Bilge Pumps

I'm trying to expand my knowledge a little, and I've been browsing boats as I often do.

I've noticed one a couple that they seem to have a manual bilge pump. Is it normal for a boat to have both a manual bilge pump and an electric one? Or is it likely that the boat with a manual pump will not have an electric one. Or it may be that the manual pump (pictured below) isn't actually a bilge pump at all.

Apologies for a very general question, and I understand if there's not an easy answer (which I'm sort of expecting!) but I'm eager to learn more about boats and their systems and now seems as good a time as any! 

The pump in question:

bilge pump.JPG

As an aside, when I fitted mine, I teed it into the existing discharge line from the electric pump, then couldn't fathom why it wasn't pumping overboard. Of course, you need a non-return valve on the outlet from the electric pump, otherwise you just re-circulate water back through there. I decided a y-diverter valve was a better solution, so that was my arrangement.

• Thanks 1

Hi It has to have a fixed electric pump,  a hand operated fixed pump and depending on size of boat a portable pump usely a electric one this is to conform with the CE desertification i went through all this when i registered my new build you should also have a sign saying how many people along with luggage weight prominently fixed along with two certificate no plates one prominently and one hidden often under the battery, i guess your boat is less than ten years old. now we are out of EU this will still be required so you can sell your boat if it doesn't have a registration you cant sell it fr five years. John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1