Confused

Jbx5

I know this has been done many times but can someone me one clarify the correct information regarding boat usage in our new tier 4 in Norfolk.

I have just looked on the BA website and it still states no overnight stays (is this old information ?) , but on my morning walk around Salhouse broad early doors there are hire boats around also  wild swimming taking place! 

I know and quite rightly they don’t want the area flooded with people from all over for obvious reasons  but as we live 10 minutes from our boat some sense is needed.

John

C3D6BE78-209C-4EFB-8C9B-E4922D2F057D.jpeg

C740AD95-A8E0-42F2-826B-B6895316445E.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

I know and quite rightly they don’t want the area flooded with people from all over for obvious reasons  but as we live 10 minutes from our boat some sense is needed.

John

Common sense is surely the key and it suggests that you can benefit from a ten minute brisk walk to the river bank, where, quite coincidently, you stop for a spot of fishing aboard your boat, or at least a hot toddy! 

The legal position according to legislation on the .gov.uk as opposed to the guidance on the .gov.uk website is as follows.

Tier 4 Stay at home.

You are allowed to leave home for a number of exceptions some of which include essential shopping, exercise and recreation.

You are not allowed to stay away from home overnight, this includes no stays in holiday homes or second homes.

The legislation, as opposed to the guidance does not put a limit on how far you can travel, or the mode of transport.

Therefore if you live in a tier 4 area such as Norfolk is now, then you should not be staying on your boat overnight. However despite the BA's rather dubious position, there is nothing in law that would stop you from using your boat during the day for recreation. Recreation is not banned, nor is the mode of travel for that recreation, or indeed the distance you need to travel to complete that recreation. As before National Trust gardens are remaining open in tier 4 areas even though they often require travel to access them. Distance travelled to reach recreation is limited by the requirement to return home over night and the requirement not to travel from a tier 4 area to a lower tier area.

If I was in Norfolk now I would much prefer to take my boat for an hour or twos cruise on my own, or with my household / social bubble, than join the masses at Horsey or Wells or any other of the popular hotspots for my recreation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sam said:

The thing is, that’s a Horning Ferry Marina boat not a private one.

It is my understanding that Horning Ferry Marina are one of the yards that hire during the Winter.

That being the case it is possible / extremely likely the hire commenced before Boxing Day which is when Norfolk moved from tier 2 to tier 4. Any holiday started in rented accommodation can continue. Off course the hirers would need to have come from a tier 1 or 2 area and follow tier 2 rules when in Norfolk, including the rules on not mixing households indoors.

I wouldn't expect to see any new hires starting until Norfolk moves down to tier 2.

4 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Simple Stay at home.In doing so we will all be out of this mess sooner.

But it really isn't that simple. People are allowed to go out for their own mental and physical well being. The key is to keep away from busy places and remember the basics Hands, Face, Space 

• Like 2

That’s the point Ian I am at home haven’t left Norfolk all year !

Was it  only a few weeks ago people from London were touring all over Norfolk ! That’s when people should have stayed at home. 

John 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

That’s the point Ian I am at home haven’t left Norfolk all year !

Was it  only a few weeks ago people from London were touring all over Norfolk ! That’s when people should have stayed at home. 

John 

Some with the full knowledge they were entering tier 3 the next day, not just to check on things, but doing the full on touristy thing as well. :facepalm:

• Like 1

Dont know if you are referring  to me or not.However Marina  and I visited  the boat a few weeks back.And yes the next day we went into tier 3 now 4.As for my self I am now shielding apart  from the house  I've been no where.My next visit out is the Dentist on the fourth of January.Due to my Shingles  even walking  short  distances is painful.

I think Meantime has summed it up nicely in his post about what you can or cannot do - that about sums it up IMHO.

The BA do themselves no favours making their own interpretations, particularly as they themselves have no powers to enforce what they say.

Despite many people decrying those who dare go outside their front door, there are people around who are sensible enough to make their own, and proper decisions without any risk of them infecting another person. You have to remember there are many who live on their own, who have no support bubble, and who will not have seen anyone over Christmas, and others who have no family, who may not even have spoken to anyone, let alone seen another person for perhaps over a week? Do you wish them to lock themselves away as well? Think perhaps on their mental health?

We live in a lonely world with split families, less children and many less fortunate than even Ian for example, who has a partner to talk to whilst he locks himself away. (Sorry Ian just using you as an example!!! )

Edited by grendel
removed reference to Broads No Authority
  • Like 7

Marshman you have hit the nail fair and squarely on the head. There is a core here, and in many other places as well that just repeat the mantra stay at home, often whilst living in glass houses.

