More Sad News

Poppy

Large police presence in Norfolk village after person dies on boat

A host of emergency vehicles has been sent to a Norfolk village after a person died on a boat.

Police were called to Acle Bridge, near the Dunes River Cafe, at 1.01pm today following reports that someone on a boat had died. They arrived on scene eight minutes later.

Insp Gina Hopkinson from Norfolk Constabulary confirmed that there were five police units on site, as well as a crime scene investigator and ambulances.

Two fire crews were also sent from Great Yarmouth and Gorleston, as well as an Environmental Protection Unit from Sprowston.

Insp Hopkinson said that the death did not occur in the water, but on the boat.

A member of the public who passed the scene said she saw emergency services "maxed out" by the bridge.

She said: "The place was full of ambulances, fire engines, police and fast responders.

"The car park had been emptied of customers in the pub by the bridge."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, so when you remove the pictures of ambulances and police cars, this is the article. Once again Archant demonstrates it's incisive, leading edge journalism. It says (and probably knows) nothing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Ok, so when you remove the pictures of ambulances and police cars, this is the article. Once again Archant demonstrates it's incisive, leading edge journalism. It says (and probably knows) nothing.

In fact it demonstrates it doesn't even know where it happened. Unless I'm mistaken the mooring isn't even in the village of Acle, or even in the parish of Acle. It is in the parish of Fleggburgh!

Putting that to one side though my thoughts go out to the deceased and their family, all the more tragic at this time of year.

On my base at St Gilles, with a fleet of 50 boats, we had three, of different classes, with the number 13.  Capri 13, Crusader 13 and Sheba 13.

On the Capri, a retired gentleman, regular customer, died in bed of a heart attack while on holiday with his wife.  On the Crusader, a middle-aged lady collapsed and died of a massive stroke on the galley floor, while making a cup of tea.  The Sheba had its deck and superstructure mould blown off by a gas explosion, a year after I had left.

I don't remember anyone dying on any of the other boats in the fleet and the Sheba accident was the only one that had anything to do with the boat, or the water.  In that case, there was no-one on board, so no-one hurt.

Maybe there is something in the superstition, after all?

All the same, people do die on boats, just as they do in houses.

3 hours ago, Vaughan said:

On my base at St Gilles, with a fleet of 50 boats, we had three, of different classes, with the number 13.  Capri 13, Crusader 13 and Sheba 13.

On the Capri, a retired gentleman, regular customer, died in bed of a heart attack while on holiday with his wife.  On the Crusader, a middle-aged lady collapsed and died of a massive stroke on the galley floor, while making a cup of tea.  The Sheba had its deck and superstructure mould blown off by a gas explosion, a year after I had left.

I don't remember anyone dying on any of the other boats in the fleet and the Sheba accident was the only one that had anything to do with the boat, or the water.  In that case, there was no-one on board, so no-one hurt.

Maybe there is something in the superstition, after all?

All the same, people do die on boats, just as they do in houses.

I remember when I was very young in France with my parents that some Hotels did not have rooms with numbers deemed unlucky.

You story reminds me of the story of HMS Friday. Keel layed on a Friday etc. etc. Named Friday, Maiden Voyage on a Friday. Never seen again. It was supposed to be an anti-supersition exercise.

7 hours ago, Maxwellian said:

Friday could be a myth

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Friday

I got it from Readers Digest years ago, and I mean years, at least 40. I used to buy RD at Stations and Airports as a read you did not have to think about with a very convenient size for travel. It always sounded a bit of an old whatsit's shaggy dog.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, grendel said:

MM i take it you mean new facts revealed rather than guesses or suppositions?

There have been a news report, namely that victim was found dead on his boat, that he hadn't drowned and that the cause of death has not yet been established and there is no sign of foul play.