Rivers Very High

Hylander

Had another 16mm last night!! Doesn't sound much on its own but another 1/2" won't help matters.

Good picture in EDP of it right up to the top at New Mills - usually miles away!!

Having said that, it does look as though its gone now to be followed by much chillier weather for a few days!

IMPORTANT INFORMATION.

A Flood Warning has been issued by the Environment Agency.

Flood Warning in force: The tidal River Yare from Thorpe St Andrew to Loddon.

Flooding is expected for: The tidal River Yare from Thorpe St Andrew to Loddon.   

Immediate action required.

This message has been issued because flooding of homes and businesses is likely from Sunday 27th December through to Monday 28th December. This is due to a natural tide locking effect in the Norfolk Broads. Areas most at risk are Brundall, Thorpe St Andrew, Reedham, Limpenhoe and Cantley. Roads include the A47, B1140 and the railway between Great Yarmouth and Brundall. A combination of tide locking and high fluvial flows into the broads will see high water levels around late evening on the 27th into the early hours of 28th. These high levels are expected to continue for the next few days. It is likely that we may need to issue more warning messages for a wider area, over the next few hours. Take care on waterside roads and footpaths and don't put yourself in unnecessary danger. We are monitoring the situation and will update this message as necessary. 

What you should consider doing now

---------------------------------------------

* Act on your flood plan if you have one.

* Move your family and pets to a safe place.

* Move your car or other vehicles to higher ground, if it is safe to do so.

* Use flood protection equipment, such as flood barriers, air brick covers and pumps to protect your property. Any equipment should be professionally supplied and installed to help reduce the impact of flood water. 

* Move important items upstairs or to a safe place in your property, starting with cherished items of personal value that you will not be able to replace (such as family photographs). Next move valuables (such as computers), movable furniture and furnishings. 

* You may need to leave your property, so pack a bag with enough items for a few nights away. Include essential items including a torch with spare batteries, mobile phone and charger, warm clothes, home insurance information, water, food, first aid kit and any prescription medicines or baby care items you may need. 

* Turn off gas, electricity and water mains supplies before flood water starts to enter your property. Never touch an electrical switch if you are standing in water.

* If it is safe to do so, make sure neighbours are aware of the situation and offer help to anyone who may need it.

* Listen to the advice of the emergency services and be ready to evacuate your property if told to do so. Most evacuation centres will let you bring your pets. 

* Avoid walking, cycling or driving through flood water. 30 cm of fast-flowing water can move a car and 6 inches can knock an adult off their feet.

* Flood water is dangerous and may be polluted. Wash your hands thoroughly if you've been in contact with it.

To check the latest information for your area

-------------------------------------------------------

* Visit the GOV.UK website to see the current flood warnings, view river and sea levels or check the 5-day flood risk forecast: https://flood-warning-information.service.gov.uk/target-area/054FWTBT2B

* Or call Floodline on 0345 988 1188 using quickdial code: 313335.

* Follow @EnvAgency and #floodaware on Twitter.

* Tune into weather, news and travel bulletins on local television and radio.

• Sad 4

Saw some footage of the Beccles area on BBC’s Look East regional programme this evening. You can probably pick it up off iPlayer no matter where you live. Interesting viewing. Really bad flooding and you have to feel for anyone in their situation. 

2 hours ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

Water was very, very high last night with ice this morning, level is now reduced by around six inches with next high around five hours.

Last night my wellies had about 1.5 inches freeboard when I went to work so for tonight I've put spare clothes in my workbag.

https://www.gov.uk/sign-up-for-flood-warnings.

This is worth doing. We get a phone call(recorded message), a text message and an email for each area you signup for. We had 2alerts and 2 warnings yesterday for the Yare and Waveney. Going to be pretty high again tonight. We really didn’t have a low tide in Thorpe.

Colin :default_beerchug:

• Thanks 1

Hi Vaughan, merry Christmas to you all over in France hope you are keeping well.

We were very lucky with the move. We have only had one day since when it would have been possible. Flipping COVID and my knee playing up stopped us bringing her back at the end of October.

We’ve just been down graded to Flood Alert. Until it rains again :default_biggrin:.

Colin :default_xmas6:

• Thanks 1

Went to Reedham Ferry for some fresh air this morning.   I was surprised with the height of the water that it was running at all but it was also very busy with walkers and cars.  The roads were thick mud where the water had run off of the fields and one road had a tree right across it.

The photos of the fields were taken from the car.

floods.jpg

floods1.jpg

Reedham Ferry.jpg

Looking across at Beccles Harbour.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MauriceMynah said:

I keep reading the title of this thread and wondering why nobody has written...

"And mountains very deep"

So I thought I'd better.

Problem is Maurice is we have no mountains.    This is Norfolk.      I was just conjuring up the picture of you dressed as Tina Turner with your fluffy wig and short sparkly dress and red high heels, not forgetting the fishnets.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Problem is Maurice is we have no mountains.    This is Norfolk.      I was just conjuring up the picture of you dressed as Tina Turner with your fluffy wig and short sparkly dress and red high heels, not forgetting the fishnets.

you've been peeking monica

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hylander said:

Would somebody be kind enough to pass me the Mind Bleach. 

• Haha 2