Jump to content
  • Announcements

    Welcome! New around here? Take a look at the New Members' Guide for some pointers.

    Not a member yet? Sign up here and you can soon be chatting away with friends old and new..

    Check out our Handy Information section if you're after something quickly!

Road Works 2021


TheQ

Recommended Posts

at the moment, the A47,  norwich bypass is a nightmare from the postwick flyover  to the A140 junction,  both east and west bound,  they are doing some central reservation work and the traffic is very slow with long tail backs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, gancanny said:

at the moment, the A47,  norwich bypass is a nightmare from the postwick flyover  to the A140 junction,  both east and west bound,  they are doing some central reservation work and the traffic is very slow with long tail backs

Might last to August, so I`ve heard and it is down to one lane either side.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The roadworks on the bypass are a typical Norfolk joke!!

Ok I know a lorry, or something big, demolished part of the central reservation and to leave it untouched is not possible - but it takes 3mths to do this? They have also found another bit thats a bit shorter further down towards Postwick but total length perhaps 200 yards or thereabouts.

Can you see this happening on the M25? No they would pull their finger out and get on with it! No one there today, neither tomorrow I bet - why can they not work 7 days a week, early morning starts and late finishes and ALL weekend. Is that too much to ask on one of Norfolks busiest roads?

The Highway Agency seem to be taking the whole thing as if it were an Alan Partridge set - absolutely disgraceful just as we get up to peak holiday time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well - that bits wrong at least!!

They have been doing overnight work on trees and encroaching bushes but that finished about 3 weeks or more ago!! Handy that these things are up to date!!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, marshman said:

Well - that bits wrong at least!!

They have been doing overnight work on trees and encroaching bushes but that finished about 3 weeks or more ago!! Handy that these things are up to date!!!!!

Future Roadworks ⓘ

Location The A47 westbound between the junctions with the A146 and the A140

Reason Barrier repairs are planned

Status Pending

Schedule Expect disruption everyday between 20:30 and 05:00 from 10 May 2021 to 15 May 2021

Schedule Expect disruption everyday between 20:30 and 05:00 from 17 May 2021 to 22 May 2021

Schedule Expect disruption everyday between 20:30 and 05:00 from 24 May 2021 to 28 May 2021

Schedule Expect disruption everyday between 20:30 and 05:00 from 1 June 2021 to 5 June 2021

Schedule Expect disruption everyday between 20:30 and 05:00 from 7 June 2021 to 12 June 2021

Schedule Expect disruption everyday between 20:30 and 05:00 from 14 June 2021 to 19 June 2021

Schedule Expect disruption everyday between 20:30 and 05:00 from 21 June 2021 to 26 June 2021

Lanes Closed

Link to comment
Share on other sites

those dates are for next week,  the queues on thursday, friday and saturday gone were a pain and that was during the day

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That would be good if that is what they are going to do but currently they have nearly 2 miles of cones - are they really going to move them in and out every night?

Perhaps I am prejudging them!!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Been stuck there 3 mornings this last week going to work and just dropped our grandson off again all coned off and not seen a single worker all week! Do we really have this until August. 

John 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

looking at the work they are currently doing, i would say they are preparing a contraflow system as the work is at each end.

       

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is chapter and verse from Highways England.

https://highwaysengland.co.uk/our-work/east/a47-postwick-to-ipswich-road-resurfacing/

Various phases planned, much of it overnight only but some contraflow also. This current phase of lane closures is due to last until 23rd of May.

I had the pleasure of a 15 minute (ish) delay coming home this evening at around 1730 hours.

Bit of a pain but it has to be done sometime I guess....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, but i work for Highways England.

Half of my working week is at night and if you go around the country you would be amazed at the amount of work happens overnight with road closers and lane closers.

Only to have people complain you do nothing.

Its all about safety and convenience. think about it. You have a long thin building site in which you cant stack up lorries so works progress in a logical order rather every one doing a bit there or bit here. The aim here is to reduce HGVs merging or leaving the site as much as possible in order to reduce accidents.

The other way is to close the road completely.

We could work 24/7, but that would require many more workers, HGV movements and really push up the cost. Higher tax's anyone?

