Cars To Be Banned From The Broads?

JennyMorgan

52 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

There is supposed to be one now, but it doesn't seem to have any teeth.

A lack of interest or even understanding perhaps.

Got to admit I don't always understand the wonderful world of caravanning afloat, or is it weekend cottages afloat? Whatever, it is a valid use of the Broads enjoyed by many thousands of folk who have no pretensions nor interest in emulating Joshua Slocum. 

Praise for the BA though, the need for casual moorings and the requirement for electricity is obviously well understood. Actually I don't think that motor boaters do to badly!

• Like 1

On 23/01/2021 at 18:34, Cheesey69 said:

Walk a tight line here.

Once again, lose the public interest and you can kiss goodbye to public grants and protection.

Land grab time by those who see the countryside as a painting by Constable.

Cant help feeling the BA was lobbied by the canoe and paddle board section as to the November exclusion to motorboaters. 

Other than the odd comment on Facebook by paddlers themselves there has not been any lobbying from paddle sports organisations to the Broads Authority through any of the lockdowns as far as I am aware.

As one of the team responsible for publishing messages from the BA (both COVID-related and not) I can say for certain the reason that paddling was 'allowed' in our guidance was because it clearly fitted the Government's definition of exercise (which was/is a reasonable excuse to leave home).

Tom

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

Sorry, should add as relevant to this thread - I am not aware of any such discussions around cars and the Broads. I'd be very surprised if any bans came into effect in any of the National Parks family any time soon due to the lack of public transport infrastructure these rural areas.

We work with public transport providers like Greater Anglia/First Bus to promote the public transport options when visiting the Broads/Norfolk/Suffolk, however other than going by water, unfortunately much of the area is still only really accessible by car.

(Or bike if you are feeling energetic, or foot if you have a lot of time to spare!)
Tom

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

5 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Sorry, should add as relevant to this thread - I am not aware of any such discussions around cars and the Broads. I'd be very surprised if any bans came into effect in any of the National Parks family any time soon due to the lack of public transport infrastructure these rural areas.

Having been to Snowdon & The Peak District during normal times and witnessed the usual pedestrian congestion, akin to sale day at Primark, and then seen the pictures of last summers crowds on the coast, I can well understand the emerging concerns.  The millions that normally go abroad are staying at home, crowds are inevitable! I was out in the garden yesterday and, without counting, I'm sure that two hundred plus walked, cycled or jogged along my footpath. In normal times I'd expect to see a dozen or so on a pleasant Sunday. 

Building a seasonal public transport infrastructure must surely be a consideration, lots of school buses available at peak times. The BA has worked hard at encouraging boats to come South with it's safety work on Breydon, not sure that that has worked but it is not for the lack of trying. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JennyMorgan said:

The BA has worked hard at encouraging boats to come South with it's safety work on Breydon, not sure that that has worked but it is not for the lack of trying. 

Not wising to hijack the thread, but I was surprised last summer at how quiet it was down south. But then when you speak to other people on moorings up north, they all seem so scared by Breydon, and that's a sentiment that's echoed on the numerous Facebook groups. The way people ask about crossing Breydon, and some of the dreadful responses they get from "experienced" boaters, you'd think crossing Breydon was akin to crossing the Atlantic on a paddleboard. It's a shame that with all the work that's gone in to the area that it's being scuppered, at least in part, by people who seem to want to make crossing BW appear dangerous and only to be attempted by those 'in the know'. 

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, BroadsAuthority said:

Sorry, should add as relevant to this thread - I am not aware of any such discussions around cars and the Broads.

And I doubt you ever will. For me, the original article this thread is about, has no more credibility than an attention seeking social media rant. Click bait yes, but a shame that these days publishers stoop low to expose us to yet more advertising.

• Like 1

I think it was all about "discussions" Every business looks at all kinds of options and ideas, thats part of the process of management. Just because it was mentioned doesn't mean it was anything other than an idea being tossed around and probably helped by that weeks Countryfile bit about the Cheddar Gorge.

As has been said its not going to happen, certainly not here as its logistically impossible. Cheddar Gorge is slightly different as are little bits elsewhere, but across the board, never!

• Thanks 1

As for being scared of Breydon, a situation not helped, perhaps, by our attention being drawn to notices about safety measures that are taking place. Perhaps that, unavoidably and unintentionally, has helped strengthen the myth? Something of a can't win situation for the Authority.

At one time crossing Breydon was a must, an adventure in the holiday itinerary. If you ran aground it would pretty soon become a family legend but for most of us its a remarkably straight forward event and well worth the effort.    

• Like 6

I do think a lot of the fear of Breydon comes from social media. Every time I see someone asking about crossing on one of the many Facebook groups you know it's only a matter of time before someone comes along to and puts the fear of God into the person asking the question. I've never seen the problem myself. Get the timings roughly right and stay in the marked channel, it's not hard is it? I'm sure some of those who bang on about how it's a serious and dangerous undertaking do so only to inflate their own ego.

Either that or it's just to keep the south quieter :default_norty:

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

I do think a lot of the fear of Breydon comes from social media. Every time I see someone asking about crossing on one of the many Facebook groups you know it's only a matter of time before someone comes along to and puts the fear of God into the person asking the question. I've never seen the problem myself. Get the timings roughly right and stay in the marked channel, it's not hard is it? I'm sure some of those who bang on about how it's a serious and dangerous undertaking do so only to inflate their own ego.

