BMC blowing up on new red diesil

I was told today that some yards have been having a problem with fuel pump not being lubricated by new low sulphur red diesil, fuel pump then wearing out alowing the engine to run on its own sump oil, till you stall by blocking air intake or it goes bang!

Im not wanting to scare munger or spread rumur, i just wanted to know the word on the street (or river). alot of you are running BMC and other old engine's which might have the same issue.

if this is the case we need to know the right additive to add to the fuel and fast, heres a couple of sugestions, 2 stroke oil well known to lubricate and cooking oil works in the loo's and having used it in an old car a few years ago give off a nice chip shop aroma!

Hope to hear back from you all soon

Mark

A drop of 2T is a good idea but I would be more worried about FAME content damaging fuel lines and seals than lack of lubrocity from the sulphur; I reckon most tales about that are apocryphal (though some are true) whereas the FAME content is a real and general issue as far as increased bug possibility and dissolving tank sludge which blocks filters. Don’t just take the suppliers word that it is “OK for boats†the more people that refuse to buy ultra low sulphur red with FAME content the sooner suppliers will provide it as a matter of course.

A drop of 2T is a good idea but I would be more worried about FAME content damaging fuel lines and seals than lack of lubrocity from the sulphur; I reckon most tales about that are apocryphal (though some are true) whereas the FAME content is a real and general issue as far as increased bug possibility and dissolving tank sludge which blocks filters. Don’t just take the suppliers word that it is “OK for boats†the more people that refuse to buy ultra low sulphur red with FAME content the sooner suppliers will provide it as a matter of course.

Excuse my ignorance, could you explain the 'FAME content'?

I would be most surprised if the hire-yards were selling these types of fuel because of the possible effects on their own engines... any comments, Clive?

Not yet!

Some suppliers say they can provide FAME free but others say 'you get what we get' and as I understand it all the tankers pull from Yarmouth so I assume it is unlikely.

I am no expert though so dont really want to give any more of my knowledge as some may not be 100%.

Not yet!

Some suppliers say they can provide FAME free but others say 'you get what we get' and as I understand it all the tankers pull from Yarmouth so I assume it is unlikely.

I am no expert though so dont really want to give any more of my knowledge as some may not be 100%.

Alot of your older boats still have BMC's dont they? Have you had any problems? your boats clock up more hours than most so you should notice any probs first. If not your about to be very busy as everyone is going to fill up from you!!!!

Hi all I read an article on this some time ago in pbo the bods in the nkow seem to favour 2stroke oil added Iam trailing this at the moment at 50:1 ratio semi synthetic from halfords .

At the end of the year the heads and injector pumps will be striped and inspected :yawn: will post all results when i get them the only differance at the moment is significant less noise from injecter pumps and injecters measured with electronic stethoscope no extra smoke when warm. Being Ford diesals

they make like a destroyer on start up (Ford 150 turbos) making smoke but allways have :oops:

Craig

The idea of addng two stroke oil as an addative is a good one. However, if you add to much you will run the risk of glazing the bores and subsequently loosing compression.

Ian I think you are right 200-1 would be more than adequate.

I think we should all use Castrol R and bring the smell of the race track to the broads. :grin:

cheersbar

Guest DAYTONA-BILL
The idea of addng two stroke oil as an addative is a good one. However, if you add to much you will run the risk of glazing the bores and subsequently loosing compression.

Ian I think you are right 200-1 would be more than adequate.

I think we should all use Castrol R and bring the smell of the race track to the broads. :grin:

cheersbar

Castrol-R? ........... Now there`s a blast from the past. Don`t say any more Colin, it may give away your age? :naughty::naughty::lol::lol::lol: . Now where`s my crash helmet gone?.

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I did talk to one of the yard owners about this, and he said exactly the same regarding premature engine wear, and blocking filters. I seem to remember him mentionning "gas oil" which is a legal alternative to red deisel, but does`nt suffer from the same problems ULS deisel does. Does anybody know any more about gas oil, and what are the benefits if any?. Regards .............. Neil.

Can we clarify this issue please . From the above and from what I have read I believe there are two totally separate issues

1< The Bio content causing issues with water absorption and the "bug" This must be a real issue to many private owners who keep a full tank and top up with say 20 or 30 litres two or three times a year. Is this a big problem, will it be overcome by fastidious annual changing of the filters ? say once a year.

2, Lack of lubrication to fuel pump etc. Looks like there is a simple solution to this from the notes above. But how serious is it again will it mean major panic in an engine that only does 100 or so hours a year.

The thread title refers to "blowing up" does this refer to a potential catestropic failure or are we just talking about a new pump in about 10 yrs after if gets erratic or smoky.

There was a comment made about the engine running on its own lube, if that is a consequence it is a serious business and Blowing up is a valid term. I have never seen a diesel engine do this but have had direct conversation with two people who have seen it and it is scary. One was on an old Lister generator motor and the other on a new Ford Ranger due to a turbo fault. I believe it is a brave person who sticks around to try and stick a rag in the air intake of an old engine spinning at twice is normal speed. and indeed in the case of the lister it was ineffective and was only stopped by emptying a CO2 extinquisher into the intake.

An instruction was issued at work after that was that " If an engine runs away so do you."

So anyone got any idea of the magnitude of the issue please?

Hi all I read an article on this some time ago in pbo the bods in the nkow seem to favour 2stroke oil added Iam trailing this at the moment at 50:1 ratio semi synthetic from halfords .

At the end of the year the heads and injector pumps will be striped and inspected :yawn: will post all results when i get them the only differance at the moment is significant less noise from injecter pumps and injecters measured with electronic stethoscope no extra smoke when warm. Being Ford diesals

they make like a destroyer on start up (Ford 150 turbos) making smoke but allways have :oops:

Craig

:ugeek:SORRY GUYS RATIO SHOULD HAVE TYPED 100:1 NOT 50:1 BRAIN NOT IN GEAR