Blake’s / Holeseasons 1972 Brouchre

Roy

Looking at the Horning boat database Porter and Haylett had a class of 3 Caroline 35ft Forward steers with what looks like very early Horizon 35 hull built cc 1972. Not sure if that is what you are looking for. Unfortunately I am not very good at adding links

Neil

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Broads01 said:

I didn't know the Horizon 35 had a predecessor but that hull shape is unmistakeable. The superstructure bears no resemblance, however, so presumably the Horizon 35 just used a "borrowed" hull shape?

I remember these Simon, one in particular I remember had a torques superstructure with a white coach roof. I think it was called Triton, but that's not 100%.They seemed like a tubby version of clive dad's design. I'm sure Clive will know more! 

• Like 1

Am I the only one who misses the detailed boat descriptions, engine type etc etc they use to print in the brochures.The first thing we done every year was to check out that seasons new boats, if we couldn't afford that years new offerings, it was plan b and look for boats that had been refitted. They use to make a big deal about boats that had under gone major refurbs back then not so much nowadays though. 

Thanks Andyg I have already spoken to Clive about this boat but unfortunately he did not know about her. 

I am trying to find information on her as at the moment she is lying in bits in a boat shed in a very sad way. I thought she may have been one of the first horizon 35s a broads bit of history ? 

Roy 

I think the original Horizon 35 design dates (at least as a hire boat) to 1972 and Superline.

YYYY-MjfjfjM-DD-0002.thumb.jpeg.c83a48709638e3cad9175c697c4004f2.jpeg

Number 3 became Topline for the 1973 season.

The design was soon adopted by numerous yards and in large numbers. Caroline was built on the Horizon hull with a Porter & Haylett superstructure. They did not stay long at Wroxham and had ended up with Alpha Craft, F.W. Cruisers and Harvey Eastwood by the end of the decade.

Fred

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Can anyone help with photos or broucher images of .  LUCY STREAM II hired out of Oulton Broad.   STAR PREMIER  hired from Jack Powells of Wroxham.   Finally. WATER GYPSY ..hired from Wroxham.  All of the above hired in the early 70's. 

Many thanks.

You can e mail me if you want.

Email removed for security reasons, please use the PM system - Moderators 

Edited by grendel
remove email address

I've always thought the central hinged roof design was a good idea and seems to have advantages over the more common roll back canopies of the time. It can be used as a sun shade for one thing and I would have thought a lot more durable too. I guess ultimately they were overtaken by full sliding roofs.

1589305717_watergypsy2.thumb.jpeg.444f51f330e861f0a114daca151f6b82.jpeg

1198220849_watergypsy1.thumb.jpeg.a14f4a69ee14ac1ba97ab49386885920.jpeg

Ist photo is from Blakes catalogue of 1968 and the second from 1976.

These were quite iconic boats with a forward cockpit which also had dual controls.

One of them has recently been beautifully restored by my nephew, Ben Knight.

The only Lucky Stream I can find is a more modern, aft cockpit Fibreglass boat from Southgates, but I can't find one from Olulton Broad.

• Like 2

On 04/02/2021 at 10:03, trambo said:

I think the original Horizon 35 design dates (at least as a hire boat) to 1972 and Superline.

YYYY-MjfjfjM-DD-0002.thumb.jpeg.c83a48709638e3cad9175c697c4004f2.jpeg

Number 3 became Topline for the 1973 season.

The design was soon adopted by numerous yards and in large numbers. Caroline was built on the Horizon hull with a Porter & Haylett superstructure. They did not stay long at Wroxham and had ended up with Alpha Craft, F.W. Cruisers and Harvey Eastwood by the end of the decade.

Fred

That post brought back memories...

My family hired Superline 1 and 2 from Richardsons in the late 70's, as well as Escapade. Superline was our first trip to the Broads, with fond memories to this day, reignited as an adult in wanting to now get my own boat  !