Tv Mounting

MauriceMynah

Now, I know that there are some who disapprove of TV on boats. Take it as read that I am not one of them, nor is this thread here for them to belittle those of us who like their telly on holiday.

No, I need some help here, partly from expert whittlers and partly those who know how boats are put together, GRP boats that is.

Ok, the situation. When it gets dark, I enjoy lying in my bunk watching TV. Snug warm and comfy.

One of the reasons I have been considering making the cabin in the stern section of the boat, between the heads and the stern saloon, was that if I turned the bunk 90 degrees, there was a bulkhead just right for mounting a TV (By mounting I mean installing, and by TV I mean a television, so no rude innuendoes please) . Now, If I use the forward cabin as my main sleeping quarters (an idea that does appeal) I need to install the telly in a position where it is comfortable for me to watch.

If you look at the picture attached, you will see 3 forward windows, between them 4 GRP supports. I am wondering if I can use either of the two port struts to mount the telly mounting bracket. and how to make the "whatever it is" that the mounting bracket can be screwed into. Ideally, it would be the far port corner strut that would be used. (yes, I know you can't actually see the support, but it is there!!)

Needless to say that until I see the boat, my information to you may be misleading or even wildly incorrect. but it's looking into these things that is keeping me something akin to sane!

Corsica 2 (240).JPG

Can you hang it from the headlining instead?

Somewhere up there is a 'core' of either balsa wood or foam sandwiched between two layers of fibreglass. The roof lining supports are fixed to that and then the headlining attached etc. Your TV could then possibly fold flat against the roof when you want the space for other uses.

I am assuming we are not talking about 60+inches of Samsung's finest here?

• Like 1

I have 24" sharp smart TV that runs off 12v, add a usb/sata lead and a SSD and you get a huge recording capacity as well for when there's no signal.

I believe the cello is the same as the ferguson offering, I looked at them but found a few disappointed reviews on them so went for the sharp, I'm happy with it and has good viewing angles that makes mounting options more forgiving.

No help to your mounting issue but thought it may be useful.

Thank you Smoggy. Re viewing angle, I find the viewing angle on the horizontal plane is sufficient on most TVs. Where I do find problems is the angle on the vertical plane. The angle can be quite restrictive. On the Elysian, I had to have the TV aimed down for "lying in bed viewing" but that impaired the viewing when seated. A compromise I'm trying to avoid.

The Cello is not perfect but quite acceptable for the amount we use it. The main thrust of my earlier post was regards mounting: light weight, and crucially universal monitor mounting holes giving access to a wide range monitor brackets including swing out, etc which may be helpful to MM.

I think they all have standard vesa mountings now(although I think there are a couple of sizes), that's where my ssd is attached on mine.

I know what you mean about vertical plane, the older tv I have at home in the bedroom is bad for that, with the boat tv I don't find vertical an issue, it normally sits level on the hatch and we slob out looking up at it and don't have a problem.

Hi Maurice i would use stainless coach bolts this will distribute the strain on the structure better and not delaminate the  lining i fitted one on our first boat only issue was how to tie the tv to the bracket to stop it falling of now i believe they screw into screw holes in the tv's body. John

There are loads of brackets on amazon. My bracket is a caravan one which is multi directional and detachable,its part number is PB138 it's 27 99. You can also get additional base plates which can be fitted to other parts of the boat, these allow different viewing areas at the press of a spring catch. A couch potato's dream.

Paul

The uprights between windows will be no thicker than 10mm - probably much thinner. There will be no real structure to support anything off it.

What is possible is the "glassing" of a mounting pad to such an area. This involves fashioning a bit of wood (ply typically) to the area. chamfering the edges and then fibre glassing the mount in place with some "glue" to the back to hold it to the existing GRP and then putting a number of lamination layers over it to literally "sandwich" it in place. The result (if done properly) will be a solid mounting section. 

I won't pretend this will be easy in the context of a cabin where the finish will be important. In the engine bay, this kind of stuff is commonplace, as it is behind cupboards, lockers, headlining and more. Doing this on a window upright is gonna look like a hernia. Doing it in other places on superstructure walls could be possible, especially if you are prepared to do some "refitting" of the cabin finish. 

