Chandlerys

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place! please move if wrong.

Thing is, I have a big mod to do over Easter and wonder which is your favourite chandlery on the Broads, am based in Brundall but willing to travel (by car).

Normally use Wroxham Marine.

I am scraping a Thetford 400 porta loo (does anyone want one) and fitting a Jabsco electric one with new waste and water tanks.

Paul

Ps any tips more than welcome.

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right place! please move if wrong.

Thing is, I have a big mod to do over Easter and wonder which is your favourite chandlery on the Broads, am based in Brundall but willing to travel (by car).

Normally use Wroxham Marine.

I am scraping a Thetford 400 porta loo (does anyone want one) and fitting a Jabsco electric one with new waste and water tanks.

Paul

Wow, Paul, that's some "mod" to do over Easter! :clap:clap:clap

I think Mark has pretty well covered it, though I always check out the caravan shops before buying from a chandlers!

Gt Yarmouth Caravans isn't far from you and they have a very good shop: http://www.gtyarmouthcaravans.co.uk/

On the holding tank go for the biggest breather pipe you can, 1¼†if you can manage it as this will keep the odours down. Only use high quality sanitation hose, again to keep the odours down. As this is a new install you have the ideal opportunity to start from fresh so don’t put any chemicals or blue in the holding tank, if the breather is set up to allow plenty of oxygen there is no need for the stuff and it just kills off the bacteria that break down the waste without producing odour.

If you are using fresh water for the flush then make sure there is a dedicated tank, or if you must draw from the domestic tank then ensure there is an air break in the supply line to prevent bacteria tracking back.

On the Electrical side:

Make sure you use the right gauge cable for the power supply and use good quality properly crimped terminals; I would suggest you aim for a 5% voltage drop (0.6v @ 12v) to allow the macerator to perform efficiently.

Use the following formula which will give you the circular mil area and then use one of the many internet tables to convert the circular mil to Sq mm or AWG, you could use a chart but the formula is more accurate and can be adjusted to suit the required voltage drop, it assumes direct connection to the battery (fused at battery) as connecting to a distribution box (unless the volt drop at the box is 0 volts) will distort the numbers.

Circular mill = K x I x L / E

Where

K is 10.75 (constant for resistance of copper)

I is current draw in amps

L is the round trip of positive and negative cable in feet

E is maximum Voltage drop required in volts, in this case 0.6

Make sure you put the flush pump and diaphram unit in an easy accessable place, they do from time to time get muck in and the flush wont stop operating, I have a new switch assembly which I bought when I had problems with my last boat but on Investigating and finally finding the unit ( hidden behind two bulkhead panels) all it took was very carefull disassembly on a table with a white covering, inc taking photos all the way, removing two tiny white plastic balls from the diaphram surface and hey presto all working, but Jabisco who had diagnosed it needed the switch refused to refund £ 70 so it sits in my spares box uneeded :Stinky