Through Great Yarmouth at High Water?

NorfolkNog

Hi All

Can anyone help with some advice please?

We are already planning a trip out in December but looking at the tide tables the transit through Great Yarmouth is not looking favourable. As daylight hours are very restricted in December, slack water falls during hours of darkness.

I usually ain to hit GY about 1 – 2 hours after slack water, depending on direction i.e. N – S or S – N.

However my question is – what would be the chances of getting under the bridges say two or three hours either side of high water?

The other problem is the tides, particularly the ebb down the Bure which flows very fast particularly near low water.

As the rangers only work in season it wouldn’t be possible to telephone to ask for the clearance so we would have to take a chance on arrival.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

cheersbar

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. Air draft probably very similar to your own as I would be looking at a forward drive Alpha, around 6' 9" possibly??

Phone number is very usefull, is the Yarmouth control staffed all year round?? That could be the answer as it could avoid an abortive trip across Breydon!

cheers

cheersbar

Hi Rod

That’s very useful advice, many thanks. I am guessing around 6’ 9†although I think that boatyards (understandably) add a bit on the plates just to be on the safe side.

It sounds as if passage is certainly feasible. I’ve been through several times in December and even moored at the Yacht station :naughty: never seen sight nor sniff of a Ranger so sounds like you are right, they probably disappear around the end of October.

I’ll keep an eye on the wind too although we’ve been very lucky with the weather, even last year in the snow!

Looking forward to it already!

cheersbarcheersbar