Headlining

Guest Cattleya

Has anyone tacked this job?

On Cattleya I have 4 mm ply boards which are covered in Vinyl. This is well past it's best, so I ordered a roll of Vinyl from Hawke House and some horrible green glue. I scrapped the old glue off the boards and they looked ok to my eye. Trouble is there must have been a few slight imperfections which now look truly awful through the new vinyl. I'm annoyed at wasting a few metres of expensive material, but want to get a good finish. I wonder if I'm better off starting with new ply boards as it seems the slightest bit of old glue on the boards shows through on the vinyl.

I'd appreciate any tips if anyone has done this before.

Get some quality foam backed vinyl and some spray on glue, it will cope with minor imperfections and the glue is easy to use, also it helps a bit with condensation. :grin:

I have £100 worth of unfoamed vinyl. Starting to wish I got foam backed instead.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I have £100 worth of unfoamed vinyl. Starting to wish I got foam backed instead.

Or how about the foam backed cloth type material, as vynil can condensate and let moisture sit on the surface?. I think it may be velour, or some sort of draylon?.

Wash the boards with some acetone, then buzz them over with a DA sander (random orbital sander) using nice rough bit of 60 grit. any low imperpections can be filled with a bit of Upol smooth 7 (or any P38) sanded then ready to cover, i would also use spay adhiesive.

Wash the boards with some acetone, then buzz them over with a DA sander (random orbital sander) using nice rough bit of 60 grit. any low imperpections can be filled with a bit of Upol smooth 7 (or any P38) sanded then ready to cover, i would also use spay adhiesive.

Thanks for that. Hawke House said I can't use spray adhesive and have supplied something in tins that looks like what comes out of your nose when you have a cold.

In the end I didn't glue the vinyl down, I stretched it and stapled the back, the finish looks much better. There are lights and vents screwed in the middle of the boards which prevent the vinyl from sagging in the middle. If it does start to sag it's not a difficult job to remove the staples and start again.

If I was doing the job again I'd start with new plywood boards.