Berney Arms Update

SwanR

Chanced upon this video. Interesting watch about the station at Berney Arms. But also news towards the end (around 9 mins 40 secs) of it opening as a bistro next year as the vlogger chanced upon the people intending to run this. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Geoff Marshall is great - I love his videos. This was particularly great as we were there only a month ago. The ITV crew saw a lot more wildlife than we did though! Glad to hear someone is going to give it a go at opening something there. Good luck to them!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

I have heard a suggestion that the pub will be reopening next year but absolutely no detail as to who is behind it. 

I watched the original Broadland District Council Licencing Committee Meeting. The licence is for one of the outbuildings not the Pub itself 

Still on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYHn1boH34A   You can jump along if you don't have time to see the whole thing.

This failed due to a number of issues including opening hours which were revised on the hoof as the meeting progressed and certainly not from the BA Comments alone but on re-application was granted without need to go back to committee. (very few do go to a formal hearing )  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bytheriver said:

I watched the original Broadland District Council Licencing Committee Meeting. The licence is for one of the outbuildings not the Pub itself 

I have a sneaking suspicion that a certain Mr H is linked to a possible re-opening. It would certainly add to the confusion if he is. Perhaps confusion is the name of the game!

• Like 1

Well ... I was hoping for some positivity about the possibility of life being breathed back into the place next year in some form or other. Surely it is a good thing when anyone is talking about new business in the current climate.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Well ... I was hoping for some positivity about the possibility of life being breathed back into the place next year in some form or other. Surely it is a good thing when anyone is talking about new business in the current climate.

Couldn't agree more Jean. Taking careful note of MW's comment above, the caution arises from the owners past activities. 

34 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

the caution arises from the owners past activities

See I think that's the problem. I have no idea about this. And I doubt most people who casually read this forum looking for interesting topics and conversation have any more idea than I do. Yes we have passionate members and very knowledgable members, but I am taking this one on face value and hurray ... be nice if there is a reason to go the Berney Arms next year. And really this started out as a nice video about the area ....

• Like 5

Personally I think it's a great place to moor. Gorgeous views over Breydon and to watch the boats coming and going, I loved that when I was a little girl

I hope the pub does re-open, it was always a favourite, goodness me we need pubs to open and stay open 

2 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

The night life is especially noisy during the summer, especially just before dawn.

The old 'meadow ladies' really know how to moo!

I loved the sound of the meadow ladies too, just added to the feeling of being in the middle of nowhere x

:default_xmas6:

• Like 4

Not only is it a great place to moor for the 360 degree views, clean air and peace of the evening (after the last boat has passed) and the call of Oyster Catchers on the opposite bank, but it has probably the strongest cellphone signal on the Broads if such things are important to you.

• Like 3

Guest Jayfire
1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

I try to moor as far away from cattle as I can. 

You want to be careful, I've herd lots of cows use camooflage around boats. It's udderly ridicmoolous