Berney Arms Update

SwanR

If they are planning 4 townhouses they must have private vehicular access. Around here newbuilds have to have off street parking for at least 2 cars although out there may be a special case. That said, "townhouse" suggests a house for someone who works in town, therefore two vehicles per house may be reasonable. Retirement homes would be different.

And don't we need to get a lorry down there to empty the cesspit?

Of course should planning permission be granted, the value would probably increase considerably or at least make it more desirable, before any other work is done. I suspect that may be the intention, hence the publicity.

It doesn't look viable.

• Like 1

I would think a septic tank or bio unit would be the best bet in that location, plenty of ditches to discharge into or room for a reed bed. A cess pit would be a pain to empty given the frequency for a pub. If it is a cess pit then given the access issue tankering would cost a fortune. Did the local farmer used to trailer it away in his honey cart I wonder, I can’t imagine human waste being spread on grazing land though. Perhaps a biomass boiler burning composting toilet and food waste downwind might be the future!

• Like 1

Dew they'll just hatta dew loik wot we allus dew with our doo doos, out along the river bank.

Oi say ter ol' Wussername oi say, woss all this hare about dewing with their do-ins at the Berney Arms?  All these forriners in their noice noo town houses, they'll just hatta larn not ter pull the chairne until the tide is running out onter Breydon. Them grit ol' catfish, they don't dew so badly on it, dew the now?  Old boy Jack, the river inspector, he never say nuthin  dew he?  Oi 'spose he just hatta hold it, till he git hoom of a night.

Old wossnairme he say, thass just another load of old squit, int it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm pretty sure the berney had a sceptic tank, I remember Tracy clearing up after their dog via the pub bog and having to explain to a slightly horrified customer that her sceptic tank don't discriminate between species.... Larf I did!

Wos all this 'ol tosh them locals are trying to say? Normal for norfolk I hear, there's nowt bloody normal about norfolk! (or suffolk in case anyone feels left out)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, annv said:

There was/is lorry access as the dray lorry used to deliver to the pub until it stopped as they said it was to difficult. John

I well remember a time when direct deliveries were stopped for whatever reason. Those nice people at Johnson's boatyard at St Olaves took to making deliveries with their workboat. Mind you that was fifty or more years ago but it does illustrate that the access question is nothing new. 

• Like 3

If someone were to buy the Berney, the Beauchamp and reinstate the Stracey, start a brewery on the Berneys land and deliver the beer to the other pubs by wherry, a very pleasant lifestyle could be acheived for quite a few as well as creating a tourist attraction, generating more cash! 

• Like 5

So you would have The Berney Arms, never really liked the name Beauchamp, so let's call that The Maurice Arms and then re-instate The Stracy as The Three Feathers as a nod to the heritage. Marshman can borrow a Wherry to do the deliveries and Peter can supply a Jenny Morgan for the mast. Paul can be the brewmaster. All we need now is a gofundme page and were off.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Meantime said:

It has access, it has it's own moorings and permitted access to use the track to The Berney Arms station. However it is not on a public road and therefore there is no public road access. 

Sewage always used to be a cesspit. No mains water, only a well which is not drinking quality. No rubbish collection and I'm pretty sure no mail delivery. I think you might struggle with Uber eats or amazon deliveries out there. You will however not get a discount from your council tax for having to dispose of your own rubbish!

Standard Council practice is that Domestic Waste & Recycling  has to be taken to the Public Highway Trade Waste likely the same. Big surcharge for opening & closing two sets of Level Crossing Gates 

That information will of course be provided  in the relevant box on the Planning Application Form

• Like 1

I note that Olive Court Properties, the company making the application, is owned by Mr Hollocks, living in America. That  gives me no great confidence that this project will make any progress but there we go! I assume that his son is acting on his behalf in the UK which reduces my confidence even further. It does seem to me that Olive Court Properties is working in reality bypass mode. I only hope, both for that company's sake, and that of the Broads, that he is seeking sound advice both from a reliable architect and an able solicitor. At the moment he does appear to be going round in never decreasing circles and the Broads community continues to lose out, as do the people that could be working and living there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

I note that Olive Court Properties, the company making the application, is owned by Mr Hollocks, living in America.

That should read preparing the application. No application has been made yet, at least it doesn't appear on the BA planning portal. I seriously doubt there ever will be an application.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Meantime said:

I seriously doubt there ever will be an application.

Not even yet another futile one? I suppose that he will argue that since there is now a bistro on site that the pub building is redundant as such. I would argue that since there is a bistro there that that indicates that there is trade to be had on that site thus the pub should be retained as such. Seemingly he is adept at clutching at straws.

• Like 2