Lost Broads Pubs

webntweb

1 hour ago, JennyMorgan said:

The Waveney Inn is pretty prominent seen from the river, not sure how anyone could have failed to see it on passing!

Indeed it is/was JM - maybe easier before that big building appeared. However I've only ever been there  once by road and if memory serves it was quite out of the way so could maybe be missed land-wise. 

• Like 1

While on the subject of lost pubs there is an update in the EDP on the former Ferry Boat on King Street, Norwich. It backed onto the river but sadly closed quite a few years ago now. Apparently it is going to be developed providing much needed affordable housing. 

I've an idea that Royall's started life building boats in the shed which you can see in the EDP picture. For some reason it's a pub I didn't ever get to visit. Shame as it put on live music which may have ironically contributed to its demise as I seem to think the residents who had moved into the posh new flats nearby objected to the noise although the pub had been there for 100 years. Looked a lovely pub back in the day. Great shame. 

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/diggers-move-onto-ferry-boat-pub-norwich-7082516

I remember the Railway Tavern and finally visited in May 2006 whilst on Pacific Swift. Clearly I was lucky to get a visit before closure. I know it moved to church road however did the Humpty Dumpty brewery start there. I am assuming it was somewhere round there as the all the beers were rail related?

Neil

• Like 1

Yes, I'm pretty sure it started there. I seem to recall they had a sign down the right hand side of the pub. 

As far as I recall it was under different owners then, the present management took over later, about 20 years ago I think but happy to be proven wrong as always! 

I think the beer festival was held at the Railway for at least one year, happened to be raining that one so nice to be sat inside supping the usual outstanding range of real ales. About 2003 4 ish. I used to tout it to my work mates as a warm up for the Norwich fest!

• Like 1

Bygones, first one is indeed the Bridge at Potter Ham about ten to fifteen years before it went up like a matchbox (wasn’t me playing with them I have an alibi being in Bavaria at the time). By the time I worked the bar there in 89 the Hillman and Consul had gone but the vinyl roof remained under a pink or faded orange Austin Princess! Great local crowd and heaving with holiday makers, never seen broads pubs as busy since if I’m honest. Thanks for posting the pic.

Hadn’t been used for a very long time is one way of putting it. Was condemned I was told by a previous tenant who witnessed it back in use when he popped back one time not long before very last orders were called as opposed to the fire brigade.

Can’t  remember the disco, the front bar wasn’t in use by 89. You must have had A Ruddles County or three and taken a wrong turn into the Broadshaven on your way back to the boat Howard!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

While on the subject of lost pubs there is an update in the EDP on the former Ferry Boat on King Street, Norwich. It backed onto the river but sadly closed quite a few years ago now. Apparently it is going to be developed providing much needed affordable housing. 

I've an idea that Royall's started life building boats in the shed which you can see in the EDP picture. For some reason it's a pub I didn't ever get to visit. Shame as it put on live music which may have ironically contributed to its demise as I seem to think the residents who had moved into the posh new flats nearby objected to the noise although the pub had been there for 100 years. Looked a lovely pub back in the day. Great shame. 

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news/diggers-move-onto-ferry-boat-pub-norwich-7082516

Moored there for a pint or three and lunch sometime in the 80s.

If i remember correctly you could just fit a 42 ft boat in the mooring and there was just a small gap in the wall to access the pub back yard.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

Hadn’t been used for a very long time is one way of putting it. Was condemned I was told by a previous tenant who witnessed it back in use when he popped back one time not long before very last orders were called as opposed to the fire brigade.

Can’t  remember the disco, the front bar wasn’t in use by 89. You must have had A Ruddles County or three and taken a wrong turn into the Broadshaven on your way back to the boat Howard!

I remember going to a 'disco' there in 1963. Don't know if it was called a disco in those days but it was dark inside with flashing lights, noisy, smoky and very crowded. Probably enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Turnoar said:

That photo would have been taken around mid 70's from memory. I think that was the same time as the discos. I used to run one myself so always took a professional interest! 

The beer then would have been the 'orrible Watneys I guess, possibly augmented by Websters Yorkshire bitter which was just as bad. In fact these Broads holidays prompted me to join CAMRA the beer was so dire! The Ruddles which appeared later was a slight improvement. I probably went in the Broadshaven too but can't remember much about it - probably very forgetable! 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NorfolkNog said:

That photo would have been taken around mid 70's from memory. I think that was the same time as the discos. I used to run one myself so always took a professional interest! 

The beer then would have been the 'orrible Watneys I guess, possibly augmented by Websters Yorkshire bitter which was just as bad. In fact these Broads holidays prompted me to join CAMRA the beer was so dire! The Ruddles which appeared later was a slight improvement. I probably went in the Broadshaven too but can't remember much about it - probably very forgetable! 

Seem to remember that Broadshaven felt like a cross between a  Village Hall & a suburban Edinburgh Pub when everything was bolted down (The people I knew north of the border only took me once in daylight as an Londoner after dark would have been not welcome) Broadshaven was just bleak. Oddly the Edinburgh family were on holiday with us &  we also visited the now lost Hotel at Potter  & yes it was busy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I've an idea that Royall's started life building boats in the shed which you can see in the EDP picture.

That’s what I thought - Royalls using the wet shed there - my dad was friendly with the Royalls and we used keep our boat there in the winter. We summered in Horning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Broads01 said:

I don't remember the Railway Tavern at Reedham. Where exactly was it?

Twas opposite the station :default_biggrin:

It wasn't near the river, you had to walk past Sandersons yard and carry on up the hill.  About 10 minutes or so. Longer back. :default_drinks: Happy days.

Edit - the building is still there but its flats now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SteveO said:

I still shed a tear every time I drive past the site of the Black Horse at Hoveton. Great "old school" pub with good beer and interesting food which was definitely not from Brake Brothers.  Their rabbit pie was to die for. 

Good pub indeed. One of the very few selling decent beer back in the day. Very nice drop of Adnams I recall. Another sad loss. 

• Like 2