Jump to content
  • Announcements

    PLEASE NOTE THAT THE NBN MOBILE APP IS CURRENTLY NOT WORKING

Recommended Posts

Spotted this on Fleabay, looks quite a task but if someone is feeling brave?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30ft-Wooden-Canal-Cruiser-for-Renovation-/164628796625?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

Looks a bit Martham to me (perhaps a Janet?)but happy to be corrected if anyone knows different.

I have no connection to this, just posting for the sake of interest.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks not far from the condition MB&D had alongside and in front of their dry sheds. There must have been 5-6 of them mainly Janet’s and possibly the odd Judith along with some other brands. All are now ashes, with only a few props and shafts left to show they were once there. There are a few better examples that could be, one day, may be looked at in their shed/s. 

Waiting for that lottery win to come in.... 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

it does look a bit sad, just looked on the boats database, only 2 are reported as going into private hands, nos 4 & 6, they did take a few into the sheds for renovation, Jayne was taken out of service and replaced with jayne 2 in 2019 (I know as i was the first to hire the new one and took her to the wooden boat show in 2019.) she had been in the water 2 hours when I picked her up, and I had to wait for some finishing touches to be added (like the toilet roll holder)

still they are nice boats (and amongst the few that can regularly traverse under Potter heigham Bridge)

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grendel said:

it does look a bit sad, just looked on the boats database, only 2 are reported as going into private hands, nos 4 & 6, they did take a few into the sheds for renovation, Jayne was taken out of service and replaced with jayne 2 in 2019 (I know as i was the first to hire the new one and took her to the wooden boat show in 2019.) she had been in the water 2 hours when I picked her up, and I had to wait for some finishing touches to be added (like the toilet roll holder)

still they are nice boats (and amongst the few that can regularly traverse under Potter heigham Bridge)

I know where no6 is so that could well be 4?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just up the road. 17 miles as the crow flies. Bit nearer than Brundall but slightly more involved. Probably not previously owned by a famous actor or I'd be in. :default_icon_rolleyes:

What3words: shelters.divorcing.topic - gets you right into the helm seat.

Debdale is a nice little marina but quite remote for a low loader. The only way out floating is north through Leicester for anything fatter than 6' 10".

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, floydraser said:

Debdale is a nice little marina but quite remote for a low loader. The only way out floating is north through Leicester for anything fatter than 6' 10".

You get to closer to my end of the county and you get to Pillings Lock Marina...which is just as remote :8_laughing: and not much further on and you'd pass within a mile of my house!

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

You get to closer to my end of the county and you get to Pillings Lock Marina...which is just as remote :8_laughing: and not much further on and you'd pass within a mile of my house!

Just curious, Chris, you have boating right on your doorstep yet you come up to the Broads? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

You get to closer to my end of the county and you get to Pillings Lock Marina...which is just as remote :8_laughing: and not much further on and you'd pass within a mile of my house!

They didn't have any wide berths available when I enquired. Would have been handy to nip round to yours when I forgot my drill! :default_sailing:

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Just curious, Chris, you have boating right on your doorstep yet you come up to the Broads? 

I've never much fancied the canals in all fairness, although that probably stems from always going to the Broads. I've been going to Norfolk since before I can remember, and at 36 I think there's probably only 2 or 3 years I haven't had at least a week on a boat there! I'm used to the big cruisers (Alphas, Aquafibres and the like) and don't much like the look of narrow boats or the narrower river boats. I like riding my bike down the canals but that's about it.

I suppose also it's a bit like when I lived in Dorset: I was 30 minutes from Weymouth and Poole/Bournemouth yet never did the "touristy" things because I lived there.

20 minutes ago, floydraser said:

They didn't have any wide berths available when I enquired. Would have been handy to nip round to yours when I forgot my drill! :default_sailing:

It's a really nice walk along the tow path from near me down to the lock itself, but although you can stand opposite the entrance to the basin you can't get in by foot from the canal! I used to frequently have lunch over there with my late grandparents though. I take it forgetting tool is a semi-regular occurrence then? :default_laugh:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

I take it forgetting tool is a semi-regular occurrence then?

No semi about, every sodding visit! For me it's normally somewhere between newmarket and thetford when I remember something I was going to take or bring back, once got all the way to thorpe and realised we didn't have the key, luckily we learnt a long time ago to always have a spare secreted somewhere, not going to tell you where though......

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

 I take it forgetting tool is a semi-regular occurrence then? :default_laugh:

Used to be. I make endless notes now before travelling; 140 miles suddenly becomes a lot further when you forget something! :facepalm:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Used to be. I make endless notes now before travelling; 140 miles suddenly becomes a lot further when you forget something! :facepalm:

Surely the cost of a cheapish power drill is cheaper than a 280 mile round trip in fuel? :8_laughing:

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

Surely the cost of a cheapish power drill is cheaper than a 280 mile round trip in fuel? :8_laughing:

Right again, which is why there is one permanently on the boat along with a set of screwdrivers, tape etc, all the common things which tend to get left behind. :default_eusa_dance:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had another look and I would guess the marina are trying to get back some lost income. The phone numbers given are those of the marina but I think the person behind the auction is a friend or employee. Understandable as selling on Ebay can be a real pain. Who ever it is I think someone should have told them it's not a narrowboat.

But then it is selling and I doubt the buyer would break it up; there can't be anything worth more than £73 on it!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, floydraser said:

 Who ever it is I think someone should have told them it's not a narrowboat.

Very likely mass selling and made a template. Then just changed heading, photo's and description.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, floydraser said:

But then it is selling and I doubt the buyer would break it up; there can't be anything worth more than £73 on it!

it would probably be worth that to marthams as spare parts for their Janet

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.