Snow

Andrewcook

2 hours ago, Puddleduck2 said:

Its surprising how many wooden tops are left out with no covers. False economy!

Not necessarily.  I have found that if your paint and varnish are in good condition, they will survive the freezing.  If your varnish was already weathered, then the water gets under it and freezes it off.  In which case, it needed stripping off and re-doing anyway!  One of the joys of classic boats.

At least with no overall cover, there is plenty of ventilation through the boat.

To cover or not to cover, has always been the question!

I don't think it has snowed that much, about one inch in our garden. It's been a few hours of light snow so far, blown around a bit in the breeze, but definitely not a blizzard or even pucker large snowflakes.

Took this earlier but it's not changed a lot.

IMG_1740.JPG

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

You may be surprised to find it has actually snowed on boats before and they were fine, it may be white and fluffy but it's just rain that got a bit colder, and we've all done rain before....

:default_tongue:

</sarcasm mode off>

I was told that all the hire fleets had to replace any boats they had, which had got snowed on. It was this that kept the boatbuilding industry in business, and that it has been the succession of mild winters that has caused so much damage to the Norfolk boat builders.

</sarcasm mode firmly on overdrive/>

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

Not necessarily.  I have found that if your paint and varnish are in good condition, they will survive the freezing.  If your varnish was already weathered, then the water gets under it and freezes it off.  In which case, it needed stripping off and re-doing anyway!  One of the joys of classic boats.

At least with no overall cover, there is plenty of ventilation through the boat.

To cover or not to cover, has always been the question!

Or to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune (Sorry just being silly I'm so bored sat here)

• Like 1

well 7am the snow started here, 7.45 it was raining, by the time i went to do my shopping, not a trace was left. though my car needed a jump start to get it going. after shopping i called into halfords and acquired a new battery with 5 year warranty. this will be fitted once it stops raining long enough, currently its being topped up to full charge.