fuel tank capacity

Guest biggles999

Hi Gang,

I have attached a photo now of my fuel tank its dimensions are 30 " x 23 " x 12 " and a photo of it, Clive is this the original tank and any one any idea as to its holding capacity?

post-1101-136713805894_thumb.jpg

We all start to show our ages when it comes to imperial or metric units don't we...

Biggles999 measures in Inches,

Diesel Falcon gives a formula to work out the capacity in Gallons (US or Imperial I'm not sure which) based on Cubic Inches.

Antares_9 ever practical gives the volume in Litres (which after all is what we have to buy fuel in these days)

Rule 1: Measure in centimeters

Rule 2: Volume in cc = height x width x depth in centimetres

Rule 3: 1 litre = 1000 cc so divide the answer from Rule 2 by 1000..

So 30"x 23" x 12" is approx 75cm x 57cm x 30cm (using the estimation of 30 cm = 12 inches)

= 128,250 so my rule of thumb says it is nearer to 128 litres (but Antares is probably more accurate!)

Simples as Rammy would say. :lol::lol:

Thinking about it Martin, I have not beeen as accurate as I perhaps should have as I failed to take into account that the measurements given were outside dimensions and did not factor in the wall thickness, but as that would have to be an assumption, though ponderable, would not increase the accuracy with any certainty. :naughty::naughty:

Looks original to me, I dont think anyone would have replaced it with a mild steel in the last 10 years...

There is a dipstick in the top of the tank next to the tap (probably illegal), it may have the capacity marked onto it.

Also a word of warning, always use the hatch clip which stops the wind blowing the engine hatch onto your head as what happened to one of our engineers, they are very heavy. :o

So 30"x 23" x 12" is approx 75cm x 57cm x 30cm (using the estimation of 30 cm = 12 inches)

= 128,250 so my rule of thumb says it is nearer to 128 litres (but Antares is probably more accurate!)

Actually, based on 2.54cm/inch the dimensions are 76.2 x 58.42 x 30.48 = 135,684 so Antares estimate of just over 135 litres is spot on.

Thinking about it Martin, I have not beeen as accurate as I perhaps should have as I failed to take into account that the measurements given were outside dimensions and did not factor in the wall thickness, but as that would have to be an assumption, though ponderable, would not increase the accuracy with any certainty. :naughty::naughty:

have we forgot the filler and vent pipe up to filler hight? valuble fuel storage there!