A New Week in May

Hi peeps well another great week on the Broads coutesy of Martham Boats Judith 3 the tale begins............

we rise early and set off at just gone 4am after finishing loading the car as we cheated and part did it the night before a very uneventfull journey down got a couple of pics of the sun rising looking like a ball of fire glowing in the sky burning its way through the clouds as we stopped and had coffee from the flask near Kings Lynn temp reading 7.5deg outside so we get underway again and drive through wroxham over the bridge at about 7am and on to Huggies at Stalham for breakfast at 7.30 which was excellent after breaky we go to Potters to get final supplies from Lathams 5litres bottled water 99p other bits and pieces and had to wait for them opening at 8.30am for those who dont know they have closed the old cafe inside but opened a new one on the opposite side of the bulilding breakfast is a reasonable cost as we had one here on the sat we came home but beware the small baugette sarnies at 3.95 and 4.15 each nice food you dont mind paying for but getting a bit pricey for what you get springs to mind anyway off to Martham there for 9.10 and judith is ready for us we are loaded car inside £20 ouch and on our way for 9.30 not bad for a usual pick up time of 4pm we get down to potters and the pilot from Martham arrives and takes us under we nmake our way down to the Lion at Thurn Dyke have a nap at the moorings and go in for a lunch at noon .... more to come ill try and post a few of the 80 pics taken

we decide to go for Oulton Broad for the power boat racing Monday the wind is looking a bit dodgey for Braydon but we go and see John Hockham Admiral as we head for yarmouth we don our new self inflating lifejackets drop the screens for the bridges at yarmouth as the water is quite high as we put the screens back up and turn onto Braydon we are glad the wind is behind us as we ride the waves with no problem full throttle all the way over bathtubs making hard waork of it heading to yarmouth and a ranger launch topping the waves and looking very unstable in the conditions over we go left to oulton plents of craft on the water we get to the Yacht Station ok and moor up to the potoons stern on mixed grill at the waveney pub very good as well settle down to a bit of tv then bedpost-130-136713811712_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713811735_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713811748_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713811761_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713811772_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713812038_thumb.jpg

then the fun starts lol i woke up at 4am i thought for a p lol but whats all that noise i look out side to see a bathtub hung up on its mooring port stern and its bows almost under water they had moore tightly and as the tide has dropped the boat was hung up under the bump rubber on the steel piling of the quey there was 20 plus coast guard harbour master and police staff chasing about hanging a long line onto the bows trying to pull the ship round to get her un hooked which they eventually did at about 4.30am as she came off with a bang and within 5 mins they all dissapeared with the hire craft peeps all well awake in the centre cockpit supping tea and coffee lol i diddnt dare take a piccy as im sure the rescue staff wouldent have been impressed at a sudden flash picture being taken but this was the craft that had been hung uppost-130-136713812061_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713812089_thumb.jpg

and still noticably moored at an angle to the quey

great John i hope the weather stays good and everyone has a brill time

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

I remember back in the mid-late 90s we were moored at the quay at Oulton Broad Yacht Station, and looking at one of the Aston Otter class moored next to us with its stern stuck fast on the quay. We went to bed that night and were woken up suddenly at about 1-30am by the boat lifting in the air and settling down immediately. When i looked out of the window, there was the crew getting onboard a floating Aston. They graciously appollogised later that morning.

i forgot to mention we had an evening meal at the Waveney pub which was very good as we rose on the Monday morning everything being ok with the boat accross to a nice cup of tea with bacon and mushroom sarnies but the wind was still quite high making the broad very choppy so we decide to move on as im sure the racing would have been poor in the conditions so we make way for loddonpost-130-136713813461_thumb.jpgpost-130-13671381348_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713813492_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713813504_thumb.jpg

ooops a few pics from earlyerpost-130-136713813776_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713813789_thumb.jpg

a fair few boats about on the run up to reedham as we moor outside the lord nelson and go in to test the water errrrr beer and lunch bit of a limited menu but ok burger and chips it was and a pint a quick in and out at the shop and a chat outside with a couple on a royals boat been coming for 40 years and always with royals sop we say our goodbyes and head off for loddon down the chet a magic river this one we are thinking about mooring at the staith and hoping to get on the end away from the road mainly for a bit of shelter from the wind and we are lucky the end is free so we moor there pity only one mooring post here so we tie to a tree marking the rope well by tieing bits of an orange plastic carryer bag round it so no one falls over the rope we walk down to the shops do a bit of shopping and call in at Rosey Leas to see Caroline who fusses round us again shes a loveley person and we have a cuppa while having a chat with her and the other peeps inside and gain all the local news lol she certainly can chatter and ask what time shes opening for breakfast in the morning 7.30 give or take 10 mins so we say bye and say we will see her fro breakkypost-130-136713814174_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713814201_thumb.jpgpost-130-13671381449_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713814501_thumb.jpg

grrrr my second attempt were up erly and go to Carolines for breakfast at 7.30 but no omg shes not there lol but she arrives on bicyle down the hill and lets us in newspapers in hand and makes us tea and coffee as we read the papers followed by an excellent breakfast with extra toast and drinks we say our goodbyes and leave the tea rooms which we highly recomend we get back to the boat check her over top up the water and set off north up the chet and yare to yarmouth lower the screen to get under the bridges as we are early for low water and pass ok give the rangers a wave at the yacht station and carry on to Stokesby wher we moor in front of a Broom Admiral magnificent woodie she is and talk to the live aboard couple who have a lovely chocolate lab we go for lunch at the pub and enjoy it and the adnams is spot on rinse the 1st with a second and leave lol another stroke of the labrador and we set off for Neatishead we are thinking up the Bure to the Ant and as we aproach how hill we see Lord Paul so we stop and chat for a while we get off to barton broad left to neatishead and find the moorings full as the left hand side is being worked on and are closed so we turn around and head for Stalham staith which is empty moor and have a brew then off to Tescos for suppliespost-130-136713816102_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713816123_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713816383_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713816396_thumb.jpg

glad to hear it bing bong we get back to the boat and i cook lamb chops jersey royals and spring cabbage for tea which went down a treat watch a bit of tv as the reception here is very good and down a couple of cans then off to bed zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

next morning as i lay semi consious lol i hear another boat arrive and moor up i get up and make a brew and listen to the radio to see if theres anything going on in the world then SWMBO gets up so i make bacon and mushroom butties for us both and another brew we tend to use bottled water for drinks and tescos is 95p for 5 litres so not bad lathams its 99p for 5 litres i go for a stroll and see the boat moored is the Broom Admiral from the Ferry at Stokesby and we get chatting again turns out his other half has gone to work from here as a dental nurse and he had to stay onboard..... how depressing not lucky devil the labrador is as fussy as ever April joins us and we get a guided tour of this wonderfull old boat shes a cracker inside very decieving the size of it only fault i had with it was the forward access door/steps were very steep and small but an ideal livaboard even a peek at the engine compartment which was as dry as a bone and sat there a BMC comander magic so we ask if he wants anything from Tescos as we forgot to put lotto on and he says no thanks a quick fuss of the dog again and we go to the shop quite quet in ttescos and we decide to stock for the rest of the week and make our way back to the staithpost-130-136713817055_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713817329_thumb.jpgpost-130-136713817342_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Dave, those last two photo`s are of Martham Ferry, is it still owned by the old hirefleet owners, or do you know whether it was sold to someone else?.

This has been a good tale, and some excellent photo`s. Thanks for posting them cheerscheers .