The Life And Times Of My Third Boat Called Nyx

MauriceMynah

Well Other people have threads dedicated to their projects so I thought I'd start one for new Nyx. 

My first project thoughts are for the stern saloon. so here we go!

Some of the pictures I have are of Corsica 1 (From the Hoseason's brochure) others are from my Corsica 2 (New Nyx) so if you notice inconsistencies, put it down to that.

First the layout of the area I'm talking about. 

image.png.8ea30d46bfbdf4328a2f57a940205189.png

The bulkhead I’m referring to is the one separating the Double dinette and the cabin with the two single berths.

Here it is from the saloon side.

image.png.cd112db034f0cd7c0e33b51884d8c57d.png

Right. The door on that bulkhead will go. I then cut that bulkhead from about 3” above where the door handle is, to the corresponding height just under the starboard window. The view in this pic is looking forward. This has to be done very carefully as I’ll be using that top half of the bulkhead in this project.

Meanwhile, in the cabin with the two single berths. They get turned 90 degrees and become a double or wide single (I’m guessing 4’) running for to aft.

An assumption of mine is that those singles were 2’ wide, and that the space between them was also 2’ making that cabin 6’ x 6’ below the level of the deck.

This next picture shows the bulkhead from the cabin, and a length of wooden wall between the cabin and the galley. The black cutting line is as close I can get it using a mouse!

image.png.a9a38ff8dedfd5a9d805069e2b423613.png

That wooden wall gets cut to half the width of the bunk (removing the light) then up to the ceiling. Remove that piece too but again carefully, I may need it later. Now comes my new piece of high quality ply. Don’t forget, that bunk where I will be working, is no longer there.

Screw & glue a 1” by 1” strip of hard wood (I’m hoping to get hold of some beech for this)along and level with the cut, from the opening window, round the bulkhead and the width of the existing bunk on to the “galley wall”.

Put at this height I estimate the shelf being about 5’ by 2’ sitting on top of the new ‘beading’ (denoted by the yellow lines). I am assuming the bunk to be 2’ wide.

By amazing coincidence, the opening window seems to start at that point. So, taking the piece of bulkhead we saved earlier, it shouls be very close to a fit. Yes the window is a different height, the plywood shelf takes 18mm off the bottom, but the roof profile will be close enough to be a fit. That reinstates the bulkhead, the top half being 2’ back from the bottom.

You may remember that the Galley/cabin wall was only cut back half the bunk width. The remaining half forms one of the sides of the drinks cabinet. What makes the other side is as yet not decided.

image.png.e932bdd91af6bdec215a22d5fae3c40c.png

Here endeth the description of probable project 1.

Your opinions are requested!

I hope the door has room, measurements will be taken when I'm on site. The bulkhead  will still be there stepped. Not quite as strong but shouldn't be significantly weaker as far as compression vertically is concerned. Lateral compression should not be much effected, and could even be improved. The shelf/shelves within the booze cabinet area could well act as strengtheners to achieve that.  

Right, putting to one side for the moment the minor issues involved in removing/modifying bulkheads In have another poser for you to put your minds to.

Given that one really has to condense ones ownership to essentials only, What is the minimum number of decanters one should find on a civilized craft. I have got it down to eight. 5 round base, and 3 square.

White wine should never be decanted, and red should always be poured from a round based decanter. Port and Sherry too should be poured from a round decanter. Whisk(e)y from a square base as should be Gin. Rum seems to be optional, round or square, the same can be said of Brandy.

White rum is merely the figment of a drug crazed imagination, so we need not worry about that. Similarly Vodka is Russian and I'm not entirely certain Russians know what a decanter is. They do well to use glasses. 

So, we have Red wine, round, Rum, round Port, round, Sherry, round, and Brandy, round.

Whisk(e)y, square, Gin. Square and Gin, optional.

I already possess 5 round based decanters, 4 matching Waterford's and one Edinburgh Crystal, but as yet I'm to acquire the 3 square based ones.   

I am, as ever, in the hands of our members here to guide me on this important subject.

Hi Peter (JM) Yes I am aware of the structural importance of bulkheads, and I shall be taking advice before I hack into any of them, Also I shall be asking the boatbuilders here what they think.

Even as I type this, I'm having ideas for modifications to the plan as written above. Turnoar is close, except I'm thinking carved oak rather than SS supports.

I do have a question about moorings. I shall be moored at Richardson's Stalham. (they managed to squeeze me in) but I get the feeling they're not too keen on much DIY on site there. Fair enough!  So, I am looking for spots I can moor for a week or so with a workmate (other vices are available) (( you can read that any number of ways)) where I can play DIYers.

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

A word of caution, bulkheads (walls) might be what holds the roof up and the sides apart, an integral part of the overall construction. 

Ahem, as I said last Thursday you mean but nobody picked up on it. :default_coat:

My kitchen/ diner had the top half of a bulkhead removed so we put in a stainless support pole but what with Covid I have yet to find a pole dancer! :default_biggrin:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Ahem, as I said last Thursday you mean but nobody picked up on it.

Indeed you did, I thought my arrangement would not weaken the structure, however, my plan has changed slightly, and I think the new plan may well be stronger that that which is there now!. 

11 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I thought my arrangement would not weaken the structure, however, my plan has changed slightly, and I think the new plan may well be stronger that that which is there now!. 

Ok I`m no boatbuilder but fail to see how you can cut half of a bulkhead away and replace it whilst making it stronger and keep it looking nice.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JanetAnne said:

With all that lead crystal brimmed to capacity I think my attention would be turning to acquiring room opposite for appropriate ballasting. Can't have our shelf out of true now can we?

Possibly Lead fenders would suffice. :default_gbxhmm:

4 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

Hi Peter (JM) Yes I am aware of the structural importance of bulkheads, and I shall be taking advice before I hack into any of them, Also I shall be asking the boatbuilders here what they think.

Wise man! 

There was a cruiser pulled on Lake Lothing a year or two back that had been 'open planned' whilst she was afloat to such an extent that when she was lifted the engine's shaft couplings went way out of true!  

17 minutes ago, grendel said:

or just cut an opening in the existing bulkhead where a box like shelf could be inserted, thus retaining the original support of the bulkhead.

That's far closer to my current plan. I am wondering if a 2" x 2" oak support might suffice or be better on the port end. These I can get easily depending on the length.

• Like 1

Ahh yes, the "Ships decanter" now there's a piece of nautical history, which should remain there... in history... out in the ocean. preferably as a close neighbour of the Titanic.

Hateful things. usually unattractive, difficult to pour from and impossible to keep clean if any sediment settles in it. As a dealer I've spent many unhappy hours trying to clean them to acceptable levels.

No, sorry, but my Waterfords  will just have to take their chances when it comes to speeding boat's wash.

27 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

To save space the decanters you need are called drinking straws, just poke on in the top of the bottle, job done!

A totally unacceptable solution to a top level snob !!! 

When nobody's looking ... why bother with straws when I can just "neck it". No, things have to appear to be top drawer at all times . Silver dip accidently left out, you know the sort of thing. It's one of the reasons I won't have a bicycle on the roof!

• Like 1