The Chairman's New Year's Message

Timbo

The Chairman's New Year's Message

This last year has been a year of shocks and restrictions. There have been sad losses along the way, family members, friends, and members of the forum. Faces, voices, wisdom and kindness that we will dearly miss on the Broads in the years to come. Indeed this year has been one that most of us will be glad to see the back of. But before this year slinks off into infamy I would like to express my thanks to those that have put others before themselves to stop the wheels from falling off. The doctors, nurses and key workers all, from delivery drivers to shop workers, transportation to industry, everyone who has done their part.

Nearer to home I would like to thank the members of the NBN for supporting the Broadland community, businesses and each other through this last year. Some of the things our members have been involved in have included

• Organizing the 'weekly ring round' and telephone isolated members and those members in poor health.

• Helping some members with doing the weekly shop and explaining online ordering.

• Checking boats and topping up electric posts.

I'd like to thank Arthur for the chat room, the folks running and taking part in the quiz and providing much needed company.

A big thank you to members who have taken the time to create and provide content from the history of the Broads to making models, regular posts of walks with photographs to keep us active and engaged. I've enjoyed them all, please keep them coming?

I would like to thank Tom Waterfall from the Broads Authority for his hard work over the last year his efforts have really been appreciated!

I would like to thank our sponsors for their continued support. At the beginning of the year we decided to look for ways we could help our sponsors in these difficult times. One of the ways we could help was to carry the sponsors advertising but send out zero invoices for this year. We are continuing to look at other ways in which we can support local Broads businesses over the coming year.

A big thank you to Aunty Pat and Uncle Mike for running the forum store quickly and efficiently. They've kept the forum ticking over.

I'd like to thank our treasurer Ian and secretary Polly for all of their hard work over the year and keeping our heads above water... and for putting up with my obscure phone calls and warped sense of humour.

Last but definitely not least I'd like to thank our ever growing team of moderators across all of our platforms for their help and support. They do a very hard job and they do it very well indeed. We are already working on the changes required by the 'Online Harms' legislation to be introduced in 2021 and have been for the last year.

The coming year will have its challenges but I'm confident that as an ever growing organization we can meet them. All that remains is to wish everyone a happy, safe and prosperous new year!

Timbo

• Like 22
  • Thanks 13

I too would like to Thank Tim and Ian for their guidance and hard work keeping up with the upcoming legislation to ensure we remain compliant, Polly for all her unseen work in the background, All of the moderation Team, without whom I would be a lot busier, All of our event Organisers, for whom this year has been made particularly difficult, Pat and Mike for looking after the shop, and finally all of the members for at least mostly sticking within the TOS and making the moderator teams job easier.

• Like 9

My thanks to Tim and all who keep the forum running, and especially to those who post amusing and interesting contributions and who keep this place a friendly and welcoming environment. I first discovered the forum in 2017, a particularly challenging year for me personally, and it has continued to be a place I go to find friends. I am very wary of social media in general, don't really do Facebook etc., so I don’t say that lightly. 

• Like 1