ALTERNATIVE 240v SHORE POWER

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi all, As some of you will know, Karen and i will be on Swallow from Maffett cruisers in 5 weeks which DOES`NT have a 240v system. I was thinking about buying a 240v hook-up lead from a local caravan/camping shop and adapting it with a 2 way socket on the end, so Karen can run her 240v hair dryer and straighteners from (not at the same time), and also to run a Dcompact DVD player, and phone/camera chargers. The question is, is this possible, or indeed legal?. My thinking behind it is that every 240v appliance/apperatus comes with a fused plug fitted, so if there are any problems, the fuse would simply blow. I`m more than competent to wire up plugs etc, but am not electically minded (if you see what i mean?), so what are your thoughts on whether this is feasable, or as i said earlier, legal?. Regards to all ................... Neil.

Yes that will do the job fine, just make sure you secure the cable properly as you will have breakers popping out if it accidently falls in the water! your conventional shore hook up clips in so not to uncouple by accident.

Mark

Neil

I have one in the garage you can borrow,I can meet you in Loddon when you arrive by arrangement,it is the proper camping cable with 4 sockets and hook up plug on the other end.

It is similar to the one in the link

Hi,

We have a cable like the one in the link. Something to be aware of is the sockets are in line so if put a plug in a socket, the cable leaving the plug blocks the next socket down. Since we brought the socket we have spotted units with the sockets at 90 deg so you can fit 3 plugs in with no problems.

Ian

hi guys, if this lead is allowed by hire yards to power such things as hair dryers etc on their boats, this could be the answer to by boating prob for sept. iv seen a really nice boat that i want to hire but swmbo loved the boat untill she found out she could use her hairdryer etc, please let me no how you get on with it bill thanks