Long Time Since I’ve Been Around

Paulr181

Hello all. It’s been a little while since I have been around on the forum, infact Feb 2014 was my last visit after our trip aboard Richardson’s Carousel 3. 

The original plan was to return once a year, however in 2014 we ended up having our first child.....Guy was born October of 2014 and then we had another in 2017 Brooke. 
I also started my own business building campervans in 2015 which grew and grew until Covid lockdowns caused issues beyond being able to save the business and in September 2020 I had to cease trading. 

So it’s been a busy few years since my last tale on board carousel and our last visit to the broads. 

we have taken to caravans (my second favourite holiday, with the broads being my favourite) so that’s also been fun including rebuilding our current caravan last year. 

We had promised ourselves to return to the broads when the kids were old enough and decided as Guy will be 7 this year and Brooke 4 this year we would book up and get ours selves on board once more. 
we have Booked up with Richardson’s once more and this time have chosen Monaco P as our cruiser of choice. 
we enjoyed the RC45 range so much when hiring Carousel last visit, and with the split bed front cabin design of Monaco we decided we liked the security it offered with the kids being at the front of the boat and we would sleep at the back by the door. 

I cannot wait for our return, although the Covid situation posses a risk for bookings and pray we certainly won’t be lockdown so much that we cannot take the holiday by then. 

of course as before a tale will

follow. We booked one of the midweek bookings this time so slightly less time on board as we want to see how we get on with the kids, but if it’s anything like when I was younger I know they will love it!! 

Paul

• Like 7

I have just had a thought. 
we travel down from Durham, so it’s a good 5 hour drive. As we are on board I think from Monday I think I might tow the caravan down, and stay the weekend in the caravan, then keep the caravan pitched whilst we are on board the boat for the 4 nights then go back to the caravan for the final couple of nights. This will make a week of it, and also break up the travel times etc. Does anyone know of a caravan site near to the broads? 

Are you a member of The Caravan Club?  There’s one near Ludham Bridge and a very small site by Womack Water, but I’m not sure whether they are exclusively for CC members.  I believe there is a camping field by The Dog Inn at Ludham, so you could ask there, too.

• Like 1

Just now, Mouldy said:

Are you a member of The Caravan Club?  There’s one near Ludham Bridge and a very small site by Womack Water, but I’m not sure whether they are exclusively for CC members.  I believe there is a camping field by The Dog Inn at Ludham, so you could ask there, too.

Great thank you! 
yes we are CC members so ill take a look. 👍🏻

I used the CC at Eastwood Whelptons  you book via the boatyard. It’s at Upton with direct access to the Dyke and a great village pub. 
The field is quite exposed in windy weather, so check the forecast. 
I saw CC provision  at Hippersons Beccles too that is right on the river. 

Welcome back Paulr181, your post made me smile on account of the mention of caravanning. Years ago I was sat in a riverside pub with a retired hire boatyard owner and a funeral director friend of his, I can’t for the life of me remember his name, anyway the latter was quick to quip that the boatyard man taught him how to yacht but that he subsequently taught him how to “caravan”! 

Enjoy your trip, no shortage of caravan sites in Broadland!

Hi Paul you could ring Richardson's and leave your car and caravan there, they have a large site/ yard you could then drive to any number of local sites at the finish of your boating holiday if not there are a number of sites in the airier that will be suitable. John