Most Of The Oldies Have Had The Jab Now.

Chelsea14Ian

It seems most of the oldies have now been vaccinated. Just for a minute think.If the Government decides to open travel  aboard to those  who've had the jab.Then Perhaps many oldies will go clubbing in Ibiza leaving  youngsters at home.Think they may have to change  music and booze.:default_biggrin::default_drinks::594c04f570582_default_happyparty:

57 minutes ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Then Perhaps many oldies will go clubbing in Ibiza leaving  youngsters at home

the fact still remains that the jab only protects the person immunised by preventing the severe symptoms, there is no proof that those vaccinated cant catch the virus and pass it on, far too many people seem to be under the misapprehension that the virus will enable them to ignore the restrictions and go back to a normal lifestyle, all the vaccination is doing is reducing the severity and allowing the NHS to cope.

• Like 8

I'm probably going to get a bit of a slapping for posting this but, here goes.

The main danger with Covid19 is that those over a certain age become seriously ill, sometimes fatally, and need hospital attention. When this disease is spreading rapidly, there is a real danger that the hospitals become overwhelmed. HOWEVER, if those who would normally have to go to hospital, are protected by having had the jab, then those who are not in the highly vulnerable group, could, in theory, carry on with normal life.

If the majority of those remaining "unjabbed" become ill, but not dangerously so, then the whole issue will rate as importantly as the flu. The NHS will be fine and we can all go boating again!

Ok, where are the stocks? I'll come quietly!  

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I'm probably going to get a bit of a slapping for posting this but, here goes.

The main danger with Covid19 is that those over a certain age become seriously ill, sometimes fatally, and need hospital attention. When this disease is spreading rapidly, there is a real danger that the hospitals become overwhelmed. HOWEVER, if those who would normally have to go to hospital, are protected by having had the jab, then those who are not in the highly vulnerable group, could, in theory, carry on with normal life.

If the majority of those remaining "unjabbed" become ill, but not dangerously so, then the whole issue will rate as importantly as the flu. The NHS will be fine and we can all go boating again!

Ok, where are the stocks? I'll come quietly!  

I'm beside you in the stocks then, as long as the nhs can cope at some point we have to live with the virus not hide from it, if not bad enough to need hospitalisation getting ill is not a big problem and something that happens all the time with other illnesses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

My post was meant  as a joke.I'm fully aware of all the implications regarding  Covid.In my opinion, I cant see much changing for some time.Even though  I've  had my first jab,Iwill act the same as if I hadn't been vaccinated. 

Joke or not, my concern is that those of us a long way down the list may have to live this life of retreat for longer while others start to ignore the rules and go out. I agree with the priorities that have been set with good reason. But those of you who have had your first jab, please don’t forget that there’s a lot of us still feeling completely at risk as we have no protection at all yet. 

• Like 5

Sorry people  have taken my post the wrong  way.Take it as a light  lighthearted look on what is a serious  situation. I've  spent most of a year shielding. I've suffered  pneumonia, lung Cancer and still have Shingles. As I said even with the jab I will still take extra  care and do what is needed to get back to some kind of normal.

• Like 4

And my post wasn't aimed at you personally Ian. I know that you have had a very tough time. I understand that it must be such a relief for those in the more vulnerable categories to be getting their vaccinations.

I just wanted to remind those people that while you are rightly jubilant, please don't forget about those of us still waiting.

• Like 2

I do understand, after all Nicola and Alan are some way off getting the vaccine. It is a worry  until all of us are vaccinated. I think its reasonable  to suggest  that most in the UK will be vaccinated  by Autumn. Much of Europe  is way behind  the  UK in vaccinating there population.Therefore who knows when any of us can freely  travel sadly.

• Like 1

Well the MIL had her jab here. Two paramedics turned up and did the deed. They were 9 hours into a 10 hour shift and will have completed 50 home visits. They said if they were in a vaccination centre they would have done nearly 400 between them. That is the reason home visits were last on the list.

They are preparing to start on the 65+ next weekend as well as second doses and then the 60+ and underlying health conditions 2 weeks later. The roll out seems to be going at speed.

The local hospital opened a walk in centre on Friday for four days for any over 70s.

It won't be long before all the higher risk groups have been done.

The biggest concern is care home staff refusing to be jabbed, particularly amongst the BAME members. That is something that will need to be addressed to avoid visitors being banned.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SwanR said:

Joke or not, my concern is that those of us a long way down the list may have to live this life of retreat for longer while others start to ignore the rules and go out.

9 hours ago, SwanR said:

I just wanted to remind those people that while you are rightly jubilant, please don't forget about those of us still waiting.

I have quoted two of your points Jean as they are both very important. Having the vaccine does not in any way mean one can ignore the rules. They apply to all, jabbed or not. 

Whilst I'm certain that everybody here knows that only too well, it is worth having it writ large.

Not only the letter of the 'law' but the spirit of it too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Chelsea14Ian said:

Then Perhaps many oldies will go clubbing in Ibiza leaving  youngsters at home.

We have been to Ibiza many times (11x with the kids & 4x without) and have never been in one of those sorts of clubs!

This was in 2019 (had to cancel for 2020 due to the virus; wanna go back again).
Comments are in German but just enjoy the video...

I doubt if we will be able to go in 2021

2 hours ago, Hylander said:

HEM - thank you for the video.   What lovely memories,  that is one thing this darn virus cannot take from us all.   I must say it does very nice and not busy at all.

Thanks - the resort offered (I have to use the past tense as Corona has badly affected the team there) a hike each Saturday morning to the Hippy Market in San Carlos where the Hippies first congregated in the 1960s.  The route is mostly along back lanes & paths which makes it interesting.  Sometimes there are > 20 people in the group; this time we were just 4.

We did the hike the previous year where we got caught in a massive thunderstorm & were drenched to the skin...
Filmed that as well...  You have to see the thunderstorms on ibiza to believe them.

10 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

When it rains in Spain . . . . . . . .  well, Ibiza and the Hippy Market in particular, it can really rain!

Oh yes - see here starting with gentle rains at 6:17 with downpour at 7:37.  Sven (who led the hike) had warned us before setting off that rain might come.  The girls whose stand we took shelter under took it all with humour whilst getting wetter & wetter...  We missed the rendezvous for the return hike, no busses, 3 taxis for many hundreds of people so we set off on foot (squelch).  After a couple of miles Sven & the jeep from the hotel appeared looking for us.