Dereham To Norwich By Train

NorfolkNog

Not strictly Broads related but an interesting old film - don't think its been posted on here before. 

I assume part of the journey is along what is now the Mid Norfolk Railway. There is a Broads link though because if you look quickly at the end there is a snippet of the river and a few boats - probably taken from Foundry Bridge. 

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-threat-of-closure-1968-online

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

It's a Virtual private Network. Instead of browsing on Chrome (for instance), which notes you IP address and therefore your location, you use a VPN service to choose where the site in question thinks you're based. So The VPN service will have locations across the world. If you're based in France, then you choose a UK location, and any content available to us in UK, will be viewable. 

Normally, you will pay around £35 to £45 per annum to access a VPN's services. Vaughan might want to try Opera - just another browser like Chrome - which comes with a free limited VPN. Not sure if it will work, but it does say you can choose your location.....and it's free. Doesn't always work as some sites will note the VPN's IP addresses and disallow them. But it's definitely worth a try.

Full details here:
https://www.opera.com/features/free-vpn

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I've always thought Norwich to be a great "destination" terminus station, ever since my personal involvement with the city began. I'd holidayed with my parents throughout the 1970's and early 1980's and had visited Norwich by boat a few times. When I left university I had no idea what I wanted to do so took a temporary job in a brewery in Nottinghamshire, working in the racking cellar. The work was backbreaking but the money was good, especially for a broke 21 year old. My then girlfriend had graduated and taken a job with Norwich Union as a graduate accountant and had moved to Norwich, living in a bed-sit on Stafford Sreeet, off the Earlham Road. I would finish work on a Friday at about 1.30pm and cycle back to my parents, have a strip wash and then catch the bus into Nottingham, to catch the late afternoon service to Norwich via Ely. I can remember the stations between Ely and Norwich now (Brandon > Thetford > Harling Road > Eccles Road > Attleborough > Spooner Row > Wymondham > Norwich) as though it was yesterday and not nearly 35 years ago. You knew when you'd arrived in Norwich, the station was (and still is) a magnificent building. 

I've often travelled the first part of my route in recent years, to Ely, then changing for Cambridge and Bishops Stortford, as an alternative to Nottingham to London and then back out again. 

Enduring another snowy working from home day, I've realised I need to add the journey to Norwich onto my "to do" list for when all this is all over...

• Like 5

On 14/01/2021 at 11:38, chrisdobson45 said:

I've always thought Norwich to be a great "destination" terminus station, 

You wouldn't think that if you just made the last train out of Liverpool St. for Ipswich, drink having been taken in Dirty Dicks, only to be woken up by a cleaner at the end of the line! I had a few of those T shirts back when I was young and foolish 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stumpy said:

You wouldn't think that if you just made the last train out of Liverpool St. for Ipswich, drink having been taken in Dirty Dicks, only to be woken up by a cleaner at the end of the line! I had a few of those T shirts back when I was young and foolish 😁

My sister was a nurse in the RAF and used to finish the final night shift of seven at RAF Hospital Ely and then go straight to the train station and catch the train to Nottingham, to spend a few days at our parents. She would catch the Harwich Boat Train at about 8.15am and find an empty compartment, set an alarm clock and grab an hours sleep before arriving in Nottingham. Once afternoon she woke up with a start, finding herself on board an empty train at Liverpool Lime Street. Someone had stolen her alarm clock and she had slept all the way through Nottingham & Manchester...

• Haha 2