New Boat (just Call Me Admiral)

AndyTBoater

Morning all.

I have just acquired a new toy and was wondering if anyone here can fill in the gaps in its history for me. 

I have the basic stuff from Broads Boat Database and CanalPlan but wondered if anyone here could add to this. The boat has had a few interior changes and I would like it to go back to when it was a hireboat - hence the other post on Blakes memorabilia and badges. Pictures of it are rare and pics interior layout is really hard to find

Denny Walklin has been really helpful but he only has one grainy picture of it. 

Its a Bourne 35 built 1968 at Ernest Collins yard, Wroxham

D424 – Michelle - Private buyer

Stored at Ferry Marina I think but cant find the name of the buyer yet

D424 – Firebronze.

Sold to Denny Walklin at Walklin Cruisers in Loddon

D424 Lovejoy

Sold to private buyer in 1998 and renamed “Lovejoy”

Kept on moorings at Walklins Yard for about 5 years

Possibly bought by Mr and Mrs Smith?

Lovejoy – AO525

Registered with The Environment Agency number AO525 as a Non-Hire Annual Private Motorboat

Last seen on 11th July 2015 on Thames

Lovejoy – 230Y

Returned to Broads in 2015

Owned by Mr and Mrs Poland of Diss

Lovejoy 230Y

Bought by me 2020

Any help or pics or brochure scans would be lovely

Andy

• Like 1

Hope this helps!

1019991569_goldenemblem.thumb.jpeg.1d5198b161bb239bef56783b8d9ef502.jpeg

Scan from Blakes catalogue of 1968, which suggests they were not in their first year on hire at that time.

Iconic cruisers in their day and I think that is probably Mr Latham at the wheel.

Notice that Collins were one of the yards that wore the Red Ensign on their hire boats.  It was all about pride, in those days!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

:facepalm:

JA. Don't worry. I haven't done the sea trial yet. Or paid him all the money. Went over the yard yesterday and the batteries are on charge and a lot of the rear berths were up and it looked like the heater was being installed. 

Will give him until the end of next week and plan for a test trip. You have not been forgotten!!!

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 06/12/2020 at 11:56, Vaughan said:

Notice that Collins were one of the yards that wore the Red Ensign on their hire boats.  It was all about pride, in those days!

I have the Red Ensign my late grandad bought for the boat he one day hoped to own (but sadly never did) and it will absolutely go on my boat when I one day (hopefully) own one! For now the ensign is safety tucked away in a box waiting for that day, along with the one random rhond hook he'd bought at a boat jumble! 

That's a lovely looking boat @AndyTBoater, I do love the old woodies. 

• Like 1

That's a lovely looking boat @AndyTBoater, I do love the old woodies. 

Agreed, it is a lovely looking boat, most Bourne 35's are.  However point of order, the top half is indeed biodegradable but from the deck down it's tupperware.  A lot of addicts suggest that is the best combination

Griff

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

That's a lovely looking boat @AndyTBoater, I do love the old woodies. 

Agreed, it is a lovely looking boat, most Bourne 35's are.  However point of order, the top half is indeed biodegradable but from the deck down it's tupperware.  A lot of addicts suggest that is the best combination

Griff

I had a sneaking suspicion it might have been Griff. I can certainly see the benefit, although I'm looking firmly at fully-Tupperware! Wood looks brilliant, but from what I've seen the cost and time taken to maintain them would be ghastly for me. And the absolute last thing I'd ever want would be to take on one of those beautiful old boats and watch it rot because I don't have the time, money or skillset to properly look after it.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2020 at 11:56, Vaughan said:

Hope this helps!

1019991569_goldenemblem.thumb.jpeg.1d5198b161bb239bef56783b8d9ef502.jpeg

Scan from Blakes catalogue of 1968, which suggests they were not in their first year on hire at that time.

Iconic cruisers in their day and I think that is probably Mr Latham at the wheel.

Hi Vaughan - thanks for the scan

Mine is a little different in that the galley and shower are on opposite side to the picture. As is the dinette and sideboard.

I dont suppose anyone has a Blake catalogue from 72 to 80ish showing "Firebronze" from Walklin Cruisers have they?

Thanks

4 hours ago, AndyTBoater said:

I dont suppose anyone has a Blake catalogue from 72 to 80ish showing "Firebronze" from Walklin Cruisers have they?

According to the Boat Database, "Firebronze" joined the Waklin Cruisers fleet in 1981 and left in 1988 - I've had a scan through the 70s Blakes brochures and can confirm it isn't in any of those, which corroborates the info on the database entry below.

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=3123

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the 1980s Blakes brochures but perhaps someone else can help?

Carol

13 hours ago, AdnamsGirl said:

According to the Boat Database, "Firebronze" joined the Waklin Cruisers fleet in 1981 and left in 1988 - I've had a scan through the 70s Blakes brochures and can confirm it isn't in any of those, which corroborates the info on the database entry below.

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=3123

Unfortunately, I don't have any of the 1980s Blakes brochures but perhaps someone else can help?

Carol

Thanks Carol

I have no idea why I put those dates. I have the database info and also spoke to Denny Walklin who told me the same. 

So can I start again please? 

I dont suppose anyone has a Blakes catalogue from 81 to 88 showing "Firebronze" from Walklin Cruisers have they?

Thanks

Andy