Thorpe Pub Fire

JennyMorgan

47 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

One from Vaughan's formative years?

I have no memories whatever of that place! It used to be a frightful dive.  Even my father wouldn't go in it and that's saying something!

Its big attraction to developers is that it has a back garden the size of a field, but planning for houses has been a problem as there is always pressure to keep it as a pub.

So as Smoggy says, this may come as no surprise . . . 

• Like 2

Careful folks, I got modded once for suggeting that! :default_icon_e_surprised:

Although there was a similar fire in the area recently, old school I think. 

But sadly it's amazing how many 'awkward' buildings mysteriously seem to catch fire......

(usually the day after they are listed or an ACV is approved) 

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

That was my old prep school. Beech Hill House, then Langley Junior School, which merged with Taverham Hall a few years ago. Now owned by a developer and now sure enough, about to be demolished as it is now "insecure" from vandalism.

The same sort of thing happened to Thorpe Old Hall when Jenners closed down.

It seems that  "vandalism" can be convenient sometimes.

• Like 4

Of course this is completely unrelated to the above but a pub quite close to me had been closed for a few years awaiting planning permission.....  Some locals may have been a tad suspicious and the below appeared on the hoardings.

92858119-C515-4055-BBC7-67C42AE33A74.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

That was my old prep school. Beech Hill House, then Langley Junior School, which merged with Taverham Hall a few years ago. Now owned by a developer and now sure enough, about to be demolished as it is now "insecure" from vandalism.

The same sort of thing happened to Thorpe Old Hall when Jenners closed down.

It seems that  "vandalism" can be convenient sometimes.

Pinebanks is yet another example Vaughan.  The arsonist of our heritage, the very heart of Thorpe St Andrew seems to have been ripped away by so many. Without a care or consideration. 

I once read that the people from Norwich would travel to the River Green. By boat, a steamer type boat. Or a tram, to the pub called the Redan. (sounds poetic, and it was)

I can remember  that immaculate line of moored Hearts cruisers, the pride of the village green with its hanging baskets. Indeed the festival days, the slippery pole across rhe River. Nobby Clark, Nutty Slack, The people, oh! the people,  the music, the crowds. The boats bedecked with flags. Carnival day Festival Day.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:
3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

That was my old prep school. Beech Hill House, then Langley Junior School, which merged with Taverham Hall a few years ago. Now owned by a developer and now sure enough, about to be demolished as it is now "insecure" from vandalism

My old prep school too.....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have been expecting this building to be torched for months and months. 

I am told that part of the building is listed which makes it very hard to redevelop it. Unless, it's ash, of course. 

Today's fire is thought by the police to be arson: no doodoo sherlock.

It also looks like the fire was put out quite quickly; lots of smoke but few visible flames. 

The owners will be gutted if the pub hasn't been, allegedly. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Wussername said:

Pinebanks is yet another example Vaughan. 

I was going to mention Pinebanks.  A very large house, with a tall brick and stone tower known as Jarrolds Tower, which was very prominent on the skyline and was said to be a folly, built so that the Jarrolds could see the sea.

That got demolished by the developers as well, after it had been "rendered unsafe" by "vandalism".

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On a more positive note I think I read that the Iron Duke at North Denes is being saved for some alternative use. Now I know nostalgia isn’t what it used to be, or maybe it is, so many of that era have gone, even if not a pub it’s nice to save the building as before you know it they’ve all gone and all people do is remember... for a while at least, except when the memory dies with them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I have no memories whatever of that place! It used to be a frightful dive.  Even my father wouldn't go in it and that's saying something!

Back in time I remember it as a bikers pub, later it allegedly hired rooms by the half hour, presumably to folk who liked to take a cat-nap! 

• Haha 1

The pub is owned by one of the Pub Co's - can't remember which one. All too familiar story unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, Turnoar said:

On a more positive note I think I read that the Iron Duke at North Denes is being saved for some alternative use.

My understanding is that a group have got hold of it and hope to bring it back to use. I think eventually GY council have been prodded into action. As I understand it it had been acquired by Bourne Leisure who also own the adjacent camp. They played dog in the manger - refused to sell it as they didn't want it to compete with the bar on their camp. i think they bowed under pressure eventually. Its a miracle that wasn't torched either. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Back in time I remember it as a bikers pub, later it allegedly hired rooms by the half hour, presumably to folk who liked to take a cat-nap! 

I asked the Nuns to explain this to me but they refused. However, one of the older ones commented that in her experience, half an hour was not nearly long enough??? :default_icon_neutral: ........ :facepalm:

16 hours ago, Turnoar said:

On a more positive note I think I read that the Iron Duke at North Denes is being saved for some alternative use. Now I know nostalgia isn’t what it used to be, or maybe it is, so many of that era have gone, even if not a pub it’s nice to save the building as before you know it they’ve all gone and all people do is remember... for a while at least, except when the memory dies with them.

I drove past it last September on a bit of a detour from Burgh Castle up or Ormesby St Margeret (for the Smokehouse, good food) and remember what a wonderfully striking building it was.

Around here old buildings don't have to be torched, the council are only too happy to see buildings torn down if it keeps the uni and students' landlords happy :default_2gunsfiring_v1:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Interestingly, the Griffin is just within the BA planning area whereas the Buck, on the north side of the Yarmouth Rd, is not.

Definitely in Broadland There is an application in early Dec 2020 for demolition with BA as neighbour & Parish Council having no objection. Should it go to Committee it can be viewed on YouTube

• Like 1