However there are no rights and wrongs in this situation. There are very few people who want to knowingly spread the virus and no one wants to catch the virus I'm sure.

The following is all generic and not aimed at anybody in particular.

There are couch potatoes who will be more than happy to be given an excuse not to move from the settee. Then there are others who through ill health temporary or long term are not able to live an active lifestyle anyway.

There are those who are living with a partner, perhaps also with children who will find it easier to lock and bolt the front door.

There are those who are very happy with their own company who also will gladly lock and bolt the front door.

But there are also those who love the outdoors, who love being active who find it incredibly difficult to cut themselves off from that.

There are those who live on their own but do enjoy company.

There are those for whom being cooped up is bad for their mental well being.

Then there are those who need to leave home to keep the economy going, the food on the supermarket shelves, to earn a living to pay taxes to in some small way help pay for all those staying safe at home.

The government learnt from the first full lockdown about some of the mental and physical damage that was done by blindly insisting everyone stays at home with just one outing per day.

I have become growingly frustrated with a core who seem to think it is bending the rules, looking for loopholes, told you know what you need to do, it is simple stay at home.

No it is not simple, nor Black and White, there are many shades in between and we all need to find our own safe way through this virus whilst doing our best to stay safe, and keep others safe, and that may not always mean staying at home and bolting the front door for two months.

I would also echo our treasurers advice not to label people or groups of people who chose to find their own way through this mess even if it doesn't suit your ideals, or your idea of the best way through this. The labelling of people for their actions needs to stop on this forum.

I have often felt I am treading a fine line here recently because I am an active outdoors person, do take the time to read the legislation and not just the guidance and will not follow blindly the mantra of stay at home it's simple really. I do not look for loopholes, bend or knowingly break the rules. I try to use good judgement and common sense to make life as normal as possible whilst avoiding as much risk as possible, taking care not to spread the virus, whilst still trying to look after my mental and physical well being.

Be kind and remember Hands, Face, Space and never be without your bottle of sanitiser.

• Like 9

"Be kind and remember Hands, Face, Space and never be without your bottle of sanitiser".........That totally sums it up for me. I still go out for walks and to the supermarket, if I didn't I think I would go crazy but I always, always do what Meantime said in that last sentence. Being sensible is the only way through this x

:default_xmas6: 

• Like 4

The problem probably stems from confusing and sometimes contradictory information that we are being told.  Theoretically, people from lower tier areas should not enter areas in higher tiers, however how is the distribution of goods to shops and customers interpreted?  If we are to stop the spread of the virus by not leaving the towns or villages in which we live, the distribution network will grind to a halt, so it is utterly impossible to comply with the law.  Folk who cannot work from home must go to work and if the work in a different area, should they quit or carry on working?

There are so many necessary loopholes that containment of the virus is almost impossible.  Look at the figures for how and where the virus is transmitted and top of the list is supermarkets, followed by schools.  Why then have schools not been closed?  It is clear to me that the virus will spread within a class of children, working in a room with thirty others and a teacher, then being taken home.  A friend of mine, who is now working as a teacher’s assistant, said that schools should be closed to all pupils except those in examination years.

Once again, tourists seem to be taking the blame for visiting a county so reliant on tourism, when there are many other things that should be considered, which is why I commented on another thread that the subject of Covid should be left alone on the Forum.

We currently live in Northamptonshire, which being in the centre of the country is a hub for distribution, with many companies having NDCs here.  Drivers from all over Europe come to the county every day.  It would be impossible to ban entry to them, as the supply of everyday items would dry up creating shortages in days.  We all have to be realistic in respect of these rules and laws, for life in general to continue.

• Like 6

I think the last four posts illustrate brilliantly why the Covid subject SHOULD be discussed on forums such as this one.

I am probably one of the...    "a core who seem to think it is bending the rules, looking for loopholes, told you know what you need to do, it is simple stay at home." I recognize myself there somewhere.

I do not close my mind to other peoples views though, some make me re-evaluate my own. Without this forum (which is, generally speaking "Covid safe") I would receive  no input, and would come out of this lockdown (or call it what you will) none the wiser.

• Like 6

In the main the Broads and boats is what we all have in common. Not only is this a Broads forum, it allows us to discuss things other than those subjects. I think that's a very important part of this forums success. We really do have a great community going on here and I think it helps us all to discuss this dreadful situation we are all in. We are among friends here and as MM says, Covid safe x

It's good to talk (type) as the saying goes x

:default_xmas6:

• Like 3

I do wish we could stick to how it's relevant to the Broads and boating though. Otherwise this becomes one more place where you could easily fall out with people whose opinion differs to one's own. And I wouldn't want that to happen. 

There are other places to read and discuss more generally.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1