The Repair Shop Shed

Wussername

I have an old ships bell, a brass bell, which is somewhat tarnished. Should I leave it as is, or clean it. Shiny bright as I used to remember.

If I decide to go the clean route how do go about it, wire wool grade 0000 I believe although that does seem a bit drastic to me. I really do not want to mess up.

What other process should I consider.

Andrew

Try brown sauce and then polish or just leave the natural patina and wash with mild detergent and soft cloth. The natural finish will please MM :default_icon_e_biggrin:.

Colin :default_drinks:

p.s. You can use malt vinegar and a soft cloth to start with but I prefer to save it for my chips.

• Like 1

Brass, a mix of copper and zinc. The ratio depending on purpose and manufacturer. Purity can make a difference as to how it ages and it’s scrap value. Then you still have bronze and gunmetal with all the variations and % of other metals.

IMHO just polish it unless it’s comes from a historical ship.

Colin :default_beerchug:

2 hours ago, grendel said:

Autosol chrome polish on a buffing wheel, I bought a steam engine boiler from black to polished using this in a dremel

Autosol is what I use on my brasses and have done for years. Coke bath to strip the worst of the tarnishing (and any nasty "staybrite" lacquer) off, then a good going over with Autosol. And bog standard Brasso for maintenance. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

Just a thought, I used T-Cut on a really rough old lamp, that brought it back to life a treat! Might not be a recommended technique but that was what I had to hand and the lamp was not exactly precious.

To be fair, T-Cut is a polish all polishes work on a similar principle, a mild (or micro) abrasive to wear off the tarnish. Albeit on T-Cut it works more by smoothing out marks in the clearcoat. I use Autosol first because it's a heavier duty abrasive than Brasso, but Brasso to finish is a good shout. Much the same as when you compound your car (or gelcoat!), start with a heavier abrasive and work down to a finish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Blimey it's confusing... please put the following in order of abrasiveness, if that's even a word:

Brasso, T-Cut, cutting compound, Cif (Jif or cream cleaner), Vim, lemon juice & salt, your Grandad's flannelette nightshirt, and anything else found in the kitchen or garage.

No prizes.

:default_sailing:

1 hour ago, PaulN said:

JennyMorgan

If your Genie granted you 3 wishes, could you get rid of this virus please, so we can get back on our boats :default_icon_bowdown:

So long as I could choose which boat and owner combination to protect!! Wooden sailing boat owners would of course take priority, followed closely by those of classic Broads wooden motor cruisers. Perhaps, after a month or two, I would include the general riff-raff. Of course I jest, in reality I would . . . . . . . . 

Whack on three coats of black Hammerite. 

Saves all this cleaning malarkey. 

I did clean a brass thing once and tried everything. Ended up using "The Pink Stuff" £1 a pot from Lathams and other similar places. Its also great for GRP bits and a lot cheaper the G3 or G6

• Thanks 1

Yes. We swear by The Pink Stuff, very low abraision and works wonders on the Fibreglass. Perhapd remove any hevy corrosion first, then give it a try.

KM We have artificial teak decks, hope that fits in somewhere in your pecking order  :default_smiley-char054:(tongue in cheek)