Berney Arms Update

SwanR

The map below will give you some idea of the issues. The Blue lines are where Google streetview cars have travelled. They show the limit of the general public access. The short section of Blue line off The Acle straight ends at a level crossing. The other side of this is a farm yard which is gated and you need to drive right through the farm yard and out the other side to get to another of the tracks out to The Berney.

Access.thumb.jpg.3ee8b9859fb8e31d361d255d67a9bfdf.jpg

The pictures below shows the start of the track from the end of the Blue line on the left in the picture above. Note it is not tarmac, single track and with drainage ditches both sides and no lighting. In the foreground you can see the Red sign saying it is a private road and in the background in the distance is The Berney Arms Mill. The track actually zig zags way out to the left before finally reaching the edge of Breydon Water near another level crossing and a pumping station. You then run along the edge of Breydon Water back along a track to The Berney Arms.

Track.thumb.jpg.671a939b70ca4df348eb04b55f2da607.jpg

• Thanks 3

Below is the route of the 9 mile circular walk I did back in August 2019. From Halvergate going clockwise is the route of one of the tracks to The Berney if you have the right permissions. For the return from The Berney Arms I followed The Weavers Way and this is only a footpath through fields often containing cattle and with drainage ditches criss crossing all over the place. The track from Halvergate to the Berney is about 5 miles long. The second map below shows the sheer number of drainage ditches in the area. It is not an area to be in on foot in the dark.Walk.thumb.jpg.6615dbc2088a0a0ab6d0157ca19ef637.jpgDrains.thumb.jpg.cb5dbf1b159585076e37ef81d221b1e1.jpg

• Thanks 3

I think the primary access used to be from the north side - the brewery lorries clearly made it!  I believe it was across the level crossing.  Are the cottages not occupied at all now - its not that long ago that people were driving the access!

That however is not for poncy people - something fishy goin' on!!!!!

The footpath and the track to the right towards Berney along the edge of Breydon.20190824_135919.thumb.jpg.53f1142d2b4eb21e616a17cc05ba419d.jpg

The auction notice for the land and moorings downstream of the Berney, not sure if that actually sold or not.

20190824_140103.thumb.jpg.c5f04f8045e94a285e6182fd1ff08b23.jpg

The track between the mill and the railway station.

20190824_141534.thumb.jpg.cb6bac94d387e546f76208c4b2400fa1.jpg

Even more deserted than normal, there had been no trains for months.

20190824_142339.thumb.jpg.643a6dba7c61ca7bc04b429ff29ee853.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, marshman said:

I think the primary access used to be from the north side - the brewery lorries clearly made it!  I believe it was across the level crossing.  Are the cottages not occupied at all now - its not that long ago that people were driving the access!

That however is not for poncy people - something fishy goin' on!!!!!

I think the route your describing is through Britannia Farm which is basically through their farm yard. Again it's all about the permissions.

I once arranged to meet a friend who drove out to The Berney Arms and stayed on the boat for the night. I asked John if it would be ok for them to drive out to The Berney, and his reply was that he couldn't give my friend permission to use the track, but at the same time he couldn't stop him trying. He said if he made it to The Berney he was more than welcome to park next to his Transit. He made it but wasn't impressed by the hassle of all the gates and the bumpy ride, although a good night was spent in the pub.

Edited to add that John used to collect all his beer from Humpty Dumpty and food and other bits and pieces from the wholesaler hence having a transit. There is also no rubbish collection so it has to be burnt or carted to the tip. I believe post has to be collected as well.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

That was always my understanding. I wouldn't be suprised if, going back many years, beer could have even been delivered via the river. 

There used to be a small swing arm near the quayside directly outside the pub which I assumed was for lifting barrels or similar from boats.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Meantime said:

Part of the repair work done to the track by the EA or Network Rail, not sure which.

20190824_131849.thumb.jpg.a9fa8aac2160ca680d2e3399ad65896d.jpg

The level crossing near Breydon Water. The trains hadn't been running for months as you can tell by the rusty rails.20190824_132327.thumb.jpg.9e18ed95add7bfe81897fb788aa9b750.jpg

The Edge of Breydon.