Other things to consider is that when a lot of these roads was planned, massive planting was promised in order to hide the road. Guess what? 20 years down the line these verges grow out, block the drains with leaves and need cutting back.

It's also easy to cut the road repair budget but roads do wear out and eventually you still need to repair but now those little jobs have got much bigger.

And finally, all that protects me from you is a sign (610 in local parlance)  and a cone. But that was not enough. You still cut in at the last minute. So we went to speed cameras, vari barrier and much longer tapers.

That bit isn't our fault, have a look how people drive up to the works and in it.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heading out of the county (just), North Walsham to Beccles tomorrow. Quick look at NCC roadworks link & map is making me think neither via Norwich nor GY look free of roadworks of some description somewhere along the line so thinking the scenic route via Reedham ferry to make it more pleasurable.

Forumites local knowledge/ advice welcomed!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Done that journey today.
You have 10 min hold up on the A47 (traffic moving but going slow as it goes into 1 lane) between Postwick and the A140 both sides.
Then 5 min hold up as temp lights at the Highway garden centre on the A146 for drainage work at the side of the road.

John

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Turnoar said:

Heading out of the county (just), North Walsham to Beccles tomorrow. Quick look at NCC roadworks link & map is making me think neither via Norwich nor GY look free of roadworks of some description somewhere along the line so thinking the scenic route via Reedham ferry to make it more pleasurable.

Forumites local knowledge/ advice welcomed!

 

I had to wait 3 minutes for the Ferry yesterday going south  ( It was closing at 9pm also) They have a vacancy for an operator

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the replies Jbx & Btr, very enjoyable journey via the ferry both ways, I had to wait 3 mins going North on the retrun leg but only on account of a van plus trailer. Looks like the pub is opening from 19th May. Ferry was closing at 8pm tonight and poster for a ferry operator as noted above, think my youngster daughter is interested in the thing like a bridge that goes across the river with some other things where the man goes inside to drive the bridge; 1 hour ten mins including crossing excitement! Her indoors thought I'd gone the wrong way when I pulled up at the dead end outside the pub.... 15 mins early for her jab in the end lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/05/2021 at 12:53, Cheesey69 said:

Sorry, but i work for Highways England.

Half of my working week is at night and if you go around the country you would be amazed at the amount of work happens overnight with road closers and lane closers.

Only to have people complain you do nothing.

Its all about safety and convenience. think about it. You have a long thin building site in which you cant stack up lorries so works progress in a logical order rather every one doing a bit there or bit here. The aim here is to reduce HGVs merging or leaving the site as much as possible in order to reduce accidents.

The other way is to close the road completely.

We could work 24/7, but that would require many more workers, HGV movements and really push up the cost. Higher tax's anyone?

Other things to consider is that when a lot of these roads was planned, massive planting was promised in order to hide the road. Guess what? 20 years down the line these verges grow out, block the drains with leaves and need cutting back.

It's also easy to cut the road repair budget but roads do wear out and eventually you still need to repair but now those little jobs have got much bigger.

And finally, all that protects me from you is a sign (610 in local parlance)  and a cone. But that was not enough. You still cut in at the last minute. So we went to speed cameras, vari barrier and much longer tapers.

That bit isn't our fault, have a look how people drive up to the works and in it.

I don’t think anyone is denying the necessity of the works, but the timing stinks. Starting this at the beginning of a holiday season, which is likely to be extremely busy due to the restrictions to foreign travel due to the pandemic and increased staycations, is frankly ridiculous.  Aside from the inconvenience to locals, this will increase many fold with the addition of increased tourist traffic.  After four months of lockdown, with a reduced traffic flow, the timing really couldn’t be worse.

You also mention cost and higher taxes.  The cost to local businesses with vehicles stuck in traffic queues will be high, the cost to the motorists with increased fuel consumption will increase, the damage to the environment with dozens of engines ticking over, pumping out pollution will increase.