It definitely does come from social media, yeah.

Most of us have seen lots and lots of boats stuck on the mud over Breydon or aground on the lower Bure over the years, though, so clearly some do find it difficult.

I think that's what prompts people to urge caution as it's very difficult to judge the experience level of the person asking the question - If they're a first-timer who has never driven a boat before then people will tend to suggest keeping North for a bit to get a feel for the boat before trying a mooring at Reedham, for example.

• Like 3

It is also a matter of the trial run.

It is easy to show someone how to turn round and come in against the tidal current, if you are giving the run at a yard where there is a current in the river, and there are not many of those left now!  If you are in one of Richardsons' basins at the top of the Ant, trying to describe how to moor at Reedham, it's not so easy.

Talking of social media though, there are plenty of videos and blogs available now, which explain what to do very clearly and easily.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MaceSwinger said:

Either that or it's just to keep the south quieter :default_norty:

Ignore the dragons at your peril:default_norty: The only issue is getting the timing right for going under the Yarmouth Bridges about half an hour after slack water. consult the tide table and you will not go wrong.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

Just now, ranworthbreeze said:

Ignore the dragons at your peril:default_norty: The only issue is getting the timing right for going under the Yarmouth Bridges about half an hour after slack water. consult the tide table and you will not go wrong.

Regards

Alan

It's that kraken you need to watch out for...

In all seriousness I did get my timings a bit wrong heading south to north last year (albeit on a mammoth cruise from Loddon to St Benets), so I ended up punching the last of the ebb going through GY. But even in the gutless little hire boat I had I still made it through ok.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

In all seriousness I did get my timings a bit wrong heading south to north last year (albeit on a mammoth cruise from Loddon to St Benets), so I ended up punching the last of the ebb going through GY. But even in the gutless little hire boat I had I still made it through ok.

Well of course the tide tables are only a prediction, so yeah you'll never get it right every time... 

I tend to avoid being much earlier than slack going South>North, but for sure there's quite a bit of leeway North>South unless there's springs that week or the weather has been horrible.

I recall a miscalculation some years back where at full throttle we barely moved until we were up towards Marina Quays. That sort of thing does not do your fuel consumption much good! I'll usually aim for a push up the Bure or down the Waveney, assuming daylight allows it.

15 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

It's that kraken you need to watch out for...

Just now, oldgregg said:

Well of course the tide tables are only a prediction, so yeah you'll never get it right every time... 

I tend to avoid being much earlier than slack going South>North, but for sure there's quite a bit of leeway North>South unless there's springs that week or the weather has been horrible.

I recall a miscalculation some years back where at full throttle we barely moved until we were up towards Marina Quays. That sort of thing does not do your fuel consumption much good!

Worth remembering back in the days of mostly whole week & even 2 week holidays it was easier to fit in crossing and back but with 3 & 4 being popular especially off peak it can be difficult to schedule a Braydon crossing.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I recall a miscalculation some years back where at full throttle we barely moved until we were up towards Marina Quays. That sort of thing does not do your fuel consumption much good! I'll usually aim for a push up the Bure or down the Waveney, assuming daylight allows it.

Oh no, the tide tables I had were right. I used one of the ones that work it out for the dates given, based on actual tide times in the run up, rather than rely on one of the annual ones of the like found on HW's website. The miscalculation was mine entirely, I left Oulton too early. I have my faults, but I can admit when I've flamingoed it up :8_laughing:

3 minutes ago, Bytheriver said:

Worth remembering back in the days of mostly whole week & even 2 week holidays it was easier to fit in crossing and back but with 3 & 4 being popular especially off peak it can be difficult to schedule a Braydon crossing.

Certainly on our week last year it was tide times that dictated when we crossed Breydon. Hence the mad dash from Loddon to St Benets (via Oulton Broad) only the day after picking up at Brundall. Anything less than a week and I doubt I'd look to cross Breydon at all.

I must admit using the tide tables on 'the other website', as they give low water times, handy for Yarmouth and bridges. I print off the whole year, setting 60 days per page. It avoids any miscalculation and I find them very good. http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/tide_report.asp?StartDate=25/01/2021&lines=7 

14 minutes ago, PaulN said:

I must admit using the tide tables on 'the other website', as they give low water times, handy for Yarmouth and bridges. I print off the whole year, setting 60 days per page. It avoids any miscalculation and I find them very good. http://www.norfolk-broads.org/tides/tide_report.asp?StartDate=25/01/2021&lines=7 

I always use the Broads Authorly tide tables because they also predict the height of the low water, a must if your boat has a bigger air draft.

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

I have memories of making the North to South crossing in the Freeman 22 we owned around 20 years ago. I must have got the timing slightly wrong because water was flowing down the Bure as though someone had pulled the plug out. It was quite disconcerting at first, being carried along with not a lot by way of steerage, all I was able to do was keep the nose pointing in the right direction via little blips of high revs on the throttle. I was just pleased that we had cured our dirty fuel problem by then so the engine kept going.

• Like 1