Lost Broads Pubs

webntweb

3 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I must admit it's a couple of years now since I have been able to get into the Buck. Fabulous pub, pretty much unspolilt and steeped in history. It would be a tragedy if it were lost. 

Yes, nice friendly pub. We were staying at The Town House Hotel, close by, and visited it when they had live music on. A guy and his keyboard, which he set up just before the steps down in the first picture. A good night was had by all!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, oldgregg said:

Nice bit of Colin Facey action there.... 

Yes, we had Meadow Saffron for two weeks.

I think it was her first season as earlier in the holiday we had taken her up to Coltishall and the canopy came off its runners.

When the boatyard guy turned up he asked if, on the walk round, had nobody told us not to go through Wroxham (no pilot in those days), as it was the wrong canopy and sat a little higher. It seems it was a canopy off the 35ft version as they hadn't moulded the 42ft canopy in time and they had bookings to fulfil.

51 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Look's like you're moored at the side of Brooms fuel hut there. Always my favourite mooring spot in Brundall - facing the river at the end of the quay.

It is. When we had a share in Lightning we moored the other side of the fuel hut for a couple of seasons. Also on Winding Down we were moored on the next quay upriver (opposite the Riverside Stores). I agree both are really good moorings to sit watching the wildlife and river traffic plus good fishing as well.

I have a short video I filmed of them driving the piles for the new moorings where the stores had been. 

1 hour ago, Bygoneboozers said:

Buck bought by Black Orange from Enterprise Inns ( I think) in 2019.

Anyone fancy renting it?

Enterprise and developers. Devil and deep blue sea springs to mind. I did have a chat with the landlady when I last went in. Seemed really enthusiastic and had some cracking beers on too. Such a shame. 

• Like 2

On 05/02/2021 at 10:22, webntweb said:

Riverside stores in August 1986.

655a Chris @ Brooms Brundall.jpg

Happy memories. I visited there twice that very same month. I remember the staff were eager to fit as many boats as they could on the staithe so as to maximise business. One crew committed the cardinal sin of outstaying their welcome, sitting in their saloon with the TV on they were very much reprimanded!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

A piano reminds me of another sadly lost pub.

The Jolly Butchers in Ber St., Norwich, with the landlady, "Black Anna" singing very risqué songs on an upright piano.

It was one of "the" places to be, in the 60s.

Went in there once!

• Like 1

I've an idea it came to a sad end - was it occupied by squatters at one point? I seem to recall they caused a lot of damage and although there was some attempt at restoration I dont think it ever recovered. A local councillor was involved somewhere. This is all very vague recollection. 

Back in the mid to late '70's no trip to Norwich was complete without a visit to the Plasterer's Arms. Very good beer, a friendly atmosphere  and I seem to recall that the landlord had a number of stuffed toothy varmints displayed on the wall - I think they were pine martens.  I believe that the pub is still there, or was pre-lockdown, but I suspect it has been tarted up out of all recognition. Part of me wants to re-visit but the other part warns that re-visiting places where you have good memories often leads to disappointment, especially when 40+ years have intervened. 

• Like 3