Mounting to a roof could bring about other problems. Whereas you would expect a sandwich of balsa as mentioned earlier, boat builders don't always put a great deal of glass on the inside of these sandwiches as it's not always strictly necessary to deliver the strength that the area needs. Therefore, a thin sheath of GRP would offer very little bite to any screw so hanging a TV off it might result in the TV not hanging for long. 

Investigation is necessary.  

It's worth noting that I have not seen a TV on the market without VESA mounting points in a decade. The Cello will have them as will EVERY other TV you can buy in the shops today. 

Many thanks there Andy, very useful info. It looks like "back to the drawing board"

I know it's mad, my thinking up alterations and mods to a boat I haven't even seen yet, but it's the nearest I can get to enjoying my new boat.

I am in no doubt that when I eventually get aboard ant see how things really are, most of my ideas will be consigned to the 'that wont work' bin.

Our current setup finally cracked it.

It is the third setup and works just fine.  I got some aluminium thin flat bars, bent them to shape of the windscreen surround then drilled and fastened them to the back of the tv.  Now we simply hook the aluminium bars over the top of the windscreen then the  canopy fits as normal.  This gives viewing from anywhere in the saloon.  It was somewhat more time consuming getting a surface mounted coax plug in face plate, well to be exact that wasn't so difficult, running the coax from under the mast on the aft coach house roof was more time consuming and a bit awkward but we got there. 

The blue ray player sits on the top next to the tv. Talking of the Blue ray player, it's 12v.  That is to say it comes with a 240v plug and an in line transformer taking it to 12v dc.  So the onboard batteries provide 12v, then the inverter takes the 12v boosts and converts that to 240v for the ring main.  Blue ray transformer then converts it back to 12v, a right palaver but it works just fine

We are happy with our MKIII system and will not be changing it again as this will be as good as it gets.  You are more than welcome onboard to view how it all works.  Robin is not far away so could maybe meet you at the wetshed at a suitable time

Griff

BA NBN 494.JPG

5 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

The blue ray player sits on the top next to the tv. Talking of the Blue ray player, it's 12v.  That is to say it comes with a 240v plug and an in line transformer taking it to 12v dc.  So the onboard batteries provide 12v, then the inverter takes the 12v boosts and converts that to 240v for the ring main.  Blue ray transformer then converts it back to 12v, a right palaver but it works just fine

I think you know what I'm going to ask ( but just in case you don't, I'll ask anyway ) Is it not possible to run the Blu-ray directly off the 12 volt batteries? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I think you know what I'm going to ask ( but just in case you don't, I'll ask anyway ) Is it not possible to run the Blu-ray directly off the 12 volt batteries? 

You can buy 12V chargers for telephones, with a cigar lighter or USB socket, so why not?

It would be ok through a voltage regulator/stabiliser but automotive electrical systems are not 12v, they are typically 11-15v with the odd surge above and the odd dip below depending on wiring layout and demand, on my old boat the tv would cut off when the water pump kicked in, over volts is prone to killing modern tv backlight too.

My tv came with 12v cigar lighter adaptor so I'm assuming it has some voltage stabilising built in, if it's only designed to run on it's own mains adaptor the stabilising will likely be in the adaptor itself.

• Like 1

Smoggy has answered this one perfectly well.  The onboard inverter is of the pure sign wave variety

(Apparently GHD's, Dyson Airwraps and the like won't run off the other type and this is very important to keep my entertainments officer and other girly crew happy)

Which means the Blue Rays transformer can give a steady 12v supply with no fluctuations.

Does seem a bit daft though all the changes of voltage to end up back where one started.  Having said that it performs faultlessly, Robin sourced the tv which can be viewed from all angles too with a really good quality picture / sound. We are happy bunnies nowadays, especially after the MKI and MKII setups

Griff

On the voltage thing MM with all that extra window area a karcher window vac is great on condensation and if you get a cheapy charger off fleabay and cut the end off and graft a usb plug on they charge a treat from a usb adaptor, they just don't like to be inverted on my steep screen as the water goes through the motor, a careful wrist flick stops that.

44 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

On the voltage thing MM with all that extra window area a karcher window vac is great on condensation and if you get a cheapy charger off fleabay and cut the end off and graft a usb plug on they charge a treat from a usb adaptor, they just don't like to be inverted on my steep screen as the water goes through the motor, a careful wrist flick stops that.

The Triton window vac is just as good and cheaper, only downside is the wider blade.