I’ve also read that other roadworks are in place on the A11 between Thetford and Attleborough, not to mention the two sets that are already in place on the A14 near Newmarket.  Travelling to Norfolk from some parts of the country over the next few months could be extremely frustrating.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Winter working brings a raft of problems. 
materials struggle to set in cold temperatures. 
reduced visibility is a major hazard. 
Ice conditions make make operations risky to public and workers. 
Ask those living near the works or indeed those near quarries, factories or muster points what they would feel like as lorries, men and equipment thunder past at 2 in the morning. 
The loss of shops income is something, but the increase of wages through out the supply chain for running a three shift would probably out weigh the loss of income. 
Don't forget those self same workers was also suffering the effects of covid. 
worth remembering the construction industry with is supply chain is the biggest employer and was effected by materials shortages and work force sickness. 
lastly, having to sit in a traffic jam or be inconvenienced by a speed restrictions is a fair price to pay for me and my colleagues safety while all that means is that you have to leave half an hour earlier. 
This is the price you pay for living in a country where you can live in the country. 
Everything around you has got there by road, from food to water. 
should the worse happen, road systems reduce the effects of an accident.

that is when people are very grateful for road works believe you me  

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Cheesey69 said:

Winter working brings a raft of problems. 
materials struggle to set in cold temperatures. 
reduced visibility is a major hazard. 
Ice conditions make make operations risky to public and workers. 
Ask those living near the works or indeed those near quarries, factories or muster points what they would feel like as lorries, men and equipment thunder past at 2 in the morning. 
The loss of shops income is something, but the increase of wages through out the supply chain for running a three shift would probably out weigh the loss of income. 
Don't forget those self same workers was also suffering the effects of covid. 
worth remembering the construction industry with is supply chain is the biggest employer and was effected by materials shortages and work force sickness. 
lastly, having to sit in a traffic jam or be inconvenienced by a speed restrictions is a fair price to pay for me and my colleagues safety while all that means is that you have to leave half an hour earlier. 
This is the price you pay for living in a country where you can live in the country. 
Everything around you has got there by road, from food to water. 
should the worse happen, road systems reduce the effects of an accident.

that is when people are very grateful for road works believe you me  

 

Trust me, forty two years of working in the logistics industry, twenty five plus years in transport and warehouse management and forty three years since I passed my HGV licence, I’m well aware of the importance of transportation by road, but the timing of these works is frankly ridiculous.  I dread to think of the issues that will arise over the forthcoming weekends, when the peak of the holiday traffic will descend on the area!!  I don’t think allowing half an hour extra will come close to being enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mouldy said:

I don’t think anyone is denying the necessity of the works, but the timing stinks. Starting this at the beginning of a holiday season, which is likely to be extremely busy due to the restrictions to foreign travel due to the pandemic and increased staycations, is frankly ridiculous.  Aside from the inconvenience to locals, this will increase many fold with the addition of increased tourist traffic.  After four months of lockdown, with a reduced traffic flow, the timing really couldn’t be worse.

You also mention cost and higher taxes.  The cost to local businesses with vehicles stuck in traffic queues will be high, the cost to the motorists with increased fuel consumption will increase, the damage to the environment with dozens of engines ticking over, pumping out pollution will increase.

I’ve also read that other roadworks are in place on the A11 between Thetford and Attleborough, not to mention the two sets that are already in place on the A14 near Newmarket.  Travelling to Norfolk from some parts of the country over the next few months could be extremely frustrating.

 

All road works are inconvenient to someone whatever time of year but we soon moan if they are not done, there are also ones on the M11 but we cant just pick and choose where and when.

Fred

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

when the alternative is roads full of potholes, and damaged cars, i know which i would choose. at this time of year, wherever road works are, they will be inconvenient.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, OldBerkshireBoy said:

It may have been mentioned already, however I found no roadworks on the A47 this afternoon between Brundall and Easton

The joy starts tonight, apparently:

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/traffic/a47-overnight-roadworks-means-long-diversion-route-7996236?fbclid=IwAR32CwoSG_wQ0_1ACghH-j6xBeQTF-tti9sY1lf1GR8ciNrfIpWplXUlaV0

With the closure of the A11 from Thetford to Attleborough this weekend, it promises to be a grim journey for anyone heading to the Broads from the south and west.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • NBN Mobile App

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

For details of our Guidelines, please take a look at the Terms of Use here.