Thorpe Pub Fire

JennyMorgan

A quick look on Google satellite and you can see just how much land goes with the pub.  And the building is sitting right in the middle of it.  Now if that were not there . . . . .

Go west a bit and have a look at the old Langley School, directly north of Thorpe Old Hall.  Just look at how much land would be available there, almost right down to the Yarmouth rd and with panoramic views over the Yare valley.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

A quick look on Google satellite and you can see just how much land goes with the pub.  And the building is sitting right in the middle of it.  Now if that were not there . . . . .

Go west a bit and have a look at the old Langley School, directly north of Thorpe Old Hall.  Just look at how much land would be available there, almost right down to the Yarmouth rd and with panoramic views over the Yare valley.

A lot of the school site is pretty steep, from recollection...

4 hours ago, FreedomBoatingHols said:

A lot of land around there is pretty "steep", unless its a disputed mooring basin that has objections from locals, in which case, it can go for a song. 

I was actually referring to it's topography but I know what you mean...😲

Another 'Griff-Inn' bites the dust

Despite the pub having 'Our' name on it. I can't ever remember visiting the place, perhaps my Dad did in the 50/60's

There was a pub a few miles away from me up here at 'Drakeholes'  by a canal.  For years it was called the White Swan and was of course referred to as the Mucky Duck.  It survived and was popular but basic.

Then came along a retired builder who we knew.  He bought the freehold, spent a fortune on it, took it up market and renamed it the  'Griff-Inn'   His surname being Griffiths (Paupers version of the more Royal 'Griffin' of course).  It did well for a while but once the novelty factor wore off it inevitably shut and has been closed for years n years.  Such a shame

Griff

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

I see in the EDP this morning that the council have approved an application to demolish the pub.

That didn't take long, did it?

Here is the Planning Officers report (It was getting close to decision time anyway)

https://secure.broadland.gov.uk/MVM.DMS/Planning Application/762000/762660/20202264 2021_01_20 Delegated report.pdf

• Thanks 1

I notice that the NCC Ecologist has stipulated that the rest of the site must not be disturbed as "there may be reptiles".

So the Great Crested Newt may win the day in the end, as it has many times before!  All they need to find is a colony of Little Whirlpool Ramshorn Snails and that will be the end of it.  They can hold up the development for even longer than they have managed to delay improvements to the Acle Straight.

• Like 1

a lot of things can stand in the way of new development, for example the eurolink high speed train link was moved to avoid a substation the planners had decided to build through, this was a primary substation supplying half of kent, and the 4 transformers were on a 12 year build program, in the end the rail link went to one side, passing under the A2 at that point, despite this they had to divert the feeders that passed under the A2 in a cable tunnel, digging them even deeper, i believe the cost of just the cable to do this exceeded 6 million, and that was the cheap option.

2 hours ago, grendel said:

maybe even a pygmy shrew or two, when they were building a road nearby my uncles home a rare pygmy shrew was found in the hedgerow, this moved the new road 50m further from his property.

Did your uncle take the shrews back to the pet shop afterwards?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2