Abundance Of Fish

Andrewcook

As to all of us not able to do any  Fishing at this time will there be abundance of fish in the Broads such as Perch / Pike / Bream / Roach / Rudd and possibility of a few more Carp and Tench in 2021 but will the Close  Season still be in place? One other question why is there any Trout in the Broads?

58 minutes ago, Andrewcook said:

One other question why is there any Trout in the Broads?

There is an annual run of sea-trout on the Yare every spring but I can only guess why, perhaps it's down to nature! We get a few on the Waveney but whether they are sea-trout that have turned left rather than right on Breydon I don't know. I'm not convinced that the Waveney has a regular run. What we do get on the Waveney are trout that I'm told have been washed out of fisheries at Bungay during floods. You will need a game licence if you are going after those sea-trout during the coarse fishing close season but it's generally worth it.

There are barbel on the Upper Wensum so theoretically they could find their way down to the Yare. I have questioned the Environment Agency fisheries team at Norwich and they tell me that the general Broads environment is not suited to barbel. As for bleak, I've fished for them at Penton Hook on the Thames. Not sure that a plague of the pesky things would be welcome on the Broads though! I can only guess that the Broads is also unsuited to bleak. Apparently barbel were introduced to the Broads many years ago but there was no evidence that they ever bred. 

As JM says there are Barbel in the upper Wensum particularly around the Taverham Mill area but most of the Broads rivers are unsuitable for them, Chub are also only found in a few locations, all river systems are different and have predominant species and some species that are not native, as for Bleak they went into decline many years ago but I wouldn`t want to go back to the days where it took 25-30lb of them to win a match in some places.

Fred

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rightsaidfred said:

as for Bleak they went into decline many years ago but I wouldn`t want to go back to the days where it took 25-30lb

25lb of bleak, WOW! I joined a friend for a fun day's bleak fishing, we caught literally hundreds of the wee beasties between us but I doubt that we were anywhere near 20lbs. 

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I was speaking this evening to a man who knows about these things and he told me that there are now a number of cat-fish on the Broads, he's personally had an 86 pounder. I have also heard of two others at over 100lbs. 

Good grief. Remind me not to stick my toe in the water! :default_icon_e_surprised:

Cat Fish.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

25lb of bleak, WOW! I joined a friend for a fun day's bleak fishing, we caught literally hundreds of the wee beasties between us but I doubt that we were anywhere near 20lbs. 

Not fun fishing just real hard work anything up to a dozen on the same maggot with keepnet tied round your waste and greased line, they were so prolific at one time on parts of the Lea you couldn't get through them in a match  context.

Fred