Dredging

Andrewcook

Really?

I don't think the channel has altered markedly for a long time, although I think they  did put some new posts up around Breydon Bridge some years ago.

I think there is plenty of natural scour on Breydon and in any case is there a need to keep a 10' depth for the sake of it? That tug shoving the Thai may have taken a few lumps off - they tend to draw more than is apparent.

Channel looks pretty wide to me - why on earth would anyone want it wider? Or was that just a "tongue in cheek " comment I missed.

Cannot have it all ways though - Andrew seems to think more dredging is appropriate, others think the tolls are too high!!!

• Like 3

Hi Marshman I agree the River Tolls is more then Inflation as I think B A should have another Rethink on Tolls as to Maintainance I.E. Dredging near ACLE recently as to putting a Mooring Exctricity Post but lack of Moorings up keep needs to be done or Land Leases to be secured for the future with Funds they have I think ? as to Few Boating activity in 2020 / 2021 Should be taken in concideration

1 hour ago, marshman said:

Really?

I don't think the channel has altered markedly for a long time, although I think they  did put some new posts up around Breydon Bridge some years ago.

I think there is plenty of natural scour on Breydon and in any case is there a need to keep a 10' depth for the sake of it? That tug shoving the Thai may have taken a few lumps off - they tend to draw more than is apparent.

Channel looks pretty wide to me - why on earth would anyone want it wider? Or was that just a "tongue in cheek " comment I missed.

Cannot have it all ways though - Andrew seems to think more dredging is appropriate, others think the tolls are too high!!!

Never felt too narrow or shallow to me either...

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Andrewcook said:

Hi Marshman I agree the River Tolls is more then Inflation as I think B A should have another Rethink on Tolls as to Maintainance I.E. Dredging near ACLE recently as to putting a Mooring Exctricity Post but lack of Moorings up keep needs to be done or Land Leases to be secured for the future with Funds they have I think ? as to Few Boating activity in 2020 / 2021 Should be taken in concideration

Tolls are due for discussion at the re-convened meeting on the 9th Feb & Public questions can be raised up to 3 clear days before

https://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/about-us/committees/broads-authority/broads-authority-29-january-2021

19 hours ago, marshman said:

Really?

I agree entirely. It doesn't seem any narrower and even if it had lost a bit of width or depth, does it really matter? There are plenty of other areas that would benefit from the money it would cost to dredge that channel

1 hour ago, marshman said:

The trouble is, Andrew, everything you ask for costs more money ,not less!!  It doesn't grow on trees!!!

Another perennial complaint is that we do not see enough Rangers around - thats being addressed but who is going to pay the salaries?

The problem with tolls for many appears to be the same as the problem most areas see with council tax. I don't think many people in their heart of hearts would say that there should be no tolls, however I do think many people question where the money goes. Dredging is visible, as are new and upgraded moorings, but there are many (including the cynic in me if I'm honest) that would question how much money gets frittered away on vanity projects and activities that don't benefit the people paying tolls. As an example, if I was an owner paying a toll I'd be rather cheesed off with the BA wasting money on putting a SUP and kayak launch point at Hoveton Riverside Park, as is currently being looked at. Yes, all watercraft pay a toll, but the amount paid by small unpowered craft is miniscule. Not to mention that having SUPs and kayaks buggering about on the approach to busy moorings and a bleeding bridge is a recipe for disaster; they're bad enough around WRC down south. Cards on the table, frankly the majority I encountered last summer were a bloody menace.

The biggest problem I see is that very few people really trust the BA any more.

And don't get me started on the matter of hire boats causing the trouble so they should pay, as was suggested on the other thread about tolls etc. I really do think that some private owners are happy just to have a pop at hirers for anything they can find, and it really does boil my blood. Without those hirers do people really think that services we currently enjoy would still be there? Hirers are not perfect. Neither are private owners. One day I hope to own a boat, but if I ever developed the attitude a great many owners have I'd think seriously about why I'd bought the boat in the first place.

Finally, rangers: I'd love to see a few more. Maybe around that lovely, and expensive looking, boathouse they built at Irstead? Seems there's never a ranger around when someone's being irresponsible. 

