The Signal Box Brundall

Brundall signal box at the end of the Norwich bound platform (towards Stumpshaw) is/was all wood and is Grade 2 listed.

Is it still there, or was it removed when Brundall Junction (which it controlled) was remodelled.

It was taken out of use in March 2020 (a year late) when the wherry lines were re-signalled, now being controlled from Colchester.

Out of about twelve signal boxes only the three swing bridge boxes are still in use. Also eventually all level crossings gates will be (have been?) replaced by automatic gates controlled remotely from Colchester.

The signal box that is for rent appears to be brick/stone built and is called "Brundall Bridge".

Looking through the blurb on one of the websites on which this box is advertised it states "purpose built".

I can't find any reference to a signal box named Brundall Bridge so perhaps it is a new build.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, webntweb said:

I can't find any reference to a signal box named Brundall Bridge so perhaps it is a new build.

obviously,

A. not on railway property, needs to be lineside

B.signal boxes had all round visibilty so the signalman could see trains, this has blank walls

5 minutes ago, chameleon said:

obviously,

A. not on railway property, needs to be lineside

B.signal boxes had all round visibilty so the signalman could see trains, this has blank walls

Not sure why its obvious. Some disused signal boxes have been dismantled and re-erected in other places.

Windows could have been filled in to give privacy as a holiday let.

• Like 2

If it is an original box, it isn't in its original location. A bit far from the track an nowhere any railway infrastructure that needs controlling. Probably for the best though considering that people would want to sleep in it! 

• Like 1

I didn't realise they had stopped, used to be a regular sight along those lines. What a shame, certainly added a bit of character! They could certainly accelerate too - travelled on them many times. 

Edit - just thinking, assume its with the introduction of the new trains. I think they are still used for snow clearing and line checking duties - there is a guy on Twitter who posts videos of them leaving Lowestoft station. 

Maybe still used for goods too?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, floydraser said:

Airbnb describe it as "built in the style of a signal box". Fooled me. A very good fake with realistic brackets inside and out. If you didn't know, you would think there may have been a siding between it and the mainline.

I would agree, if you look closely it's a modern building but built in a traditional style, they've done a good job. Be great for railway buffs!

I'd hate to open that door when I've had few though :default_icon_e_surprised:

It's probably quieter now with fewer trains, no holidays now anyway, but normally there would be a train passing every half hour or so. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NorfolkNog said:

I didn't realise they had stopped, used to be a regular sight along those lines. What a shame, certainly added a bit of character! They could certainly accelerate too - travelled on them many times. 

Edit - just thinking, assume its with the introduction of the new trains. I think they are still used for snow clearing and line checking duties - there is a guy on Twitter who posts videos of them leaving Lowestoft station. 

Maybe still used for goods too?

DRS who own the class 37s that worked the routes out of Norwich to Gt Yarmouth, Lowestoft and Sheringham have 23 of these locos. At the moment they intend to keep about 12 running for at least five years - and longer if still viable. They have plenty of spares.

They did replace them on the above services for a short time with class 68s built by Stadler, who incidentally built the bi modes that have replaced them on Anglia services.

The 37s and later 68s were being used as a temporary replacement for a diesel multiple unit that was written off in a collision with a tractor - until the bi modes came into service.

There are a couple of other companies still running class 37s - which have been a reliable, long lived loco - 308(9) were built between 1960 and 1965.

Four of the class have been retained by Network Rail as departmental locos and renumbered Class 97/3 - three of which work solely on the Cambrian lines in Wales.

As of summer 2019 a third of the class 37s still survived - 68 of them in mainline service, the remainder either being used on heritage railways or in storage.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 15/02/2021 at 12:49, webntweb said:

DRS who own the class 37s that worked the routes out of Norwich to Gt Yarmouth, Lowestoft and Sheringham have 23 of these locos. At the moment they intend to keep about 12 running for at least five years - and longer if still viable. They have plenty of spares.

They did replace them on the above services for a short time with class 68s built by Stadler, who incidentally built the bi modes that have replaced them on Anglia services.

The 37s and later 68s were being used as a temporary replacement for a diesel multiple unit that was written off in a collision with a tractor - until the bi modes came into service.

There are a couple of other companies still running class 37s - which have been a reliable, long lived loco - 308(9) were built between 1960 and 1965.

Four of the class have been retained by Network Rail as departmental locos and renumbered Class 97/3 - three of which work solely on the Cambrian lines in Wales.

As of summer 2019 a third of the class 37s still survived - 68 of them in mainline service, the remainder either being used on heritage railways or in storage.

170204 was not written off but was repaired at Brodie Engineering in Scotland, it did suffer lots of niggle faults when it was returned to service but now works on the Welsh rural lines out of Cardiff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1