Lost Broads Pubs

webntweb

Hi Steve 

You'll be pleased to know that the Plasterers is still very much as it was, been smartened up a bit but still retains it's atmosphere. We always pop in when in Norwich. Good range of beer too, often ones you don't find elsewhere. We'll worth a visit. The Kings Head, Artichoke and Leopard are also nearby, all highly recommended :default_beerchug:

DSC_1815.JPG

DSC_1816.JPG

2 hours ago, SteveO said:

biggest thing that looks to have changed is the food

To be honest it's not a dominant feature - it is still very much a drinking pub. It doesn't smell of chips or anything when you go in. 

The Kings Head nearby does pretty much do the pickled egg bit though. That is all about you'll get in there! No keg beers either (don't tell Fireman Sam) :default_norty:

The Artichoke has been taken over by the Golden Triangle brewery. The beer is excellent but they do feature grub a bit more prominently. 

Having said all this I hope they all weather the storm and can re-open again. That applies to all pubs of course. :default_beerchug:

• Like 2

Having stopped at YYS many times since the 60s I can't remember ever going into the Swan.

Early holidays with my mates it was always dashing off to the bright lights of Yarmouth, and then later with our children and then grandchildren it was off the boat and down to the seaside.

We did use the Suspension Bridge Tavern at least a couple of times though.

• Like 1

We went in there, the first time on the Broads in 1973. Then it was a no pretence back street type of place. There happened to be a darts match in progress I remember, and we were offered sandwiches at their interval. Great night. We have returned many times latterly, and can say that the Steak Pie was every bit as good as that served at the Ship in Reedham. Praise indeed. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, webntweb said:

Having stopped at YYS many times since the 60s I can't remember ever going into the Swan.

Early holidays with my mates it was always dashing off to the bright lights of Yarmouth, and then later with our children and then grandchildren it was off the boat and down to the seaside.

We did use the Suspension Bridge Tavern at least a couple of times though.

After reopening a few backs after a period of closure that too seems to have gone good now.  

https://whatpub.com/pubs/NOR/331/suspension-bridge-tavern-great-yarmouth

• Like 1

I have a good tale from the days when I used to do viking re-enactment about pubs, we had a show at a castle somewhere in the nether regions of north wales, it may well have been denbigh.

the first night we went out to the pubs, and most of the local pubs by the next morning had signs outside - no vikings, except for the bikers pub, so all of the vikings went there, the local bikers took one look at this hairy bunch armed to the teeth with swords and gave us absolutely no trouble, that night we drank the pub dry (it helped that a lot of the vikings were also bikers or ex bikers).

the following day the landlord was going round all the other pubs scrounging barrels of beer, they all asked him was there any trouble, to which he replied that there was no hassle the only trouble was that he ran out of beer.

the other crafty welsh publicans thought about it and sold him more beer at a price he was happy to pay over the odds as he had seen us all drinking. the other publicans then ordered extra beer and put out signs saying vikings welcome. this backfired on them because word had passed round the vikings so they all went back the following night to the one pub that had welcomed them, and proceeded to drink it dry again, 

Vikings have long memories too, as the following year we went back, and once again went to the welcoming biker pub, he had been warned and doubled his stock just for us- yes we drank him dry again, and didnt visit the other pubs.

• Like 4

Guest Jayfire
4 hours ago, Smoggy said:

A bikers pub doesn't usually mean problems, often the opposite.

This is true, although I'm about to buy a new bike once again so expect all of that to change shortly :default_smiley-angelic002:

Loving seeing the Broads pub history, even if most of them I was never able to visit 😥 

On 31/01/2021 at 20:25, Bygoneboozers said:

On signs, and going back to the Eagle in Neatishead. Its sign used to be in Fat Cat in Norwich at one time. Might even still be there.

we are in possession of one of the eagle hanging signs (unsure of its age) hoping to have it hanging at the white horse soon inside

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I hope he brings the prices back into the real world, the last time we walked up to the door of the river garden we saw a price list beside the door, had a little chuckle and walked away again to have a nice night in the buck, that would have been a few years ago now as rarely go into thorpe.

• 4 weeks later...