Road Works 2021

TheQ

7 minutes ago, Mouldy said:

With the closure of the A11 from Thetford to Attleborough this weekend, it promises to be a grim journey for anyone heading to the Broads from the south and west.

will these be daytime closures at thetford,  and when do they start,  have you an update please

We got caught by the A11 closure last weekend. It was unfortunate timing. We were visiting family at the first opportunity of being allowed inside other people’s homes having booked a hotel some weeks ago. Had a lovely time but both our journeys were extended by about one hour, leaving on Saturday and returning on Sunday. Somewhat frustrating. 

In  Wroxham By the Faircraft car park  the pavement has been closed, pedestrians are diverted across the road at the normal lights, so there is a second set at the up hill end of the car park so they can regain he carpark side of the road... Purpose is unknown so far..

Just up hill from that is a collapsed drain cover, very recent, protected by 1 cone nicked from the above. It's not just dropped a bit, it's gone into the depths. Expect absolute chaos when they do the repairs which I guess will be very urgent.

• Thanks 1

Chaos indeed 2 sets of temporary lights in 100 yards Wroxham side of the bridge, big tail backs at the moment hope they clear them later before the bank holiday traffic really kicks in ! 

John 

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Roadworks signs on the NDR at the Wroxham road roundabout and the Coltishall road roundabouts. Both indicating works from the 19th on the NDR..

....and about to start digging up the Boundary too. Options to get to the airport reduced for me in the mornings. Maybe go via Coltishall and do some boat spotting.

52 minutes ago, TheQ said:

Roadworks signs on the NDR at the Wroxham road roundabout and the Coltishall road roundabouts. Both indicating works from the 19th on the NDR..

Couldn’t plan it better if they tried.  Roadworks on both the A47 and the NDR.  P*ss up and brewery spring to mind!! 😖

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The good news is that the work on the A47 seems to have been completed. The bad news is that, on the Bizzaroland of the NDR, new horrors are in play. They seem to be doing something to the road surface, although why work should be needed so soon after the road was built, I don't know. The outer lane has been coned off to traffic and vehicles on the inner lane are restricted to 10mph, which seems to be enforced by a kind of convoy system.  How this will play in peak travel periods during the busiest time of the year with hundreds of "staycation" travellers about remains to be seen.

This, together with closures for re-surfacing large sections of the A12, central reservation "improvements" on the A14 and the reinstatement of Operation Brock for those using the M20 make me wonder whether there is an official policy of making national road travel as difficult as possible this Summer.  Convention in the past was to clear away as many roadworks as possible during the school  holiday period. This is clearly no longer the case. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Wow! That must have been really frustrating. 

Extremely so! But then when we came home yesterday there was hardly any trace of the contraflow or any kind of roadworks! As someone already said, why can't they prepare for busy weekends when the schools pack up? It wouldn't have taken a super human effort to clear up by Friday morning if they were that close to finishing the job. I guess they were waiting for the man from the council to sign it off or something...

Having just been along the A47, please be aware there are still  some night time closures at the Eastern end. I think they are mainly finishing off but westbound from 9pm it is shut tonight for example between Brundall McDonalds to the A146 at Trowse.

Nearly there although minor holdups on the NDR as they spray on something or other during the day - the road is not closed whilst they do this but down to single lane working. Less relevant now the southern bypass seems fully open during normal hours.

• Thanks 3

The Long running road works By the Church in Hoveton for the new housing estate have finally gone.

I note there is a drain cover slowly collapsing on the Norwich bound side just up hill from the car park . It's been covered in paint marks which suggests action soon.  

Also the same direction just over the railway bridge another drain cover is collapsing , so far with no markings on it..

• 1 month later...

For anyone intending to use the A14 Newmarket byepass this coming Bank Holiday weekend, the barrier replacement works involving a 50 mph limit are still there. There were two sections of 50 mph, one for the barrier and the other for a bridge repair but things have moved on and now the two are merged into one section. I would avoid today if possible.

Sorry if this is a bit late but I only came home late last night.

From Tuesday for those of you who wish to go to the big bad Metropolis that is Norwich, Grapes Hill roundabout is closed for the duration, I believe 3 Months!!

Details here..

https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/-/media/norfolk/downloads/roads-and-transport/public-information-notices/norwich-grapes-hill-cleveland-road-improvements-31-aug-to-end-nov-2021.pdf

23 minutes ago, TheQ said:

From Tuesday for those of you who wish to go to the big bad Metropolis that is Norwich, Grapes Hill roundabout is closed for the duration, I believe 3 Months!!

Details here..

https://www.norfolk.gov.uk/-/media/norfolk/downloads/roads-and-transport/public-information-notices/norwich-grapes-hill-cleveland-road-improvements-31-aug-to-end-nov-2021.pdf

Another reason not to go to the City. They have almost totally lost my custom over the last few years due to their obvious anti car policy

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

With the great train service and buses into Norwich I can only see the need to go into the City to visit supermarkets by car, most other times public transport should fill most needs.

And most supermarkets have large car parks. 

As a foreigner I have noticed railway stations being kept open in the middle of no-where which may, in other areas be closed. Just yesterday before coming home I visited Buckenham station (just to check out the car park for future walking visits) and wondered how much the station itself gets used.