20190824_135340.jpg

Looks like the Network Rail  had to do some safety work before the trains returned They have done a number of areas around Reedham since then as well

• Like 1

I bought my boat in November 2018 in Brundall and needed to get her back to the permanent mooring in Horning. However time slots to cross Breydon Water, arriving at slack water Yarmouth plus allowing at least an hour and a half the other side to moor somewhere, all in daylight, leaves few available dates at that time of year.

Not having been to the south broads for many years, our plan was to take the tide downstream from Brundall and moor at the Berney Arms overnight and get a good meal and a couple of beers there, ready to leave at first light (about 8:00am) the next morning. After mooring up, we walked over to the pub but there seemed no sign of life, but to double check, tried the front door on the river side, which was open. Looking inside there was no sign of life but all looked tidy and serviceable except the bar shelves were empty. I called out to see if anyone was there, then called up the stairs but no reply. Very strange.

Plan B. We phoned the Firshermans Inn at Burgh Castle to see if they were open and they advised they had just reopened after refurbishment, so motored over there. We moored right outside, had a great evening, with  log fire, good food and beer plus a warm welcome.

Set off a first light the next day and didn't see another boat until we got to Yarmouth. 

Very strange why the Berney Arms was unlocked with no one there!

30 minutes ago, PaulN said:

After mooring up, we walked over to the pub but there seemed no sign of life, but to double check, tried the front door on the river side, which was open. Looking inside there was no sign of life but all looked tidy and serviceable except the bar shelves were empty.

Very strange why the Berney Arms was unlocked with no one there!

Opportunist burglar is a risk anywhere but if there’s nothing to take why secure? Mindless vandalism on the other hand could also happen anywhere but is unlikely in this location. Same with boats really, the cost of damage through forced entry is almost always more than the contents they might steal. 

3 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

In the twenty odd years we have been on the Broads I have never had the inclination to visit this location it is too remote, the tides are an issue and there were always more inviting places to stop at. The place is not viable for any purpose.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I could not disagree with this post more. 

I've had some really good nights and very good memories of The Berney Arms from when Chris Shepherd was landlord and whilst John and Tracy were there. For a while it became a "local" for us away from home. 

The regulars were a good crowd and many a good night was spent in their company. John and Tracy even used to arrange an end of season beano for the regulars.

Back in Chris's day he used to keep two menu's one for the visitors and one for the regulars. He used to collect Bullaces over the course of the year and brew various brew's in demi johns over the Winter. Off course he couldn't sell it, but at the end of the evening as a regular he would come round with a demi john and pour you something to try. 

The good ole days of The Berney were something not to miss, from the ambience to the crowd who used to get in there. 

I remember one foul night we even went out and rescued a hire boat off the mud on Breydon. The family were so grateful. 

I remember many a time mooring up at The Berney to see Chris outside the pub just taking it all in. He absolutely loved the place and would have done anything to stay there. He loved the remoteness and lived for it. The memorial bench outside on the quayside was paid for out of the contributions from the regulars after he passed on. That was arranged by John and Tracy who were good friends of Chris and helped him in his final season and then took over from him. 

They would probably still be there today if it wasn't for a greedy ignorant arrogant landlord. They had the same empathy for the place as Chris had. They didn't want to make a fortune, they just wanted to make enough to stay there.

The place is still be viable for anyone with a similar motive and love of the area.

As for the tides, tie your ropes properly and be prepared to step off your boat, or back onto the cabin roof and its not a problem. Many a time I've moored there single handed, the tide is your friend if you know how to use it well.

A lifejacket is a must though and I will say that no matter how proficient we appeared to be, Tracy would always see us back to our boat when we left the pub in the small hours.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We, that is the Lads week that my late Dad organised had some truly memorable times in that pub. 

We have also had a few guddens during ‘my’ era too

I miss the place being open and would definitely support it if it ever opened again. 

I can’t ever remember the tidal flow or range ever being an issue that put us off visiting

Griff

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

That was always my understanding. I wouldn't be suprised if, going back many years, beer could have even been delivered via the river. 

I remember, as a kid in the late '60s, the local TV news always reporting the first delivery of beer for the season coming by boat. Pretty certain it was Greene King in those days.

• Like 2