Women Boat Building

Andrewcook

I've notice that I've not seen any Women doing Boat  Building Wil they ever be doing Boat building trade in the near future? As they seemed to have taken all men's job's so far and that's including all sporting activities . I believe they are putting us all men behind the Kitchen sink as Women used to do  while the men go out to work now it's the other way round now I believe? 

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

I've notice that I've not seen any Women doing Boat  Building Wil they ever be doing Boat building trade in the near future? As they seemed to have taken all men's job's so far and that's including all sporting activities . I believe they are putting us all men behind the Kitchen sink as Women used to do  while the men go out to work now it's the other way round now I believe? 

I'm going to reply to your question but I just have to get the wife's permission first...

I suspect that yard owners have steered clear of lady boatbuilders. There would be a danger of excess curtains and shoe storage and why would anyone buy a glossy, pink gin palace adorned with frills and fancies?

Seriously though, several ladies are learning the trade at Lowestoft's boat building training centre. Also at Robin's boatyard on Lake Lothing the boat painter is very definitely female!  Our man's world is being infiltrated!

• Haha 1

if you watch the tally ho youtube channel and Acorn to Arabella you will see females engaged in the arts of boatbuilding, they are rare, but they are out there, when you consider how few boatbuilders there are left, it should not be surprising you see relatively few.

I think they would be fine looking boats, maybe a tad temperamental at times, a nice big bow and stern will get her noticed. With lots of cushions and soft furnishings, a walk in wardrobe, a spare cabin for shoes and handbags and a wine rack in the galley

Yeah I reckon we could build some nice boats :default_biggrin:

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Guest Jayfire
2 hours ago, Gracie said:

a nice big bow and stern

You've got to hand it to women, they may be a complete pain in general to deal with, hence why us guy's try and bugger off to our boat's for some peace, but they sure do know what we want, and they really are mighty pritty :default_norty:

I do believe Women can Build good Boats with Extra Wardrobe Space as to them  in the future Building Boats and.going  around the Broads but we must not Rock it to much . One other note there seems to be a lot of Women crew started to come on the Broads  so we must mind out P & Q's

• Like 1

Guest Jayfire
5 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

One other note there seems to be a lot of Women crew started to come on the Broads  so we must mind out P & Q's

Whilst us gentlemen try out best mate, some women drink, smack and swear worse than southerners :default_smiley-angelic002:

16 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

I do believe Women can Build good Boats with Extra Wardrobe Space as to them  in the future Building Boats and.going  around the Broads but we must not Rock it to much . One other note there seems to be a lot of Women crew started to come on the Broads  so we must mind out P & Q's

Look out for shoe racks and handbag hangers ..............all fitted and matching of course :default_eusa_dance:

finny

• Love 1

Guest Jayfire
1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

I find myself wondering whether there are many women who would actually WANT to be a boat builder. I suspect not and I further suspect that this may be behind the reason there are so few of them.

I find most women love working with wood Eminem.

Each to their own of course :default_smiley-angelic002:

:default_xmas2:

I dunno about boat building specifically, but in terms of general woodworking I find I learn more from woodworking channels and woodworking blogs created by women. Overall, they seem to lack the 'snobbery' around tools, materials and technique demonstrated by channels and blogs featuring men. As a disabled woodworker I often find that they have found an easier method of producing an object, cutting a joint or hauling heavy lumber. They also do things more safely.

Here are some of my favourite women woodworkers.
First up is April Wilkerson. From huge wooden staircases, to chainsaws she will tackle just about any project. She will not only cover the solution to a problem she encounters but also the mistakes she makes. OK, I have to admit that there is a Charlie Dimmock element to her outfits, but as long as she knows what's she taking about I don't mind the denim shorts at all.

One of my favourite woodworkers is Tamar. She works on smaller projects than April but is another that will show the mistakes she makes and how she corrected them. She has some excellent solutions to making quite complicated jobs quick and simple.

Over in Europe there is Laura Kampf. Woodwork, metalwork, ceramics, leatherwork, you name it, she makes some incredible things and explains the processes involved incredibly well. She's also well in with Adam Savage another favourite 'maker' of mine.

Still in Europe there is Christiana in Portugal and her channel Get Hands Dirty. Musician, sculptor and woodworker she's also a brilliant film maker.

Back on the other side of the pond, although Swedish there is Linn on the Darbin Orvar channel. A very Edwardian vibe to some of the things she makes and the odd bit of campaign furniture she is another brilliant story teller who can explain the building process in terms even I can understand. Working mostly with wood and leather she passes on a lot of skills that have almost vanished.

• Like 2

Whew Timbo to the rescue!

I was about to complain that this thread was just getting too much (from both sides of the pond, if you take my meaning). I love vlogs showing anyone can approach every subject. Loved the recent ‘Narrowboat Experience’ vlogs of how to install solar.

When I started out ‘big’ school I was so looking forward to science classes. Very enthused the first few years, but when I got through to the start of ‘O’ level classes (that shows my age) I struggled, partly because the very few (4-5) girls who had opted for physics and chemistry classes were relegated to the back of the classroom. There’s not much worse than being relegated to the back of the class, even from the start. The teacher that I found less than helpful for chemistry was the ‘best qualified’ teacher in the school, in that he had a Doctorate. Maybe he could communicate to the brightest pupils, but I had a problem understanding him, and he wasn’t really interested if you couldn’t keep up. 

Maybe I should add that I’ve done some Open University courses in various Science subjects since then and have enjoyed and passed them, so I can only conclude that the teaching was to fault.

4 hours ago, Jayfire said:

I find most women love working with wood Eminem.

Each to their own of course :default_smiley-angelic002:

:default_xmas2:

More of a woody fan than a buzz fan then, that must save a fortune in batteries......

Maybe time to shut up............

It's a toy story thing honestly. 

Guest Jayfire
25 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

More of a woody fan than a buzz fan then, that must save a fortune in batteries......

If you offer Woody and play with him right, Buzz gets thrown in the drawer. Unless you know how to encourage Woody and Buzz to play together :default_smiley-angelic002:

aside from all the smutty jokes and inuendo going on, in the world of engineering / machinist working metal aside from the many male channels i have recently found one from Canada - Blondiehacks - who really gets into machining and explains all her techniques - and also includes the mistakes, showing that not everyone does it correctly the first time.

• Like 1

Hi Grendel that's an interesting post on your research  including Canada As to this Topic is very interesting. I was hoping a few Women Members of the NBN Forum would have a go back a bout us men or should I say have a bit of laugh as this Coronavires 19 puts us all in a sad place at this time.

• Like 2