Herringfleet Mill

JennyMorgan

I'd forgotten about Charlie Howlett.

Now he was a real local character. Typical Marshman. Used to see him in the bell at St Olaves occasionally.

He gave us a talk at Somerleyton school one winter. All about how the mill worked, interspersed as usual with witty stories.

Huge huge shame that there are just not enough resources to look after these wonderful sights of Broadland. They take money and skills from those, generally, no longer with us and whilst one or two are in good condition and keep going, the majority will just continue to fall gradually into disrepair and become a bygone..

Every now and again someone comes up with a bit of cash in the hope of working wonders, but generally its too thinly spread and the cash disappears into bureaucracy and high hopes, resulting in little change overall!!

Don't get me started on this topic - windmills, or pumps are a quintessential part of the Broads landscape and whilst some of the bodies involved undoubtedly mean well, there is no doubt that in 50 years or so, only the odd one or two will remain and the remainder will be sadly missed.

Still I won't be here to see that but what an opportunity thrown out with the bath water!!!!!

• Like 3