Art Of The Broads

JennyMorgan

54 minutes ago, Canarytops said:

Isn't that a keel ?

I noticed that too. What's more, I have just realised the painting is of Thorpe Green, in the days before the railway was built, so the left bank is open water meadows right over to Crown Point.  The artist would have been on the quay of what is now called the Rushcutters, then called the Three Tuns.

I also notice that the keel appears to be loaded with tree trunks and has one floating alongside.  Maybe that is why the mast is cocked, so as to use the halyard to load it on board, after floating it out from the bank?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

W Leslie Rackham was an excellent painter but sadly his paintings have not stood the test of time well.

Firstly he painted in watercolours but cheap ones and many of his paintings have faded, and some have "lost" a lot of the colour. Whilst he could paint exceptionally well, it is recorded, I believe, that he also was fond of the odd drink or two!

He lived I think in or around Thorpe St Andrew and he sold his paintings cheaply, perhaps in the pub, probably Vaughans favourite, and never bought proper paints , nipping down to Jarrolds for the bog standard box of watercolours.

Because of the condition of most of his paintings they are not especially valuable but his detail and depiction of that wonderful curve of a wherry's sail is IMHO second to none  - its a shame many can now look a bit "washed" out as they often depicted so well those wonderful craft that were once an integral part of the Broadland landscape.

• Like 1