningless i regularly bake bread onboard, its just a matter of keeping an eye on it and adjusting cooking times accordingly

I think that's true of most ovens unless you're spending a fortune. 

I am no fan of most ovens that are specifically designed for boats. The quality has dropped significantly over the last 20 years whilst the prices have risen. 

I would recommend a domestic one that has LPG conversion jets overall. The bomparni one recommended earlier is probably a sensible buy.

• Like 2

I had one like this on the Berwick. Running low the hotplates would also take the chill out of the cabin. I did not pay anything like £3400 for it in those days. But they will do total re-furbs and a Taylors cooker or cabin heatr will last a lifetime.

Screenshot_20201201-064108_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d85fb0a7f2fd717a93e6f9a80dff6125.jpg

14 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

I think that's true of most ovens unless you're spending a fortune. 

I am no fan of most ovens that are specifically designed for boats. The quality has dropped significantly over the last 20 years whilst the prices have risen. 

I would recommend a domestic one that has LPG conversion jets overall. The bomparni one recommended earlier is probably a sensible buy.

They do seem to be really awful, and it's not like pressure is a problem.

My rule of thumb is to set the knob to about 2 above what you think the gas mark setting needs to be, and to let the oven warm up for half a good twenty minutes before you need it.

I've never seen a Taylor's before, looks like a nice piece of engineering from the pics.

Just a note on domestic cookers: the tops of the burners are not screwed down like those for boats/caravans/campavans etc. Should be fine on inland waters I would think until a heavy impact. Tim & Pru probably have everything screwed down on that basis. :default_hiding:

• Like 1

Yes, but they are the serious cruisers choice. I did not want gas aboad when we had the Berwick. Very often we would leave Poole for Cherbourg. Half way across you are 40 miles from either coast and with a young family! I opted not to run it off the main tank but have the separate parafin tank.

A much cheaper alternative if you want no gas is Origo. They are good for cruising away from the Uk as you can buy clear 100% Alcohol in most other countries. The Uk blue stuff is a bit smelly.

Hi I agree with andy household/domestic ovens/cookers we have one only downside is that it needs 240 volt pure wav to ignite and run the program but there are other lower spec ones look at static caravan ones, they are cheaper than boat ones as they are not made from rust proof materials. john

• Like 1

2 hours ago, annv said:

Hi I agree with andy household/domestic ovens/cookers we have one only downside is that it needs 240 volt pure wav to ignite and run the program but there are other lower spec ones look at static caravan ones, they are cheaper than boat ones as they are not made from rust proof materials. john

I have a Hotpoint Creda Cucina in the Denham Owl. It's the 50cm version and to be honest, it's a bit big for the galley but hey ho, it came with the boat. I looked at a smaller one OBB was selling and that's when I noticed the screwed down burner tops. The previous owner used one of those extended gas lighters for ignition so I was careful how I told her it just needed a single AA battery in the compartment underneath the oven door and it works via a button! 

Rust can be a problem with the changing atmosphere of a boat; the underside of the burner tops can drop rust flakes into the jets if not cleaned on a regular basis.

We have a SMEV 4 burner hob with integral oven and grill built in. The rings and grill work pretty well, although you would be lucky to get 4 even half-decent sized pans on the hob at the same time. In practice it is not a problem, as we tend to use a "stack-up" steamer for cooking veggies, with the spuds in a pan underneath, The oven is a bit of a disappointment. I would estimate that it reaches between 160 and 180 deg C on its top setting and the heat is quite directional. I have cooked sausages, bacon, black pud, tomatoes, mushrooms etc in the oven, but have never cooked a roast in it. I suspect it could be done, but it would take a long time.

We tend to prepare casseroles, chilli, bolognese ragu and the like at home and bring them with us to the boat in a frozen "brick" form, which will stay frozen pretty well solid for a days or two in the fridge. We heat these on the hob or in the microwave along with any accompaniments.

2 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Without exception each and every one was awful.

For a long time my mother would make Yorkshire Pudding (baked in a single dish) that turned out with the consistency of neoprene wet suit.

Once she started to use milk/water 50/50 things improved.  Mine turn out as shown in post -6 above.

4 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Can make Yorkshire  puddings at home,freeze then take with you and reheat on the boat .

I make a big batch and freeze them for home use as well!  I just say how many Yorkshires do you want........and go to the freezer!

• Like 2