Mooring In Norwich

TFrench89

Hi TF89, depending on boat airdraft, Thorpe river green and The Town House PH (new quay heading) would be good options. If too big to get under the bridges then commissioners cut would be good. All have bus stops nearby and only a 10 min ride into the centre.

Hope that helps.

Colin :default_beerchug:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Islander said:

Hi TF89, depending on boat airdraft, Thorpe river green and The Town House PH (new quay heading) would be good options. If too big to get under the bridges then commissioners cut would be good. All have bus stops nearby and only a 10 min ride into the centre.

Hope that helps.

That's brilliant, thanks. The air draft is 7ft 9 so Thorpe isn't an option lol

7 minutes ago, annv said:

There are PROVIDING you are not a hire boat just go past the yacht station (not hire craft) and through bridge an d chose your spot subject to availability , plus Thorpe just before Norwich. John

Thanks for your reply, I'll be in a hire boat so that wouldn't be an option. Cheers anyway

Thorpe could mean you get stuck between the bridges but is doable. Our boat, Lady Linda is 8ft with everything folded and we came in last week with 3 inches to spare :default_biggrin:. You do need to get the tides right though. Less than an hour later and we wouldn’t have got under.

Commissioners cut is your best option. Walk toward and cross over the pedestrian rail bridge, a short walk to crossroad. Turn left and bus stop a few yards toward town. Busses every 10 to 15 mins most of the day.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Islander said:

Thorpe could mean you get stuck between the bridges but is doable. Our boat, Lady Linda is 8ft with everything folded and we came in last week with 3 inches to spare :default_biggrin:. You do need to get the tides right though. Less than an hour later and we wouldn’t have got under.

Commissioners cut is your best option. Walk toward and cross over the pedestrian rail bridge, a short walk to crossroad. Turn left and bus stop a few yards toward town. Busses every 10 to 15 mins most of the day.

Colin 

Thanks! The furthest South we've been is Cantley so we really want to go to Norwich. Cheers for all your help 🍻

• Like 1

I'd agree, Commissioners Cut is a good bet and buses are frequent during the day although they do stop in the early evening. Not sure if you are looking to stay overnight or for a day visit? Another option would be to get a train from Brundall or Cantley but you would of course miss out on that stretch of river. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Broads01 said:

The Yacht Station may be closed but is there anything to stop you mooring there?

Well technically, no. We’ve done it several times as we have at Yarmouth. Just for a short stop though. They shut the gates at Norwich although it’s easy to bunk under the fence onto the footpath. There is also a stretch before you get to Bishops Bridge which is beyond the gate. Problem is that if anything went wrong you could get in bother with the hire yard. I wouldn’t moor overnight in winter. 

We’ve also moored at GY and bunked over the fence. I think the reason the BA declare them closed is basically to cover themselves, there’s nobody to actually stop you. 

Having said all of this my example in not necessarily one to follow! :default_norty:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We’ve moored for a few hours during the day at Norwich in the winter months when the Yacht Station Is closed. The electric posts were boxed in. I climbed over the railings and went to the Morrison’s that’s just beyond the Riverside complex. I wouldn’t fancy staying there overnight there when the Yacht Station is closed though.
We recommend the Commissioner’s Cut for an overnight mooring.

• Like 2

Technically yes, agree with Helen, overnight would not be a good idea, if you wanted to pop to the shops it shouldn't be a problem although even better if you left someone on board. Commissioners Cut is the safest bet, you could always cruise up to the Yacht Station to take a look, it is interesting particularly if you havn't been up there before. 

26 minutes ago, TFrench89 said:

The boatyard would not be happy

This is a conundrum.  The boatyard insure the boat, but not the hirer.  The hirer has to have personal accident insurance, as well as for personal property.

But if the boat was damaged on the moorings, would you be liable?  Conditions of hire state that the yard is not responsible for restrictions to the navigation and hirers are obliged to navigate within any temporary restrictions (such as flooding) which may be in force.  But does that include mooring at a yacht station, which is un-manned in winter?