29 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

rangers: I'd love to see a few more. Maybe around that lovely, and expensive looking, boathouse they built at Irstead? Seems there's never a ranger around when someone's being irresponsible. 

and how many times do you pass this shed and its locked up with the boat inside?

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, chameleon said:

and how many times do you pass this shed and its locked up with the boat inside?

33 minutes ago, MaceSwinger said:

Exactly my point.

But how many times do you pass this shed (or billet) in the course of a day, week or month? Just because the patrol vessel isn't being used when you pass by, it doesn't mean the ranger isn't on duty. Who do you think carries out bank clearance? Yes, rangers, and they normally use a work boat rather than a patrol launch. Sometimes, it's more efficient to carry out maintanance checks on mooring by road, rather than launch.

There's no mystery here. If you look at the figures regularly publish, the hours spent on patrolling, conservation, admin. etc. are clearly shown.

• Like 3

exactly , so the patrolling is secondary, and when afloat i moor at stalham so pass numerous times a week and see it not in use regularly, the whole point is that the patrol boats are not out enough,even seen it in on sat afternoon when common sense says it could be beneficial given the traffic

• Like 2

Hope this is OK to post. It's Breydon, and looks like the guy would have been happy to have a wider channel. Interesting to see the gouge his prop took out on it's way up the mud banks. He took the video himself and posted it to Youtube, so guessing he doesn't mind it being viewed. 

47 minutes ago, DAVIDH said:

Hope this is OK to post. It's Breydon, and looks like the guy would have been happy to have a wider channel. Interesting to see the gouge his prop took out on it's way up the mud banks. He took the video himself and posted it to Youtube, so guessing he doesn't mind it being viewed. 

Would seem to be a far better pilot of his drone then his boat 🤦‍♂️

Just looked at the video again, it's clearly a laps in concentration,rather then someone lost or confused with the markers.I'd also suggest at some speed as well. Maybe the young person you see in the vid was at the wheel while the adult was flying the drone filming the boat at speed. 

I challenge those who feel there should be better training and/or better marking for crossing Breydon, to say just how they would regulate for anything as silly as this!

What's more they obviously went on there at high tide, instead of crossing at low water as they should have been.  I wonder how much trouble they had getting off again, at high tide?

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

I challenge those who feel there should be better training and/or better marking for crossing Breydon, to say just how they would regulate for anything as silly as this!

I am not going to accept that challenge!

I have crossed Breydon scores of times, I take the hazards for granted, ingrained knowledge I suppose. In all those crossings I don't recollect ever seeing any warnings regarding the risks of grounding should I go outside the posts. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I have crossed Breydon scores of times, I take the hazards for granted, ingrained knowledge I suppose. In all those crossings I don't recollect ever seeing any warnings regarding the risks of grounding should I go outside the posts. 

Maybe I've not been paying attention, but even "that" yellow marker by Breydon Bridge doesn't have any signage warning about cutting the corner. There was a boat aground there as I passed through last August.

Skippers' Manuas on hire cruisers all have a very thorough section on crossing Breydon, including staying in the marked channel, and of course the Heron map and Collins guide both make specific mention of the channel markers (with the Collins guide even stating that you should cross at low water).

I wouldn't like to guess at how many people actually read the Skippers' Manual though...

23 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I don't recollect ever seeing any warnings regarding the risks of grounding should I go outside the posts. 

Well, I don't know what could be more bleedin' obvious than two parallel lines of big marker posts, green on one side and red on the other!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

He must have bean going fast looking at the length and depth of the trench his prop dug out, why do people advertise there stupidity/mistakes i would be mortified if people found out that i had done something stupid. Perhaps! his steering failed so no body's fault. John

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

Well, I don't know what could be more bleedin' obvious than two parallel lines of big marker posts, green on one side and red on the other!

You and I alike but seemingly it's not apparent to everyone! I have been in between the red and the green only to be shouted at by the the skipper of a boat well outside the channel warning me that I was the wrong side of the posts, that was just before he ran aground. 

• Haha 1