Draught Proof

Andrewcook

On my previous boat there were 4 vents on the roof with grilles on the inside, no problem on the bss as plenty of ventilation, when I had to take down the roof lining (it was toungue and grooved) to run some cables I found the vents didn't line up and the gap was filled with 1" polystyrene for insulation!

When the roof lining went back up the joining gaps were left open and the polystyrene fixed so it couldn't slide back and block them, after a particularly bumpy trip from wells to kings lynn with lots of punching through wave peaks there were lots of polystyrene beads in the top roof vents where the air had been sucked out of the cabin as the water roled over the cabin roof.

As said don't just assume when it comes to ventilation.

• Like 1

You need ventilation for everything. If you have no air circulation, you will trap air inside which will lead to condensation, mould growth, carbon monoxide build up and other nasties. All houses, cars, boats, caravans etc have ventilation. And you need high and low vents so that you get an air-flow at different levels. These things so not need to be behind cookers, for example. In fact, better if they are not as a strong direct gust could extinguish a flame.

• Like 4

some vents are put in to cover up holes from accidents or purely access to fittings, poorly fitting canopies were easily justified in the past with a sticker saying "This is a ventilator do not block"

a few years ago some boats could have a gas cooker, gas fridge and 4-6 gas heaters, as the heaters and fridges changed the ventilators were removed as they leaked or looked old. 

Brush strip has a place on boats but I don't like it, its generally used as an easy way out but soon looks crap, I do accept sometimes its the best option.. 

A lot of thought can go into draft proofing a new sliding canopy, (or not)

you do need adequate ventilation. 

• Like 6

On 31/01/2021 at 11:26, NeilB said:

We had to lift an engine up on a Horizon 35 once, it’s fitted in the middle of the galley with no hatch.  Cut hole in roof so we could pass a chain through and this was then disguised as a roof vent !  

All the horizon 35s/42s built by Horizon craft had the vent fitted, if an engine needed changing then  fibreglass window cut outs were used to slide the engine on its sump through the galley to the saloon. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, C.Ricko said:

All the horizon 35s/42s built by Horizon craft had the vent fitted, if an engine needed changing then  fibreglass window cut outs were used to slide the engine on its sump through the galley to the saloon. 

One of the engineers from Stalham came out to us once, we were on a finesse that developed a gear box problem. He explain how you changed engines through the saloon roof. Seemed like hard work to me...lucky for him it was a simple gear linkage problem. 

• Like 1