Great Yarmouth Outer Harbour

w44nty

I just heard on the radio that the 2 giant cranes in the harbour are being moved to Venice,the recession was blamed for the lack of container freight contracts,it appears that more Gov funded cash has gone down the drain.

At least the harbour is still there albeit if there are no ships using it,perhaps it is earmarked a theme park

3a.jpg

This a photograph taken at 1500 this afternoon.

2 container cranes that have been sitting in the outer harbour for,what, nearly 2 years. They never lifted a container to earn a ha'penny. Thats East Port for you. Its all very well blaming a down turn in container traffic,sorry, dosnt wash with me. Harwich, Felixtowe and the new Thames port are still going great guns, what does that indicate to you. It tells me that there is a major problem with the planning and infrastucture connected with Gt Yarmouths East Port

The outer harbour is not busy at all. No ships will go in there as there is too much swell.Too expensive as well. OK there is a Sea Jacks crane barge in there at the moment but that is jacked up on its legs.

They need to spend much more money on the port before it will become uasable. There is talk that they are considering narrowing the entrance to cut down on the swell, I think the only way they will cut down on the swell is to close the entrance up completly!!!

Rant over

Paul

John,

Every picture tells a story.

Why do you think they have shut the road way around the harbours mouth, then there is the closeure of Gorleston pier, the only way the public can see any thing of the outer harbour is from the sea or the air. They dont want Joe public to see what a complete farce the whole thing is. The ships that have used it could have got into the inner harbour including a couple of barges that have been in. The UR 101 barge belonging to the now defunct Subocean laid on Atlas wharf for months a couple of years ago.

There is a grain terminal in the harbour which is not used to load or unload because of the swell, the grain ships have to go into the inner harbour to work cargo.

Then there is the constant survey and dredging going on, but thats another story.

Paul

Bang on Paul.

It was ill thought through, I am not sure who did the business plan but he sure did not know Norfolk :roll:

As you say other Container Ports are still very busy so the 'downturn' just does not wash.

The biggest cost of importing a container once it gets to port is the transport Felixstowe is around £580 for the containers I import goodness knows what the cost from Yarmouth would be!

:wave having just read the remarks, it sounds to me like the government are playing dirty, it sounds like they are trying to move all the industry to the london area to make THEM more money , & as usual don't give a monkeys about the rest of the country,& it sounds like they are just making excuses to shut other ports.it's the same with chesterfield they've shut about 6 firms around here & most of the work has gone abroad, & they've built tescos on some of the sites, we've now got 5 tescos, which is ridiculous, who needs THAT many tescos ? :norty: lori

Be grateful it was not all our money but I believe EU money so the whole of Europe contributed - on a pro rata basis anyway!!!

Yes i am afraid it was always going to be a white elephant but I would not go as far as believing the conspiracy theory about shutting the road and pier - thats a bit far fetched as you can see whats going on from many other places in Yarmouth!!!!

However it is a great pity that despite the good intentions of bringing work and investment to a very run down area it was to no real avail - Yarmouth really does desperately need new investment but just how do you get new companies to move to the area? I am sure it will pick up work from the wind farm industry but work that Yarmouth would not have otherwise got? I doubt it - sadly.

:wave having just read the remarks, it sounds to me like the government are playing dirty, it sounds like they are trying to move all the industry to the london area to make THEM more money , & as usual don't give a monkeys about the rest of the country,& it sounds like they are just making excuses to shut other ports.it's the same with chesterfield they've shut about 6 firms around here & most of the work has gone abroad, & they've built tescos on some of the sites, we've now got 5 tescos, which is ridiculous, who needs THAT many tescos ? :norty: lori

Lori, Hi

The "government" didn't force anybody to either build the harbour or to use, or not use, it.

In fact it wasn't even this government you can blame....

And how does it make more money to move industry to London???

And no-one can surely blame the government for Tescos expansions???

Personally I think we should keep politics out of the Forum.............