Some more 'new' faces

Dan

• 1 month later...
Looks like next year will see some more norfolk built boats come back as Corvette, Countess & Continentale classes are available, with the baby Capri's having gone:

http://www.leboat.co.uk/ Search for availability for The Broads for a date next year to load them up

All the best

Dan

So does this mean that Leboat have managed to get the clasp off the Horner wallet again? :grin:

Beyond me then old chap, but it does look like a 'Cut and Shut' job?

Yeah that is really Jimbob - it was orinally one of their 37ft centre sliding canopy models that had a new top moulded for it and sort of plonked on top of the original superstricture rather than replacing it fully, and fill in bits added where the original side sliding door etc was.

You can see it even more clearly in this photo, especially around the sliding canopy runners, area around the rearmost stern window and where the door once was.

Dan

post-93-136713854038_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This is probably a really stupid question but ... is the wheel on the other side because its continental? I'm not sure I could get used to driving from that side. Some of them look like quite high boats, is airdraft going to be a problem or are the pictures deceiving? Le Boat have some nice designs and its great to see them expanding their fleet.

Also do Alphas have a cut and shut jobby or does it just look that way?

The wheel doesn't normally change side because of that, and the internal one is still on the left in the Corvette, I think it's just there to work with the internal layout as there is a sliding door on top, steep steps down and then sette/galley that fits better by being on the right. The steering wheel being on a different side, or in the middle as it is on some of the popular french craft doesn't matter quite so much when its the one on the roof I always find, because your vision is still so much improved up there, but I must agree - I dont really like internal steering wheels on the right.

They are fairly tall so it will be good to see them all sat in the yard alongside the other designs as you can then assess at a glance how that height compares to designs we already know and are used to.

Dan

No wheel position has nothing to do with being "continental" as even in the UK we drive on the right on the water.

(That is the international standard)

It seems to be down to the boat designer, and personally I hate cruisers with the wheel on the right

as it makes handling meeting traffic difficult in restricted waters.

With Fly bridge models it isn't so difficult but for some reason Wild's

put in a right hand drive position on their Bahamas and

judging passing manoeuvres going up to Dilham was particularly fraught.

hi dan, quite like the look of the corvette and think it will do well on the broads. to be honest like most of what p&h built and it was a real shame to see them go. will never hire one as i think all le boat boats are way over priced both on the broads and the thames. now you never no what clive may pop up with over the winter ah ;) could see the corvette working well out of acle....

Agree with Andy that the 'Corvette' is a nice design. Pity they still have the 'Caprice' class on the Broads. Saw an obviously distressed skipper on the Chet, in pouring rain trying to handle one of these monsters. Not much fun at all. In agreement with everyone who thinks their pricing policy is strange to say the least. I would not mind paying top whack if the boats presentation was good but have to say I thought they were amongst the scruffiest boats I saw for hire this year.

Fred

I like the interior & layout on the Corvette, though the crude way the exterior was put together I am not keen on.

I think the Caprice's really should have had bow thrusters as hire craft, and expensive/luxury ones at that and given their design. They do work very well inside though, so I can see them being good abroad where their height poses less problems.

I have problems with Le Boat's pricing as well, though they seem to like to continually do special offers of differing types so I now ignore their brochure prices and do availability searches which seems to often bring up something closer to the price expected to hire a boat at! They are often expensive on the Broads, especially the designs that are newer to their fleet here, but on the Thames they are actually quite competitive for that waterway.

This August I booked a 29' sedan (Capri TS) from them that was of good standard and paid less than what Caversham's Safari 25 was at the time, whilst the Safari was perhaps more immaculately presented outside overall the standard difference, especially the interior really meant this was a no brainer, and good value. I've booked another Thames holiday with them for next year, again at prices no other Thames operator was competitive/close on, with only the damage waiver being an unwelcome sky high difference, but taken as a total holiday cost still quite acceptable. I do prefer to use private businesses if I'm honest, but other than fuel cost & waiver cost every other aspect of my holiday was hard to fault.

Dan

As Perry said earlier the Broom is like the Princess 30 DS which we had for around five years.Such a lot built into 30 feet and we slept 7 on occasions, the only reason we changed for the Bounty was the ability to go under any bridge and the ease of mooring boarding etc.The only thing that we would have liked on the Princess was a door in the transom with a platform for easier access. :Stinkycheersbar

Had a look around Clarion, the 900FB Richardson's have just added after a few improvements.

Have to say the interior worked really well and what a great little boat, if a little different to many of the popular Broads designs.

Usual good, solid and pleasant quality interior that were the Porter & Haylett early '90s fitouts, with a few nice updates like 240v, new upholstery and a nice finishing touch was the teak effect floor rather than lino. Here's a few pictures....

post-93-136713854362_thumb.jpg

post-93-13671385438_thumb.jpg

post-93-136713854394_thumb.jpg

post-93-13671385441_thumb.jpg

post-93-136713854423_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
If it weren't for Viscount having only 2 made up doubles I'd be booking her in a heartbeat for September/October next year. (One of my party has no desire to make a bad each night, blooming spoilsport)

Are you getting your Richardsons boats in a muddle.... Viscount has only fixed berths with none to make up

cheersbar

Dan

Dan, I think he is after more than two cabins, or two with a sofa conversion in the saloon....

Spot on, there. As the party is made up of one couple and two singles (one of the singles being to tall to actually fit in a single bed comfortably) we need three cabins, preferably all doubles so the current front runner is Star Time from DRL Marine.