Personally, I would not think so, unless the yard has made a specific written condition that you may not moor there when it is un-manned.  I assume Norwich CC would deny responsibility as it is un-supervised but does that still mean you may not moor there, at your own risk?

If we have any members with knowledge of marine insurance, it may be worth discussing!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorfolkNog said:

Technically yes, agree with Helen, overnight would not be a good idea, if you wanted to pop to the shops it shouldn't be a problem although even better if you left someone on board. Commissioners Cut is the safest bet, you could always cruise up to the Yacht Station to take a look, it is interesting particularly if you havn't been up there before. 

I was watching the captain's vlogs yesterday on YouTube. The river through Norwich looks lovely. We'll most likely moor at Commissioners cut and get the bus in. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

This is a conundrum.  The boatyard insure the boat, but not the hirer.  The hirer has to have personal accident insurance, as well as for personal property.

But if the boat was damaged on the moorings, would you be liable?  Conditions of hire state that the yard is not responsible for restrictions to the navigation and hirers are obliged to navigate within any temporary restrictions (such as flooding) which may be in force.  But does that include mooring at a yacht station, which is un-manned in winter?

Personally, I would not think so, unless the yard has made a specific written condition that you may not moor there when it is un-manned.  I assume Norwich CC would deny responsibility as it is un-supervised but does that still mean you may not moor there, at your own risk?

If we have any members with knowledge of marine insurance, it may be worth discussing!

Surely the risk of it being damaged on the moorings would be the same as if you moored at somewhere like Cantley near the pub. The vast majority of moorings are unmanned to my knowledge

• Like 1

There is another thought here.  Boatyard insurance will have a "laid up" period, usually from the end of October to the 1st March.  So if a yard is operating "out of season" I assume they have suitable insurance, which takes into account that normal service will not be available in the cruising area.  It is also up to the boatyard how they want to insure their boat.  You will have paid the damage waiver!

I suppose the best answer, as always, is to ask the boatyard!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

There is another thought here.  Boatyard insurance will have a "laid up" period, usually from the end of October to the 1st March.  So if a yard is operating "out of season" I assume they have suitable insurance, which takes into account that normal service will not be available in the cruising area.  It is also up to the boatyard how they want to insure their boat.  You will have paid the damage waiver!

I suppose the best answer, as always, is to ask the boatyard!

I believe the yacht stations open on 1st April. Most hire yards start operating in March

It is certainly food for thought.  What is the risk, exactly?

It is a maintained, purpose built mooring.

If the boat is hit on the mooring by another boat, that is a third party claim against the other boat, for which you are not liable, even if you have opted to pay a security deposit.

If the boat is vandalised, by kids throwing stones through the windows, that is criminal damage.  Give a statement to the police, to record for the insurers that you have reported it and the boatyard is covered, in the same way as if it had happened whilst going under Foundry Bridge.

You might find that boatyards don't often claim for damage these days.  It is not worth it as they do their own repairs and the damage waiver is itself, a form of insurance which covers this cost.  Broken marine windows however, are very expensive.

Perhaps it comes down to - is there a sign on the quay, which says mooring is forbidden during winter?  If so, then that must be the answer to the question!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

is there a sign on the quay, which says mooring is forbidden during winter?

Certainly at GY there are signs everywhere saying the moorings are closed but I think that's the BA covering their backs. 

I think it's like most things, use judgement and common sense. I've hired extensively in winter and never had any restrictions imposed on me............ yet!! :default_biggrin:

• Like 3

Hi If you want a look theirs nothing to stop you motering up there and have a look, the only restriction is NO hire boats through/under Bishops bridge, many no mooring signs are paper umbrellas to cover peoples rectum, why dont you use the Nelson method. John

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

Technically yes, agree with Helen, overnight would not be a good idea, if you wanted to pop to the shops it shouldn't be a problem although even better if you left someone on board.

That’s a good piece of advice. Yes, Graham did stay on board whilst I went to the shops. 

• Like 1