Norfolk Now In Tier 4

ChrisB

Well now that was a surprise yesterday, our area (South Yorkshire) is to remain in tier three for now, I was resigned to entering a tier four

If / when we do go into tier four, that could put me out of work yet again with no furlough or financial assistance (Not had a penny piece of financial help since this mess started).  If the Tile outlets can't supply tiles out to clients in a tier four lock down, then I'm on another break once again,  We'll see 

Griff

• Sad 2

I don't think that we were really expecting to jump from tier 2 to tier 4! Lockdown hair again then before you know it, I had an appointment booked at the hairdressers for 6th January! :default_rofl:

The weather hasn't helped either. Needed the lights on indoors by about 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon. I've seen the footage of flooding on the A140 at Long Stratton. Daresay it will be pretty flooded under the railway bridge in Hoveton, that seems to be a regular place for problems.

Looks like we are in for some rough weather Boxing Day. Strong winds possibly due to all the sprouts consumed the day before! 

If anyone is concerned about their boat but now unable to get to it I’m happy to check on Sunday, just let me know. 

I was always glad to check my canopy etc after strong winds when I had my boat.

Chris 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I like this message from Norfolk County Council which they have put out on their Facebook page:

With Norfolk going into Tier 4 on Boxing Day, don’t be tempted to push the boundaries and meet lots of people from different households before then.

Any mixing of households will increase the chance of Coronavirus spreading in the county and put even more pressure on our NHS.

Stick to the guidance and consider whether your plans can wait until a safer time.

image.thumb.png.d12d92b922900aaaa3e2ffc257e0d2d6.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

I thought Homo Sapiens were supposed to be the dominant intelligent species on this planet

The problem with intelligence is that it can be very selective and is often not supported by common sense. The most intelligent person I know could (and has) sent a rocket to mars but can't put oil in his own car or decide what needs putting is his suitcase. Ask him about directional stability in a low gravity environment or thrust vectors for critical velocity in an elliptical orbit and he'll wax lyrical for hours with words I've never heard before let alone understand. 

It's not those that struggle to understand the rules that annoy me so much, my wife has a learning difficulty and without someone to explain what is and is not acceptable would struggle to understand exactly what she can and cannot do. Colin, my rocket man friend referenced above wouldn't have a clue if his wife didn't tell him.  Let's be honest with all the different tiers and lock downs we have or have had it is not easy for any of us. What does get my goat is those who know exactly what the guidelines mean, what they should and should not do but who use the lack of actual legislation to justify to themselves as acceptable activities which they are fully aware are not intended by the guidelines, but not prohibited by legislation, with the defense of "I am not breaking any law".

The people who saw fit to buy toilet rolls, hand sanitiser etc by the hundreds and then try reselling them at inflated prices on ebay were not breaking any laws. Still I have a name for them, which I have deleted from this post, I have already been told off by Grendel once this week.

Happy Christmas.

:594c04f570582_default_happyparty:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Meantime said:

Since I've already stated on another thread that I drove for 25 miles to visit open countryside to take a socially distant walk with very few other people around I shall assume I'm one of the "morons" you refer to.

Not at all, I consider every member of this forum to be a friend, some who I have met and others I have yet to meet. Some I agree with, others I don't. Still a friend and one I hope to raise a glass with at some point down the road, when this crazy world allows.

It is for each of us to determine for ourselves if we are following the guidelines as they are intended. The first person we deceive is ourselves. My Grandma taught me that line when I was knee high to a grasshopper. 

• Like 2

Well it's Christmas Eve so let's just enjoy it the best we can with what ever tier we're in. The main thing is we haven't got the virus and our friends and families are all well as far as I know and hope we all remain that way

Mr N advised me in his earlier post to sit back and have a glass of wine, that's exactly what I'll be doing once the kids are tucked up :default_biggrin:

Have a lovely Christmas Eve :default_icon_kiss:

:default_xmas6:

• Like 7

The most intelligent person I know could (and has) sent a rocket to mars but can't put oil in his own car or decide what needs putting is his suitcase.

