Boat market

baz1033

There is a lot of discussion about this in the states at the moment, there is an article in our trade mag which seems to indicate it's picking up a bit over there too, also Rachel just brought me back some mags from US which reinforce that, but then again I guess they are hardly going to spread doom and gloom so need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I'm not so sure about the 'pinch of salt' bit to be honest David. Journalists, whatever the trade love to spread bad news - so this must be seen as a positive.

Obviously there are different types of boat buyer, but those with some money in the bank, or even need to borrow to buy - at the current interest rates (whether savings or borrowing) make sense to purchase now. Money in the bank is not earning, and some of the deals available on finance are the lowest they've been for many a year. Of course the restrictions on borrowing have become harder, but it is available....

It would be interesting to see a ratio of second hand boats to new boats and how the two have fluctuated over the last three or four years. I would presume both sectors flattened, then second hand boats have moved up a few notches over the last six months or so. New boats - I wouldn't like to hazard a guess but according to the manufacturers it does seem positive - but as you say, this is the bit I would take with a pinch of salt. End of year accounts will be interesting !!

I'm not so sure about the 'pinch of salt' bit to be honest David. Journalists, whatever the trade love to spread bad news - so this must be seen as a positive.

Not if it's going upset their advertisers and subscrber base Luke , I was a technical writer on Fishing News and the battles I had with the ad Director over some of the more "robust" stuff I wrote were hard work and quite a bit gets spiked, :grin: Newspaper journalists are another matter but most consumer mags are advertiser lead. :naughty:

No Question there are boats selling and there are a shortage of boats, thanks to the week pound enticing the Scandinavians in to plunder our brokerage stock but a fair few boats I have tried to buy over the last 6 months are still on the market, I guess one day the offers may meet the money they are asking but if they are trading up they will lose out on the deal, due to the increased price of the boat they are buying, and if they are trading out I would think the cost of keeping the boat will exceed what they eventually gain by waiting.

If NYA and the other Brokers I have been talking to were selling as many boats as they are claiming there would either not be any boats left or every boat in the basin would be 15' long .

If NYA and the other Brokers I have been talking to were selling as many boats as they are claiming there would either not be any boats left or every boat in the basin would be 15' long .

I concur with that Ian.

It is a known sales ploy to put products such as this under offer in an effort to get someone who perhaps has been hanging their nose over a particular boat (in this case) to make the move before they miss out. Many of the craft for sale on the site mentioned have been there ages.

I concur with that Ian.

It is a known sales ploy to put products such as this under offer in an effort to get someone who perhaps has been hanging their nose over a particular boat (in this case) to make the move before they miss out. Many of the craft for sale on the site mentioned have been there ages.

I look on NYA quite a bit and the way I see it is that they have had some boats for a while and they are still unsold mostly but the boats that are ariving now and since october are flying out by the look of it. our friends boat (leopard a birchwood 37) has sold with no trouble full asking as well.

I think people have got a bit of confidence back

I have to say that NYA had a very good year last year, we drove past every week and saw another boat sold and I haven't known NYA to pput 'under offer' on a boat without taking a depo! A big part of this definitely comes down to personality and they are good at what they do - especially in Brundall, however, as has been mentioned elsewhere, they have been let down by their maintenance organisation on a number of occasions.

Its a great time to buy, as Luke mentions, finance is cheap, and so are boats, trading approx 25% cheaper than just a couple of years ago - the only thing that has got expensive is the running costs!!!

.......Thats why ive taken the engines out and the legs off while you've been away-Got some nice tight fitting rubber seals for your legs to fit through-couple of energy drinks and off we go!! Much more cost effective!! :naughty::naughty:

I dont say Im a good swimmer-others told you!!

But if you insist-you tell me how far it is and make it worth my while and i will swim that distance-in a pool tho-dont fancy dodging floaty bits in the sea, its too flippin cold and i'd probably end up fighting the tidal stream and going backwards!! Much to your amusement!!

LeCruiset????