The Life And Times Of My Third Boat Called Nyx

MauriceMynah

• 5 months later...
14 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

Well Corsica 2's name change proceedure has started. While the weather was hot the last two days, I managed to peel off some of the old name. 

She is (for now) called "orsi a" 

I just wanted to see her C going. 

Where have you been? I have missed your repartée! The rumour on the rond is you ran off with Peter ( J.M. )

• Haha 1

Well I suppose this thread is as good as any for me to use as a log for new Nyx hence forth just referred to as " Nyx"  The other Nyx will hence forth be referred to as either old Nyx, or little Nyx.

The move to Nyx reached a milepost when "Idiot Bear" came aboard. Those who don't know "Idiot Bear"  need to speak to Mike's Pat.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Advice sought.

I wish to acquire a box of each of the following in stainless steel and self tapping...

1 1/2 inch 8s.. 1 1/4 inch 8s and the same in 10s (or whatever the metric is)

Any suggestions as to where I might be able to get these?

Make sure you ask for the right screws, countersunk fully threaded are self tappers with a plain shank they are wood screws. Don’t ask how I know this :default_biggrin:  Most are metric so 8’s are 5mm and 10’s 6mm. They are very helpful if you ask the right questions, I believe the counter is only open mornings but last time I used them I ordered on the phone and were ready to collect when I arrived. 

1 hour ago, MauriceMynah said:

Oh dear, that means I cant start this job till after the weekend then. Shame!

There's always the prep work to be done,

Visit Roys or Lathams and select a range of fine bottled ales.

Take said items and place them in a cool part of the boat to be chilling.

Select one of the said chilled items and carefully open.

Review the plans of the work you wish to achieve once the shop is open and you can purchase the screws.

Open a second bottle of chilled ale and double check your plans and make any alterations.

Repeat until you think you have honed your plans to perfection.

:default_beerchug:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update on "Old Nyx", She is sold. The new owner spent anentire weekend cleaning her despite my warnings that taking th patina off might reduce her value.

Some of you will hav met her new owner, he is a friend of mine who has been using th boat when I wasn't. Bernie, his wife Lorraine, a parrot called George and dog called Susie  all seem very happr with her. She is to be rnamed "Brinard" the name his last boat had. 

We are in convoy at the moment, moored up to Wroxham Island. 

Onwards and upwards eh!

• Like 13

Must have been a long old job, unless it was a reflection of the willow leaves above she still looked in keeping with her surrounds when I was there Sunday morning lol

Pleased you punted her on though, there’s a lot more surface area on new Nyx but green does blend with blue a bit less conspicuously I expect.

Sounds like you’re having fun anyway.

On 15/07/2021 at 15:38, MauriceMynah said:

Quick update on "Old Nyx", She is sold. The new owner spent anentire weekend cleaning her despite my warnings that taking th patina off might reduce her value.

I noticed last week that she was sailing about an inch higher in the water than normal. Wasn't sure if it was the patina being cleaned off, or the bonded locker being emptied, or perhaps it was a combination of both! :default_norty::default_beerchug:

• Haha 5