Suggestions On Captains Rules

Andrewcook

As to 2020 was not a good Year with Very Bad Boating  incident's either with Private / Hiring  or Syndicate's. Can theses River Rules be tighten up such as Captains sighing enteree Log compulsory as to taking over Boats each time and being solely in charge of it's Crews Safety but make a pleasant where ever on the Broads as I do hope it will be accident free for this 2021 season if and  when we all are on the Broads once again ? 

7 hours ago, CambridgeCabby said:

No amount of paperwork will prevent Darwin’s Law .

Completely agree with this. I work in a highly regulated industry where health & safety is priority, yet in the last 30 odd years I've experienced serious accidents, due to either acts or non-acts of individuals, putting themselves or colleagues at significant risk.

I've been involved in numerous personal & behavioural health & safety initiatives, some borrowed from the petro-chem industry, some developed for my industry, but all costing many hundreds of thousands of pounds, and the findings were generally the same, companies can always do better but there are some people with little or no regard for their own actions and the consequences thereof. There are some people who will put themselves and others at significant risk, and no amount of legislation, education, instruction will change that. I was involved in a serious accident some years ago in Boston, Lincolnshire, this was investigated to the nth degree by the HSE and the H&S Department of one of UK's (and worlds) largest civil engineering contractors. My employer was prosecuted under the H&S at Work Act and other related regulations. We pleaded guilty, as one of our most experienced supervisors was injured and lost his left leg. Having been fined a significant amount and paid even more significant damages, the senior inspector for the HSE remarked that in future we should consider not employing "stupid". 

I am all for companies having robust measures in place to protect employees, customers, etc. Companies with little or no regard for H&S need closing down. However, people need to take responsibility for their own actions, something that this current bloody Covid lockdown situation has demonstrated. 

Sorry, rant over...

• Like 2

You can institute as many rules, regulations, checks and balances as you want. You can legislate for this and that. You can apply stiff penalties for those who contravene those rules...

But you will never stop idiots from chinning all of it off and doing as they please. You can't legislate for stupid, and as has been said so many time before "build something idiotproof and they'll just build a better idiot".

I think the yards could possibly do more. In many years holidaying on the Broads there have always been two yards that stick out to me as having customers who go everywhere at full chat (in a cloud of diesel smoke), generally making a nuisance of themselves and are generally unpleasant to be around. Not all their customers I hasten to add, but what I would argue is a statistically significant amount of them. I'll not name the two yards.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

No need!!!:default_laugh:

:8_laughing:

I thought it safer not to. At the end of the day, they're only my observations, but one of them is the only yard whose customers I've seen jettisoning bags of crap (and their mop and bucket for some reason) into the water at Gaye's before turning round and hitting full throttle on their way out.

• Sad 1