I know where you are coming from, I used to instruct young RN officers - University graduates,  in the arts of navigation, communication and seamanship to name just a few.  They were all young and highly intelligent.

They could easily work out the square root of a jar of marmalade but if I ordered them to get the lid off . . . .  

Meantime - Don't big yersen up so much, you have a long way to go before you progress to the dizzy heights of a qualified moron within the hallowed pages of the NBN - Just ask MM.

To me and no doubt most others you are just another friendly forumite like the rest of us

Griff

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SwanR said:

The weather hasn't helped either. Needed the lights on indoors by about 2 o'clock yesterday afternoon. I've seen the footage of flooding on the A140 at Long Stratton. Daresay it will be pretty flooded under the railway bridge in Hoveton, that seems to be a regular place for problems.

It’s been a tad damp here too.  Not sure if this will work, but the ‘brook’ at the bottom of our estate that is normally about two inches deep looked like this this morning:

https://www.facebook.com/nikki.bartram/videos/10159030444777640/

This isn’t my video and I’m definitely not responsible for the appalling singing.

Fortunately, no homes were flooded, but I’ve only seen it like this twice before since we moved here in 2002.

336F6366-FC77-43C4-9DF9-DA5EF84A09ED.jpeg

4 hours ago, Meantime said:

Since I've already stated on another thread that I drove for 25 miles to visit open countryside to take a socially distant walk with very few other people around I shall assume I'm one of the "morons" you refer to. Fortunately I have a thick skin and more importantly a clear conscience and I'm not a hypocrite. I'm not saying you are Paul, but a few people who have replied emotively to this thread need to take a long hard look at some of their actions over the past couple of months / weeks and the activities they have posted about on other threads. 

17 hours ago, floydraser said:

Anything one likes but it's probably pertinent to say nothing.

The top quote is what I was hoping to eliminate with the second quote. I question the wisdom of posting anything about what actions one may be taking, on any social media, which may inflame opinion, unless it is guaranteed to provoke a positive outcome. What's wrong with just getting on with it quietly and not winding anyone else up?

Merry Christmas by the way. :594c04f570582_default_happyparty:

• Like 2

I too looked out the window this morning to see the road covered in water, 7 of our neighbours have been flooded, we got away with it by about 5 inches, it nearly made the patio and did get in my shed by an inch, I think my immediate neighbour got away with it looking at damp lines and door level but he is hardly ever there and no-one has his number to let him know.

It's now receeding luckily.

We had approx 48mm of rain here in Blofield Heath - my garden was pretty damp around midnightish!!

I think that that is the third time this year we have had that much, or close to and this morning outside NBD the water was virtually across the whole road and the day boats were almost in the car park. Didn't check but couldn't have been a lot under the bridge!!

Suffin' must be agoin on!!!!

• Like 1

Walked down the road that leads to Summercraft and around some of that estate at lunchtime while the sun was out and the wet stuff had stopped. There were some quite flooded gardens around there. Also the Horning Road has got some flooding in the dip by the school. Someone has taken out that crossing as well a few days ago now.

IMG_1655.JPG

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Walked down the road that leads to Summercraft and around some of that estate at lunchtime while the sun was out and the wet stuff had stopped. There were some quite flooded gardens around there. Also the Horning Road has got some flooding in the dip by the school. Someone has taken out that crossing as well a few days ago now.

IMG_1655.JPG

Crumbs too much celebrating christmas by the look of it.

• Like 1

On 24/12/2020 at 08:59, SwanR said:

. Daresay it will be pretty flooded under the railway bridge in Hoveton, that seems tyo be a regular place for problems.

On 24/12/2020 at 13:58, RumPunch said:

The rod under Wroxham railway bridge is closed with two cars abandoned there

Road still closed, abandoned cars gone, tide still in! Luckily the station underpass is higher and drier and I could wheel my bike through via the overflow car park. Lot of standing water in the fields, could be problems again tomorrow, good job we’re in lockdown.