Favourite Mudweighting Spot

Broads01

2 minutes ago, SwanR said:

It was great fun dropping the mudweight on Malthouse Broad one day, watching everyone else fighting for the spaces on the staithe at lunchtime.

Done that too Jean, get wine and food on board and watch the antics, great fun :default_biggrin: Then nip over when they start leaving, just right for an evening pub visit 

:default_xmas6:

• Like 1

Black Horse for its peace and tranquility, when it is open and Ranworth, tucked into the little bay across the broad from the Staithe. I love to sit and watch the antics at the Staithe by day and be away from the noise and running engines at night. 

• Like 4

I haven't mudweighted nearly as often as I'd like to, but that's likely to change. In the past I've usually wanted to moor near a pub, but as the years have progressed I've tended to stay away from pubs in the evenings. I have been more comfortable with that system so I suspect that for me, more mid broad mooring will happen.

I also suspect that I'll be doing this when the days are at their longest, as I prefer to curl up and watch TV in the longer nights or inclement weather. This is not good mid broad. My aerial tends to be rather directional. I find omnidirectional aerials  rarely do the job on the broads.

When I have mudweighted, it has normally been South Walsham or Salhousebut maybe I should try Barton in regatta week, see them all flapping about like demented moths. Should be good for a laugh!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Gracie said:

I remember a night when it was so calm and silent (apart from wildlife)

This was a day in May 2017 when we had started that morning in Surlingham and were due back to Richardsons the next morning.  Couldn't find a space at St Benets, Ludham or How Hill but were happy to stay on Barton.  It had been a lousy day for weather but we moored on the windward side of the Broad in the lee of the trees and the evening turned out to be lovely!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The southern end of Barton Broad. If you have come from Stalham and for some unaccountable reason have headed to the left hand channel keeping the island to your right, then turned to starboard to heat towards Gays staithe and Neatishead, you pass Turkey broad (shallow water) on your port side just after passing the Ant. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where's that?

Southern end of Barton Broad

As you come out of the Ant upstream from Irstead, keep to port and go through the buoys where it says it's shallow (It isn't) proper peaceful as no one (Well, nearly no one) goes there.  Mudweights down fore and aft for fishing and tv reception - Wx permitting.  Bliss

Griff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BroadAmbition said:

Where's that?

Southern end of Barton Broad

As you come out of the Ant upstream from Irstead, keep to port and go through the buoys where it says it's shallow (It isn't) proper peaceful as no one (Well, nearly no one) goes there.  Mudweights down fore and aft for fishing and tv reception - Wx permitting.  Bliss

Griff

Brilliant tip, thank you.

Its getting more difficult to get in as there are more notices and they have also been stringing the buoys together  - unless you know exactly where you are going my tip these days would not to go too far in!

That area is where I ran one of the Hunter Rebels hard aground! I was with my son and it was nice and breezy and we had gone into Turkey Broad, zooming past all the notices saying Shallow Water with me proclaiming they didn't apply to us. Carried on for quite a way and suddenly brought up all standing pretty sharpish - only one way off. Someone had to go over the side and it wasn't going to be me!! Decent shove and off we went but with the addition of his underpants tied to the gaff to dry! 

Had to do that at Hickling too before they dredged the channel to the Pleasure Boat a few years back - a few old dears in a dayboat got pretty excited with lots of cheering!!!

• Haha 1