Holidays

Andrewcook

20 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

When my number four had her 18th birthday we had 79 tents in the garden for the weekend. Just a thought, three months holiday letting, all very primitive though.

79 tents in the garden eh, sounds like you could fit a nice sized house or two on there!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ZimbiIV said:

Must be bad down there for no bin collections, we only have about 5 inches of snow but the bins were emptied today as normal.

Not even enough snow to send the ploughs in advance of the bin lorry.

paul

by lunch time the 2" of snow we had overnight had cleared, even off our back road, the footpaths cleared shortly after, it seems our bin men use any excuse not to work. as this will be the second time the bins were not emptied this year, and they have already collected 1 day late once too.

Worrying times indeed for all in the leisure and hospitality industry. I've personally got two holidays rolled over from last year. One in the UK and one abroad. We are quite confident our UK holiday to norfolk in Sept will go ahead but we are also due to travel in May to the Portuguese Island of porto santo. This I very much doubt will go ahead, Portugal are suffering another wave of covid infections and are way behind the uk in terms of vaccine roll out. Sadly we have decided to refund this holiday and will put on hold any further plans of overseas travel for at least a further 12 months. In our view the government got it wrong last year by opening up holidays both here and abroad and have realised this. My brother works in the Aviation industry for a big European tour operator they currently have all their 787 dreamliner aircraft deployed on transatlantic cargo flights for car manufacturers and some government charter flights, which is bringing in some well needed revenue, but his worried for his future as his company are losing huge sums of money each month. Luckily for him he works on the maintenance side of the operation so potentially will be in the last group to go if things do go peared shaped. I heard on the BBC news this morning government scientist's are recommending social distancing measures will need to left in place until the autumn.. Quite worrying if your a butlins type operation

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, SwanR said:

Could be that it’s the same staff driving the gritters overnight as drive the bin lorries?

certainly is here jean , have trained many bin lorry drivers to drive the loading shovel to load their own gritter, they have a rota as it is classed as overtime on the gritters

• Like 1

We've not been abroad (unless scotland counts, well they do speak funny) since 1999 and have no plans to anytime soon, the last uk holiday not using our own boat was 2006 and it ended up with us buying another boat so holiday wise it's just down to booking the time off work and going boating, till things are looking better I won't be booking any time off.

Ali gets her first jab on sunday morning so that will be a step closer, I should get mine by Christmas..... I gotta say the rate it's being rolled out I'm fairly sure I won't be that far behind her, top work NHS and thank you all! :default_trophy:

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, webntweb said:

UK government are saying don't book summer holidays yet.

They have tied themselves up in knots with this, as several ministers have admitted to having booked summer holidays in this country. It's illegal currently to go on holiday. It is not illegal to book a holiday. The unified message should have been that if you make plans for a holiday this spring or summer, and conditions do not allow it to go ahead, your plans will be overturned. I think most people realise this, and there are now a number of travel companies offering free transfers or full refunds should Covid restriction stop you from travelling. 

Got a trip to Spain booked in September, carried over from last September. You never know, might manage to get to go on that, but only if things seem pretty stable as I got caught out at the start of all this.

I had driven to Sweden via the Netherlands and Germany in January, flew back in mid February with return fight booked in April to pick up the car only to find myself trapped here and the car 1500miles away and unreachable!

• Sad 1